Why does everyone hate reflectors so much?

umairhashmi

Registered
Sure im a squid but i just feel a lot safer knowing the reflectors are there so it makes me more visible at night.How come everyone hates em so much?

They slow the busa down.
wink.gif

Cause they're gay.
I just wear one of thos bright orang crossing guard vests at night...
tounge.gif

thay dont come on the busa over here from new...... it seem there only on the (US) BIKES....
rock.gif
NOT SURE WHY..... THERE THERE AT ALL...

its purely a personal choice thing,most don't like the look of them. They won't argue that yer safer with them thou.That and its sort of Org tradition to lose them,the stickers,and post a cool pic of yer new ride.

thats all. RSD.

its purely a personal choice thing,most don't like the look of them.
Well maybe it helps with looks but if you have a black bike like i do and you live down here in florida with all kinds of crazy people who are allowed to drive cars then you never know when one night some 40 yr old woman driving a minivan with 4 screaming kids in the back while she yaps on her cellphone will run you over

its purely a personal choice thing,most don't like the look of them.
Well maybe it helps with looks but if you have a black bike like i do and you live down here in florida with all kinds of crazy people who are allowed to drive cars then you never know when one night some 40 yr old woman driving a minivan with 4 screaming kids in the back while she yaps on her cellphone will run you over
True,
But those reflectors won't stop her from hitting you... most of us just don't like them, but as Brendanp said, that's why I wear a reflective vest at night. It's a cosmetic thing, that's why you got that Black and grey helmet to go with your black and grey scoot. Ya got a great looking scoot -if ya want the reflectors on, leave 'em..... we're all just kickin' our thoughts around.
Like the Rubba said, most of us don't like the look of them, it disrupts the force or something.

The reflectors are on the sides of the bike. If a car is close enough to you to see them, it's already too late.

They serve no practical purpose.

Even bicycle manufacturers place their reflectors on the front and back of the bike peddles. Sure they place one or two on the front and back tire which face sideways, but which one do YOU see when you're driving?

The reflectors are on the sides of the bike. If a car is close enough to you to see them, it's already too late.
I disagree, I've seen bicycles from a great distance because of the reflectors.

I personally like the idea of reflectors, I too have a black bike. I do the the big round ones are a bit on the gaudy side, so I changed mine to rectangled one like come on the R1.

Kevin

tn_102_4573.JPG

I can see my headlights hitting reflectors from hundreds of feet away at night.  With a headlight and tail light, I'm not worried about my relfectors protecting me at night, however I am concerned over them making my bike more visible when it's in a parking lot in the middle of the night.

I'm not too worried about a couple of tiny reflectors breaking up the color scheme of my bikes.  What I do find funny is that most of the people who complain about the looks of reflectors will go out of their way to color coordinate their bike and gear to perfection and at the same time slap on a pair of <span style='color:red'>2</span><span style='color:orange'>sisters</span><span style='color:green'>homo</span><span style='color:blue'>yoshi</span> cans with huge emblems in every color of the rainbow.  
rock.gif

I still have mine on. Think it will help people see me better at night. My daughter rides with me most of the time so if it helps someone in a cage see us I am leaving them on. Safety factor. It is just a personal choice. People up here drive like crap, and do not pay attention to where they are going.

I personally like the idea of reflectors, I too have a black bike. I do the the big round ones are a bit on the gaudy side, so I changed mine to  rectangled one like come on the R1.

Kevin
It makes no neva mind ... I'm getting neon put on my bike, well LED's actually.
smile.gif

I usually don't ride at night, so mine came off. Didn't mind having them on, just wanted a "mod". Other than personal preference I have no arguments pro or con. They do tend to mess up photos which use the flash though...
sad.gif

'cause they remind me of the cheesy reflectors people display at the end of their driveway, usually shaped like flowers or leaning sideways 'cause someone didn't feel like digging a bit deeper...
laugh.gif

Honestly, if someone's coming at you from the side, do you think the reflectors are gonna do much good at that point?!
tounge.gif

It is personal choice and we just like picking on 'em in pictures when newbies post up...it's about as mean as this group gets!
biggrin.gif

Reason's why reflectors suck. Here's a couple....
1. They just look like crap, they really do.
2. Cagers may see them, but think little of it.(Ever heard of an accident where the rider says "the person made eye contact with me and STILL pulled in front of me") scenario?
3. They look like crap.
4. The reflectiveness gives the general public a target fix, they know now where to aim.
5. If your worried that much about safety, then keep the bike in the garage, cause anything can happen out on the road.

Some reason's to have them.
1. The peace of mind of thinking your now almost completely safe. Or clear mind.
2. Looks don't matter to you and your just as well with them.
3. You trade your bike in every few years and are worried about getting the most you can.
4. You really think they will make a difference and that your average person is a relativly good driver.
5. You collect reflectors and you plan on installing more.

It comes down to preference, apples and oranges. But IMO, i honestly believe reflectors do not help you. Maybe a front or rear reflector, but the sides are pointless.

Those reflectors look like crap.They look like they belong on a cheap bicycle to me,rode my bike home from the dealer and immediatly removed them.It must have killed the designers to have to put those things on there work of art

I personally like the idea of reflectors, I too have a black bike. I do the the big round ones are a bit on the gaudy side, so I changed mine to  rectangled one like come on the R1.

Kevin
OK but if your a long way off it doesn't matter anyway.

Simply put the stock reflectors are an outdated DOT leftover. They aren't going to do anything to help you been seen in any way that improves our safety.

Most 80 something percent of bike accidents happen from the front 3/4s an angle where the stock reflectors do nothing.

So can those stock reflectors and get some reflective tape on your machine and your helmet if you really want to be seen, but the stock reflectors are mearly lip service paid to the DOT by the OEMs.

Back