"packin" on the bus

ya do but its only a 5.00 tax stamp
cool.gif

Wouldn't you hate to be the guy that chose the florida busa folks for a target?

I know that some people have differing opinions on whether carrying concealed helps one not to be a target, I do think that if you are a thug looking for a target, a non-carry state makes your career a little safer and being a thug in a concealed carry state makes your chosen career path a little more dangerous.

When I was younger and more of a hot head, I would get out of the car and start yelling at people that were driving like idiots and give them a piece of my mind. I no longer do that, I wouldn't want to scare someone into using their weapon. I think the laws have made me a little nicer on the road and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

Yes, the right to carry makes you think it about it from both stances. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to find trouble, but I fully intend to be the one to safely be with my family the next day. Our world is not always fair or safe, but Sam Colt made all men "equal".

I know some of you guys are aware of this, but just for good measure, I'll mention it anyway.

The choice of ammo should not be based solely upon ballistic performance and maximum stopping power. I used to carry loads of the infamous Black Talon in .45 ACP, the so-called "Cop Killer" bullet. I retired them to my ammo stock and now choose lower profile loads like Federal Premium or Cor-Bon. Why? Because several self defense shooting cases were influenced by the argument that the shooter was unreasonably eager to shoot as "evidenced" by his choice of notoriously effective ammo. That argument is essentially voided by the use of mainstream, manufactured ammo. There are some excellent loads available that are highly effective and don't have the hysterical stigma of special "killer" loads. This might seem a moot point but the next thing that happens after a self defense shooting is the legal process. Just food for thought.  
wink.gif

I used to carry loads of the infamous Black Talon in .45 ACP, the so-called "Cop Killer" bullet. I retired them to my ammo stock and now choose lower profile loads like Federal Premium or Cor-Bon. Why? Because several self defense shooting cases were influenced by the argument that the shooter was unreasonably eager to shoot as "evidenced" by his choice of notoriously effective ammo.
They tried that in my buddy's trial a few years back, but it didn't fly. If you're right, I guess you're right, no matter what ammo you use. His ammo? Black Talon, of course. Same thing I keep a stockpile of.

They also tried to argue the same point due to the fact he was using a pre-ban clip in his Glock. That didn't fly either.

10-4

I recall a few cases some years ago that teetered on the issue of "killer" self defense bullets (as if most bullets are not killer bullets). My comments were offered as a heads up for those CCW folks who might not be familiar with the issue.

Merry Xmas!

Afterthought Edit:

If you're right, I guess you're right, no matter what ammo you use.[/QUOTE]

I am glad your buddy got a "right" decision and I have high hopes that you are correct about using any commercial ammo. Unfortunately, right does not always prevail in court. Some lawyers will use almost any tactic to win and jurors are fallible. If I have to account for my self defense actions in court, I prefer that the matter not be complicated by claims of a blood thirsty shooter because I used controversial ammo. That's really all I was trying to say--that it should be a consideration when selecting ammo.

Later...

<!--EDIT|WarBaby
Reason for Edit: None given...|1135015029 -->

Its also a good idea no not modify the gun at all sometimes lawyers will pick apart anything why is the trigger poundage lower why nite sites why custom grips things like that that's why most law enforcement agency's don't modify the guns at all except for aftermarket grips. just in case you ever have to use deadly force ya don't want it to look like you built a weapon to kill some one if any of these features are desired make sure the gun comes from the factory with them just a thought

10-4

I recall a few cases some years ago that teetered on the issue of "killer" self defense bullets (as if most bullets are not killer bullets). My comments were offered as a heads up for those CCW folks who might not be familiar with the issue.

Merry Xmas!

Afterthought Edit:

If you're right, I guess you're right, no matter what ammo you use.

I am glad your buddy got a "right" decision and I have high hopes that you are correct about using any commercial ammo. Unfortunately, right does not always prevail in court. Some lawyers will use almost any tactic to win and jurors are fallible. If I have to account for my self defense actions in court, I prefer that the matter not be complicated by claims of a blood thirsty shooter because I used controversial ammo. That's really all I was trying to say--that it should be a consideration when selecting ammo.

Later...[/QUOTE]
It was a difficult time, but justice prevailed. No doubt in my mind he was justified. In his case it did not go before the jury, the state presented their case and the judge basically told them they had no case. They argued about his choice of rounds, choice of pistol, and the fact that he fired all but two rounds into his assailant until the gun stovepiped. There were other circumstances affecting the outcome. The individuals involved in the altercation had been making threats and tresspassing on the property that this took place on for quite some time. One thing I learned from this is to document everything that happens if you have an ongoing disagreement with a person or persons that even remotely seems like it could lead up to something like this.
It is kind frightening the type "experts" that testify at these things as well. In this case the ballistics expert argued that Talons are a fragmenting round, which is not true. Talons open up like a star and generally stay intact.

<!--EDIT|bronc3
Reason for Edit: "'Cause I can't punctuate or spell."|1135017128 -->

Talons open up like a star and generally stay intact.[/QUOTE]

So true!

I soaked four thick (2"+) phone books in water, stacked them upon one another, and fired a .45 Black Talon into them from about three feet away. I dug the Talon out of the rear of the forth phone book. This is what spooked so many people:

talon.jpg

The spent Talon base measures .447". The "Talons" average .940" by my micrometer. It's truly a wicked self defense round. Imagine that spinning through your bod at about 1,000 FPS!

The best round is the one that does not exit the victim. Ideally you want all the energy of the bullet to stay inside of its target. If the bullet is a through and through then you lost all the energy it was carrying. This is one reason why lots of the self defense ammo is of lighter weight and higher velocity. Also you don't want to hit any innocent people with a through and through.

I carry corbon high velocity rounds mostly except in the .44 magnum I use a self defense round that has a rubber tip on it and when it impacts the tip shreds and launches 5 large projectiles into the target scattering around. They are strong enough to go through leather but not the walls in your home. Also the rounds tend to not exit the target, they just bounce around inside causing maximum damage.

At any rate in about 99% of all self defense situations the mere presence of a firearm is enough to diffuse the situation without a single round ever being fired. And Like my Law professor used to say if you are going to shoot someone make sure they are dead, becuase a dead person does not have a story to tell in court.
wink.gif

What do you guys think of these, they were given to me by a friend that sold his .45?

The one on the left is sold by Federal, I think it's called a hydra shock, the one on the right is by Speer, and the one in the middle I'm unsure of, it was in the speer box. Does anyone know what it is? Which is the best to keep in the gun?

<!--EDIT|Kevin Kesler
Reason for Edit: None given...|1135038839 -->

102_43931.JPG

What do you guys think of these, they were given to me by a friend that sold his .45?

The one on the left is sold by Federal, I think it's called a hydra shock, the one on the right is by Speer, and the one in the middle I'm unsure of, it was in the speer box. Does anyone know what it is? Which is the best to keep in the gun?
The Speer Gold Dot on the right is my ammo of choice. In .45 ACP.

Talons open up like a star and generally stay intact.

So true!

I soaked four thick (2"+) phone books in water, stacked them upon one another, and fired a .45 Black Talon into them from about three feet away. I dug the Talon out of the rear of the forth phone book. This is what spooked so many people:

talon.jpg

The spent Talon base measures .447". The "Talons" average .940" by my micrometer. It's truly a wicked self defense round. Imagine that spinning through your bod at about 1,000 FPS![/QUOTE]
Good job! That's what is in my Glock right now.

check out the corbon hollow point they are massive.

<!--EDIT|sccrvettel82
Reason for Edit: None given...|1135075015 -->

Back