Pics of g2 tag holder light instl

Burger King

breakin' the law
Donating Member
Registered
I'm trying to make sure I'm legal so I ordered some TiteLites and installed them on my G2 holder. I ran a wire from my tail light wire, drilling a small hole in the swingarm brace and running it to the tag holder.  so far, so good.
Wires are installed towards wheel so that you can't see them.

<!--EDIT|Greg B
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141219538 -->

118_1806_IMG.JPG

swing arm wire

<!--EDIT|Greg B
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141219393 -->

swingarm_IMG.JPG

Looks good I'm doing the same thing with mine
but not the drilling, that scares me
So where did you get the lights....and how much
I have been looking around for them for a while and
have found them between $20 - $30 for 2

Never mind about the price I didn't see the link

<!--EDIT|Batman#1
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141221240 -->

do you have a night time pic of those with the lights on?
I am deciding between 2 or 4 lights

Dumb Question ..You Drilled a hole in an aluminum swing arm built to hold the rear wheel on that was designed a certain way and structer to hold a 156 hp motor and chain and tire and rider and and and and .. Man i like the setup and the light but dont take this wrong I would not have drilled a hole in there . That is the only thing between the torque and the ground .IMAO it would weekin that arm..

Does anyone know of another way to run the wire somekind of sticky clamp or something he has a good idea just dont like the drilling thing

Should do the trick, but I also question the drilling of the swingarm.
rock.gif

Dumb Question ..You Drilled a hole in an aluminum swing arm built to hold the rear wheel on  that was designed a certain way and structer to hold a 156 hp motor and chain and tire and rider and and and and .. Man i like the setup and the light but dont take this wrong I would not have drilled a hole in there . That is the only thing between the torque and the ground .IMAO it would weekin that arm..
I'm with you BusaSamurai don't like drilling any thing that would make it less structurally sound. That could put you or someone else in and early grave. In the first photo he used some sticky tape clamps to hold the wires to the license bracket I thank this would be the best way.

That’s just my 2 cents

Think i am going to use a car hood led that they put where the windsheild washers usually go and mount it up undertail where it will project a beam of light down on the tag..

When I sell my tag relocators I provide little stick on clips that can hold the wires to the bracket. I then run the wire up the swing arm and bolt clamps in the chain guard holes with wire clamps around wire loom. You can get them at most electronic stores.

Also, drilling that SMALL hole to let the wires through wouldn't likely make a difference in the overal strength of the swingarm.

Pic of clip:

pRS1C_2265843w345_1_.jpg

It's hard to see the black clamps but they are right where the bolts are that hold the chain guard on.

Pic of loom:

loom.jpg

When I sell my tag relocators I provide little stick on clips that can hold the wires to the bracket.  I then run the wire up the swing arm and bolt clamps in the chain guard holes with wire clamps around wire loom.  You can get them at most electronic stores.

Also, drilling that SMALL hole to let the wires through wouldn't likely make a difference in the overal strength of the swingarm.

Pic of clip:
Like the clamps as far as the hole in the swingarm and i might be instagating but personally i wouldnt get on a plane that some one decided to drill a hole through that wasnt meant to be there ,, Would you put your kids on that plane..You might be right it might not have comprimised the strength but I am not a metal engineer nore a strength tester im just saying that it was built that way for a reason..Its about like a tire when it gets a whole in it you can plug it right . But would you trust it on a 156hp motorcycle
rock.gif
? Not me.. this board is to inform people of mods ideas and tips he asked for opinions and im giving him mine nothing against him at all . I have done worse in my lkife that i had to go back and change..

Your actual swingarm has much larger holes for the chainguard. If you remove the chainguard and leave those holes open will those keep you up at night???

The hole isn't in the swingarm, it's in the brace.
Drilling a #30 or hole in the brace isn't going to weaken anything. I work with enough metals (all kinds of steels and aluminums) and deal with engineering issues daily here at the airplane factory. If I was "stressed" about drilling this little hole, believe me, I wouldn't have done it. There have been plenty of 150+ hp bikes in the past that didn't even have swing arm "braces" and they went 170+ mph just fine on the race tracks day in and day out. The brace is just that, a brace, and is suppose to help prevent the swingarm from any twisting under high torque situations.  

If the brace does develope a stress fracture I'll be sure and let you guys know.......and then I'll put a bead of weld around the hole and continue on riding. Meanwhile the actual swingarm will still be doing it's job of holding the rear wheel on the bike just as it was intended to do.

Your actual swingarm has much larger holes for the chainguard. If you remove the chainguard and leave those holes open will those keep you up at night???

The hole isn't in the swingarm, it's in the brace.
Drilling a #30 or hole in the brace isn't going to weaken anything. I work with enough metals (all kinds of steels and aluminums) and deal with engineering issues daily here at the airplane factory. If I was "stressed" about drilling this little hole, believe me, I wouldn't have done it. There have been plenty of 150+ hp bikes in the past that didn't even have swing arm "braces" and they went 170+ mph just fine on the race tracks day in and day out. The brace is just that, a brace, and is suppose to help prevent the swingarm from any twisting under high torque situations.  

If the brace does develope a stress fracture I'll be sure and let you guys know.......and then I'll put a bead of weld around the hole and continue on riding. Meanwhile the actual swingarm will still be doing it's job of holding the rear wheel on the bike just as it was intended to do.
Touchy Touchy .. First it is your swing arm you can do what you want . Did not mean it like that . As far as structer goes I have already stated I didnt know . I do know the holes you referred to are strengthened at the factory with shoulders did you do this also..I am not a welder nore do claim to be a structal engineer also stated. You did ask for opinions and I gave one. Look I would be the first to tell you that it was a good idea it hides the wire routes it away from everything .But and can someone else comment over time it will stress crack why do you think they changed the swingarms in the first place because of stress cracks..Just watch it if it does crack just weld as stated just be careful would hate for it to crack at the wrong time especially if you have you wife or daughter on there. Dont take these post wrong I do come accross harsh some times but I have seen accidents of people who changed stuff that wasnt designed to be changed.. If im wrong I will be the first to admit it .

When I sell my tag relocators I provide little stick on clips that can hold the wires to the bracket.  I then run the wire up the swing arm and bolt clamps in the chain guard holes with wire clamps around wire loom.  You can get them at most electronic stores.

Pic of clip:
So you would do it??? Also, drilling that SMALL hole to let the wires through wouldn't likely make a difference in the overal strength of the swingarm.

<!--EDIT|BusaSamurai
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141487966 -->

i personaly wouldnt drill a hole to hide wires , i know they do it all the time on show bikes but on an every day daily commuter no way ! imo i also do not claim to be an expert , but if my swing arm devolped a crack , i wouldnt drill and weld it either . i know the weld is stronger than the metal ! but if not done correctly it could comprimise the tensile strength of the surrounding area ? so i myself would have to pay to have it welded $$ , so i would opt to just replace it with a used non cracked / drilled one. just my opinion .

i have had lots of stuff welded for my job by certified proffesional welders 'snow plow frames " and yes the weld is strong and should never brake , but on more than one occation i have developed tears or breaks close to the weld ? what would cause that ? this is what scares me about welding on a bike . i wouldnt do it , but its my opinion , and you know what they say about those
laugh.gif
so to each his own
beerchug.gif
and good luck ! very clean install looks great ! could the tag holder be mounted on the caliper side ? cause then you could run a tiny black wire along the brake line for the rear caliper ,for power and use the bracket itself for a ground these are led lights ? so the wire could be realy tiny almost invisable ? even with a plate light ,you might still not be legal ? maybe in ga but not ny . though it is rarley enforced

before you beat me , my plate is also relocated !
biggrin.gif

this is pd busa and my bike in montauk point state park mine is on the left . plate is in the wheel well , no light
tounge.gif

plate_relocate.jpg

Back