Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
It's only (bleep) TV :banghead:
We always seem to play to the lowest common denominator
We going to cost the industry billions and the govt paid billions
and the still the tards can't take care of getting free tv or buying their
own boxes...and it's only "precious" (note the sarcasm) TV...who cares :banghead:

Delay in analog TV shutdown presents challenges
January 23, 2009 6:51 PM EST
WASHINGTON - With the clock ticking toward the Feb. 17 deadline for TV broadcasters to shut off their analog signals and go entirely digital, analysts say more than 6.5 million households are not ready. Now Congress appears poised to postpone the transition to June - but a delay could bring its own problems.

To avoid blacking out TV sets in unprepared homes next month, the Obama administration is seeking the delay to give the government more time to fix a subsidy program that has run out of money for coupons that help consumers pay for digital converter boxes for older TVs.

Senate Democrats late Thursday reached a deal with skeptical Republicans on a bill to push the digital transition to June 12 - setting the stage for a vote early next week. The House is likely to move quickly after the Senate acts.

But one big problem with extending the transition, critics warn, is that many TV viewers could be confused. A delay could also be expensive for broadcasters. And it could burden public safety agencies and wireless companies waiting for the airwaves that will be freed by the shutdown of analog signals.

Government agencies, consumer groups, television broadcasters and other parts of the industry have invested more than $1 billion over the past several years to educate consumers about the shift to digital broadcasting. The message all along has been that analog signals would be shut off on Feb. 17.

The transition was supposed to happen back in '06, IIRC... I say too bad! Shut it off on Feb 17th "as advertised".

There are other industries affected by postponing the transition yet again. AT&T and Verizon have both purchased a huge chunk of the spectrum to be freed up...they should be going to the FCC and pressuring them to stick to the original deadline.

It always going to be someone getting to the boat late, if they wait until June they'll still be unprepared.

The transition was supposed to happen back in '06, IIRC... I say too bad! Shut it off on Feb 17th "as advertised".

TRUTH!
Why is our taxes funding peoples' entertainment anyway? Is there a law requiring us to have TVs that I don't know about? I don't even watch TV... am I supposed to, to maintain my citizenship?

If it is so apparent that we need to fund tv's because we must need them then why should we pay taxes on them. The government acts like these are a nesecity of life. Why should my tax dollars be spent on coupons.
Posted via Mobile Device

TV is probably the single largest contributor to a fat lazy America.. The dumbing down of the populace and indoctrination are probably the acts of the illuminati... :rofl:

pull the plug on TV for a month.. only thing I will miss is the Discovery channel..

pull the plug on TV for a month.. only thing I will miss is the Discovery channel..

good for you! go for 3 months and you will learn about a lot of things that are no longer important [NEWS] , and new things that become important

i say let them turn them off, maybe some of these peoples kids will lose weight learn to go out side and play, people will get jobs stop watching springer and TV programs on forensic science so that they can get away with killing there spouses... I bet they will all rush out and sell there kidneys or give blood to get the TV again anyway so its really not a problem and we all know what really happens when you go without TV just look at a homeless person...they have no TV, do you really wanna loose your mind ? LOL j/k kidding by the way

TV is probably the single largest contributor to a fat lazy America.. The dumbing down of the populace and indoctrination are probably the acts of the illuminati... :rofl:

and SPEED... and BBC (Top Gear)

good for you! go for 3 months and you will learn about a lot of things that are no longer important [NEWS] , and new things that become important
I never watch network or TV news.. I will not read a paper either... I go to the far left and far right news agency reports and try to find the middle ground.. TV is a disaster and I literally only watch a few channels ...

The BEST THING I have seen in weeks is the Bob Saget roast... OMG, I laughed so hard I had to get a diaper... if you have not seen it, you must!!! It actually changed my opinion about him, this guy must be fricken GOLDEN as a person... :bowdown:

you might be able to get some good outtakes here but BE WARNED... there is NO WAY this is going to be work safe...

http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/roast_saget/index.jhtml

the entire show will bring tears to your eyes from laughter and how great this guy must really be when you see just how much everyone actually cares for him... just amazing..

Last edited:
Turn it off on Feb. 17th. If they are not ready, too bad. Guess that would at least get them off their butt to get a converter. I don't understand what the big deal is. ???

Although I would hate to lose my Discovery & History channel. Oh wait; I have sat service so it won't affect me anyway. Damn procrastinators.

I never watch network or TV news.. I will not read a paper either... I go to the far left and far right news agency reports and try to find the middle ground.. TV is a disaster and I literally only watch a few channels ...

why didn't you take me up on my $100 challenge? I offer 100 to someone that can avoid ALL TV and ALL NEWS for a month. Oh well. I guess getting "news" from uncommon places is STILL "news" so that's out. I can spend it on me now. watch, I'll get 50 PMs now I suppose :laugh:

Waaaaahhhhh ... we're billion dollar companies and we can't wait four more months ... waaaaahhhhh. :cry:

why didn't you take me up on my $100 challenge? I offer 100 to someone that can avoid ALL TV and ALL NEWS for a month. Oh well. I guess getting "news" from uncommon places is STILL "news" so that's out. I can spend it on me now. watch, I'll get 50 PMs now I suppose :laugh:
(have not watched a news cast on tv in maybe 3 or 4 years...) everything is so biased that you can hardly trust anything they put out there.. it is all about NEW$ and shock value..

give up the Discovery channel for a month? hmmm maybe.. :laugh:

Waaaaahhhhh ... we're billion dollar companies and we can't wait four more months ... waaaaahhhhh. :cry:

There are billion dollar companies GOING OUT OF BUSINESS...
It ain't a joke...these people need to responsible for own lives
at least their own TV for gosh sakes...

Struggling Sprint Nextel to eliminate 8,000 jobs
January 26, 2009 5:23 PM EST
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Faced with persistent subscriber losses and questions about its long-term prospects, Sprint Nextel Corp. is slashing its already shrinking work force by 8,000 people as it seeks to cut annual costs by $1.2 billion.

The layoffs, announced Monday, are just the latest attempt by the nation's third-largest cell phone carrier to right its financial ship in the face of tough competition and a brutal economy. They come slightly more than a year after the company cut 4,000 jobs and closed 125 retail centers as Chief Executive Dan Hesse, then new on the job, aimed to show he was serious about streamlining operations.

Sprint said it expects the latest round of layoffs, which represent a 14 percent reduction of its 56,000 employees, will be largely completed by March 31. The company said it will take a first-quarter charge of more than $300 million for severance and other costs.

About 850 of the layoffs are voluntary, through employees taking buyouts. They will make up about $45 million of the total severance costs, the company said in a securities filing.

In addition to the cuts, Sprint said it will suspend its 401(k) match for the year, extend a freeze on salary increases and suspend a tuition reimbursement program.

Gonna have to raise the BS flag on you....I distinctly remember a thread about you getting ready for "jack" to come back on and save the world. A little man love going on...:poke::laugh:

You guys are funny...now go watch TV.

People actually watch TV still ? :rofl: I thought it was just a component for my BlueRay player to broadcast on. :whistle:

There are billion dollar companies GOING OUT OF BUSINESS...
It ain't a joke...these people need to responsible for own lives
at least their own TV for gosh sakes...

EDIT: I promised myself months ago that I wouldn't get political. So, I deleted my response. I hope everyone who needs a converter gets one, and companies like Sprint survive and prosper.

Last edited:
Back