New Personal Plate

Sane_man

Registered
I received my new personal plate commemorating my 40th Anniversary Busa.

Busa_plate.jpg

How does your wife like the YZF?I am considering one for my wife-I bought her a Savage for it's low seat height,but it will be time for a sport bike soon.She is pretty small,so we need something low-slung with a low center of gravity.If the YZF can be dropped a little I think it would work.Also considering the GS500R.

She loves the YZF even though it weighs a little more then the Katana, because of the lower center of gravity.

I lowered it last weekend since she is 5'-4" by installing a set of dogbones I bought off EBay. I dropped the rear 1.5", then I raised the forks in the triple-tree the same amount. I just finished taking a 3-part motorcycle suspension class, so I adjusted the sag, compression, and rebound for her. I took it out for a ride and as far as I can tell it handles the same as before. The only problem is that the sidestand is now too tall, so I have to get 1" cut out of it then put back together. No one makes an adjustable sidestand for this bike.

The Katana is too top heavy for her when the tank is full. If the Katana was a good track bike I would keep it, but since it isn't I will sell it later.

I bought the '98 YZZF600 from a high school kid who bought it used last April as his first bike. In six months he became an expert rider and wanted to upgrade to a Gixxer 750. :eek:
He dropped his asking price $1000 after two weeks trying to sell it because he wanted to buy a 750. I got it for $2400.

<!--EDIT|Sane_man
Reason for Edit: None given...|1067548961 -->

My wife thought the Katana I got her last month was to top heavy, so I picked up a '98 YZF600R for her last week.
Hey.. is that Yami lowered? I'm looking at one for my girlfriend, and it's too high for her. Also, do you know if the bars can be raised a bit (to make the riding position a little more comfy for her)?

In this picture you can see that I raised the forks 1-1/2" in the triple-tree to equal the drop in the rear. My wife can now almost flat foot it without wearing thick soled boots.

YZF_600R_2.jpg

I have USAA and my 6 month premiums for full coverage on all bikes is:

'03 Busa $105
'01 Vstar $85
'00 Vstar $85
'97 Katana $85
'98 YZF600 $85

Total $530

My wife is in the military so our yearly license tag fee is also really low since we only have to pay a small subset of the total fees, which is a good thing since DMV fees in Cali just tripled.

Brian, nice set of wheels. :thumbsup: You goin to SF bike show this weekend? And do you guyz have trouble with wind down there? Everytime I pass thru there its like GALE FORCE!

oh and where the people in these shots? :)

Nice stable of bikes. Mine consist of a 00 Busa and 03 Burgman.

Just curious, what is USAA insurance? Can anyone get it? :super:

I will be at the Show on Nov 8th and hopefully get to meet some of the members here.

That wind is the Delta Breeze that comes off the ocean that blows right through Fairfield. Most days of the week it varies from 15-35 miles MPH. It makes it a challege going down I-680 and I-80 towards S.F.. I took the Busa to class last night and I had the Busa at a serious lean fighting a 30 MPH cross-wind, plus it was cold! My neighbors were probably thing I was holding a rally when I pulled all the bikes out on the street. :)

USAA http://www.usaa.com offers Ins. for people in the military or if you do work for the government. Their website has the qualifying criteria.

I just got an email from a fellow rider who needs a bike, but doesn't have a lot of cash. I may be selling him the Katana this weekend with him paying me a monthly note for one year. I don't need five motorcycles, but four sounds about right. :)

I just got an email from a fellow rider who needs a  bike, but doesn't have a lot of cash.  I may be selling him the Katana this weekend with him paying me a monthly note for one year.  I don't need five motorcycles, but four sounds about right.  :)
ooooooooooh Be careful. Is he a close friend or relative I hope? Sadly in today's world you could have a serious law suit if he got hurt or killed and the bike was still legally owned by you. Just a word-o-caution.

I'm going to ask the DMV if I can sell it to him with me being the Lienholder. I wasn't sure if I could do that as a private seller. He is willing to pay me monthly while I held onto the Katana until payment in full, but I don't want the bike in my garage for an entire year.

He is not a relative, just someone I've known for about six months.

Does anyone know a better arrangement how I could sell him the bike? I want to have some recourse in case he defaults on the payments, otherwise I would just sign the title over to him. I was only doing this as a favor to him since I could just hold-on to the bike and sell it in the spring.

I would suggest he get the money 1st. have him check out www.peoplefirst.com great loan prices even on used private seller bikes. If he has bad credit or no credit I would say sorry and just put the bike in the paper. Too many potential hazards, and I have heard too many sad story's...

Just my opinion, but if he can't get credit through the usual sources (banks, finance companies, Mom), maybe you should rethink the offer. My personal rule has always been to not lend more than I'm willing to lose. I've lost a bit that way but probably saved a ton more.

The guy owns a home but for whatever reason can't afford to buyi a new bike. He rides an older Katana that is primered like an old Chevy and missing two gears.

I'm not working and am going to school full-time, but not hurting for cash. I wouldn't sweat losing the bike or money, I just don't want to get screwed or open myself to liability.

I found some info on the DMV site, so it looks like I can sell the bike and keep a lien on it.

I value all of your opinion's, so if the majority thinks this is a bad idea by taking monthly payments, I won't do it.

Can he not get a personal loan for the cost of the bike from a bank? That's what the kid that bought my SV did, I got a bank draft, he pays for it monthly. He owns the bike, no liability for me.

If you really trust him, just sign the ownership and hand it over. You can sign a simple contract of purchase where he agrees to pay 12 equal installments of $XX.XX and just put it in a drawer. But if he takes off, you're screwed.

Good luck,

Back