Homemade Christmas Present

Robot

Donating Member
Registered
Matthew’s Project Box

I decided I wanted to make a “toyâ€￾ for Matthew’s first Christmas, a “toyâ€￾ with an educational purpose. This toy would demonstrate Mechanical, Electrical, and Physics principles. This toy was constructed from an old Army ammo box, and a routered wooden top. Old robot parts, and old automation parts from Omtronics resistor winders were also used. A couple of parts may be older than I am. The parts I had, so little money was spent on them, however, more than 100 hours was spent putting it all together. This “toyâ€￾ is not kidsafe, the intent is for Matthew to have something he can pass on to his children, when they are old enough. Many parts were turned on the lathe for proper fit, the “jack of all tradesâ€￾ skills used to build this, don’t seem to be taught to many kids anymore.

Electrical: The electrical system is powered by a 9 volt battery, it is switched and fused. Schematic symbols are shown above most of the components. Mechanical and Electrical components are identified on the side of the box. A detailed schematic drawing was omitted on purpose. All glass components are protected behind plexiglass.
The black button energizes the SPDT relay and a high intensity blue L.E.D.
The red button energizes an incandescent light and a buzzer.
The ten position rotary switch controls a RGB L.E.D., Red,Green,Blue, as well as, seven mixes of these colors are selectable.
The radio tube is non-functional,except, for a Red Laser L.E.D. that illuminates it. The laser is activated by tilting the mercury switch AND using the magnet to close the reed switch.(switches are wired in series).
The Inductor, Capacitor, and Resistor,(LCR), are non-functional.
When the “two-stroke engineâ€￾ reaches Top-Dead-Center,(TDC), a “L.E.D.sparkplugâ€￾ illuminates, a cooling fan comes on, and the revolver fires. The engine’s timing sprocket has a protruding bolt, which pushes a microswitch at “TDCâ€￾. The revolver sprocket is mechanically in time with the engine.

Mechanical: What you see is what there is. A simple engine with half the cylinder ground away to show the piston position, etc. Timing mechanisms, linear power transmission, rotary power transmission. Power transmission 90 degrees out of phase. A flywheel and a Lever and Pulley.

Physics: Physics being the foundation of Mechanical AND Electrical Engineering, this has already been applied, however, electron affinity is demonstrated on the side of the box. Several elements,(metals), as well as, alloys were made into “washersâ€￾, these “washersâ€￾ were arranged in order of “electron affinityâ€￾. The concept being that electrons would rather flow from the Silver to the Copper, rather than the other direction. This can be demonstrated with an Ohm Meter, reversing positive and negative leads will lead to different resistance values. It should be noted only a small difference in electron affinity exists between these metals/alloys, resistance values will vary by less than a tenth of an ohm. A one ounce bar of .999 Silver was “sacrificedâ€￾ to make the Silver washer.

TopMech2.jpg

Wow, brilliant idea, really cool. :bowdown: For sure took many hours of work. Congratulations. All it's missing is a flux capacitor

That is awesome!!! I remember the old radio shack electronic boards where you wire up a radio or make a horn etc!!!!:cheerleader:

Can I play with it next? dang man, that is some fun stuff you got going... can I see the "battle bot"?

What a great idea!:thumbsup:

And your lil boy is soooooo darn cute! I love the expression on his face....he looks like he's thinking "I'm gonna take over the world with this thing!":laugh:

Back