extreme rides: would you ride them

suprafly

Registered
on playboy's website, they have a section called personal velocity in which they tested out the fastest bike, boat, car, and plane. well, since this is a bike forum, i'll just go with the bike.

anywho, the bike is called the marine turbine tech y2k and its stats are:

topend: 250 mph
price: $185 000
price to speed ratio: $740/mph
engine: bell jet helicopter ranger
other: 320 bhp (same as a supra) @ 52 000 rpm
0-227 in 15 secs; 425 ft/lb torque @ 2000 rpm

the other competitor is the dodge tomahawk and its stats are:

topend: est. around 400+
price: est. around $250 000
price to speed ratio: unknown
engine: viper ohv v-10
other: 500 bhp @ unknown rpm; unknown torque

i put unknown cause i don't know them. anywho, would you ride any of them; if so, which one would you take and why???

also, if i have anymore q's like these, should i put them here or in the random topic board?

suprafly out...................................................

Haven't heard of the marine, but the Tomahawk is a one off bike (there is a picture hanging in my classroom) It looks like it would be fine going straight down the freeway, but no good for the twisties.
Would be fun to ride anyway.

If I had the funds $$$$$, I would ride both but I think they are just rich mans toys! The most riding they will see is in a trailer or someone’s garage/museum.

I don't think you could ride either day-to-day without something breaking on them. More of a show and RARE go kind of bike!

Has anyone else seen the turbine tech y2k bike? Jay Leno has one and it's pretty sweet! LCD camera for mirrors and a few other neat little tricks!

The Tomahawk is just a dream and will never happen!

Josh :super:

mclaren f1 engine

McLaren_F1_Engine.jpg

McLaren F1! :drool:

I wonder how many people lost sleep as a kid thinking about cars like that?

I know I did! :super:

Well The Marine Turbine, Why Because the TRAUMAHawk is the ugliest most useless piece of PR shite I have witnessed in a good number of years. What a joke. I just find it annoying, looking at what has to be one of the ugliest wheelied vehicles ever created and it gets the cover of Motorcyclist magazine? Bah... The concept is old hat BOSS Hoss has been there and done that, the design is nasty, and to top it off nobody has even seen it go more than 30mph or so and the rider fell over...Ah well...

The Turbine Bike, (If it's the one I am thinking of) actually exists and works. Besides you can melt a tailgater's bumper. Don't know about the top speed of 250 mph though. Far as I know no one has ridden it to anywhere near that speed. Not saying it isn't possible, just that nobody has done it.. IT has some cool features, and would be a lot of fun to ride and hear....

Don't forget though that the turbine powered bike that Leno has is actually miserable to drive around. It is only good for top end. Becuase of the nature of a gas turbine engine, it must "spool up" before any real power can be put to the road. That's why in a airplane (turbine powered) you hear the engine slowly whining higher and higher before it actually moves, then it kicks in at a slow rate, then screams. The engines are not meant for vehicles that have constantly changing loads (hence changes in engine rpm) like a motorcycle. But at constant high rpm, it produces tons of power and is relatively effecient versus a piston engine of same HP.

What does this mean, very slow getting started, screams at the top end. Also note that it absolutely devours fuel and yes it will melt the bumper of a car behind you. Not good for insurance claims against you.

One more thing, don't confuse a turbo charged engine with a gas turbine engine. Turbo charged means that the exhaust gases are used to drive a small turbine in the intake that pressurizes the incoming air/fuel mixture into a piston engine (thereby increasing HP). Also note that a supercharger does the same thing but is mechanically driven, not by the exhaust gases, and is generally more effective than a turbo.

Yes I would ride them, no I don't want the DOdge ugly ass thing, but I'd love the have the jet bike. BTW, the top speed for the Dodge car without a cage - it is not a motorcycle, it has 4 wheels - is only theoretical. Actual would be lucky to exceed 250 (in my opinion). Why? DRAG. the tomahawk has full drag, no bodywork to smoothe the wind. Remember, no matter how high up you drop a brick, it will only go so fast. I'm sure terminal velocity of the Tomahawk is well below 300mph. Our Busas should have taught us all this lesson.

you mean that that is one sweet looking ride! :D after all, it has its own look which makes it unique from all the other "same style" bikes. if i won the lottery tom, i'd buy one and keep it until i get some skills; then i'll let it loose on the old airfield near by me.

anywho, have any of you heard of the $80 000 nemesis hyperbike? it has 210 bhp with a topend of 200+! now THAT bike is really super!

suprafly out........................................

it has 4 wheels so it shouldnt be called a motorcycle. the marine looks so much better than that hunk of s*#t.

TommyB :cool:

trust me, with the topspeed that that thing has, you'll need all the wheels you can get if you want to live to be able to ride again!

Back