Oil changed

rlachermeier

Registered
It's only my second oil change but I seem to learn something every time. Don't know if it's possible to change the oil without taking off the fairing so the following is assuming you have to.

1) When removing the right side front fairing
IMG_0852.jpg

Tools I used
IMG_0863.jpg

Needed to play (Itchycoo Park)
IMG_0864.jpg

....make sure you end up with the following. If not you may have to pull a litter harder to remove it.
biggrin.gif

IMG_0855.jpg

2) Since you only need 3300ml if you change the filter I removed
(3785 - 3300 = 485ml)
IMG_0858.jpg

3) Had to us a little tape to loosen the filter (Will be getter a filter wrench)
IMG_0857.jpg

4) Level after running for a couple minutes
IMG_0860.jpg

5) Added some more to bring the level up (carefull not to overfill)
IMG_0859.jpg

6) Optional tools to use while the oil is draining......
IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

Just use 4 qts with the filter change.

And if your headers will allow it, use a k&n filter with the nut on the end. Way easier.

DUDE you used GN4...that's HONDA oil...ya better drain that stuff out of there real
quick before you seize your motor
wow.gif

I've done it with the fairing almost off. Loosened all but the front and under nose cone 'buttons' and propped the fairing away from the motor towards the rear about 6-8" and changed everything. Seemed easier than removing the whole panel.

yes... fairing has to be removed... you can let it hang but why risk breaking off a tab when you could have just removed it.... and if its hanging the tabs closest to the top could/will rub on the nose piece leaving nice scratches!
mad.gif

I like the "optional" tools rlachermeier!
cool.gif

Just get 3/8 hex/allen socket set, metric (got mine from Sears)

Then either use a ratchet, or get a battery operated driver. If it takes you more than 3-4 min to remove the right fairing, you just need more practice.
biggrin.gif

By the way, go to a zook shop and get about 10 crush washers for the oil drain plug. Use a new one each time. And make certain to use a good torque wrench/ratchet that has .5lb increments. For ease of mind use some light threadlocker just to be certain.

i'd like to see a pic of you midair clearing those ramps on that 50.
laugh.gif

Sweet picks.... yeah, I had to take my fairing off too. As everyone knows, be careful with the drain plug. I like to think of it as a plug instead of a bolt... bolts can be overtightened a bit... the plug can't.

Good luck.

Just get 3/8 hex/allen socket set, metric (got mine from Sears)

Then either use a ratchet, or get a battery operated driver. If it takes you more than 3-4 min to remove the right fairing, you just need more practice.
biggrin.gif

By the way, go to a zook shop and get about 10 crush washers for the oil drain plug. Use a new one each time. And make certain to use a good torque wrench/ratchet that has .5lb increments. For ease of mind use some light threadlocker just to be certain.
The torque wrench was the one tool I forgot to include in the picture. I always use one due to fear of stripping the threads. I don't have a "service/repair" manual for the busa so I use the same ft/lbs as my cbr600 clymer's manuals states (27 ft/lb) I figure that's safe.

Anyone know what the busa's torque specs are for the oil plug???
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif

tounge.gif

tounge.gif

Uh...16.5 lbs. You are WAY over with the 27ft lbs.

No one has an excuse not to have a shop manual.

Download it.

I got an additional tip for ya...

I just changed my oil today, put the fairing back on, put the tools away...very late this evening, it hit me like lightening and for no apparent reason (wasn't even thinking about it)...don't remember putting away my oil filter wrench, the one that fits on the end of the oil filter with a bolt on the end...

Oh for the love of...it's still on the darn oil filter.
vuur1.gif

I bet it's on there pretty good and should be fine for a brief jaunt to work and back.

Don't forget to take of the oil filter wrench.

Uh...16.5 lbs. You are WAY over with the 27ft lbs.

No one has an excuse not to have a shop manual.

Download it.
Your absolutely right. Not having a manual is is like flying blind. Bought a used car recently that did not come with one and immediately got on line and ordered the service manual.

Thanks for the advice and the link!

I have changed mine in my '06 'bout 4 times now. I'm getting real good at taking the faring on & off. Trick is not in getting it off, but back on. Make sure everything lines up before buttoning it back up. I torque my oil plug to 15/lbs. Never leaks and will not strip. BTW--I use the same Honda oil. According to the guys I speak with (real motorcycle guys) same as Suzuki oil. I buy it by the case and use in it my ATV and dirt bike.

Back