Exit: Ducati

pure_ego

enzyme of hypoverbage
Donating Member
Registered
Well, I am no longer an Italian bike owner.
sad.gif
The thought of dropping it drove me to sell it. (think about $1,600 for a gas tank!)

Exit the Ducati - I picked it up with intentions of seeing what the fuss was about, and I must admit. There is something about a Ducati that makes it feel just a bit "more" than just a bike. The monster definatly has personality about it.. and of course the braking, and handling are excellent. It just didn't quite have the top end, and of course the parts issues turned me off. I am looking for a bike to go do track days with that if I lay down it's not going to result in a $3,000 fiasco.. haha.. well hopefully anyway. The Ducati is definatly not the bike for that. I could see dropping a Ducati in your driveway.. and totalling it! All that aside... I think I want a 748 dark at some point.

Enter the SV - I picked up a 2000 SV650S.. They didn't actually make the SV-S in the states until 2001.. this is actually a Canadian model. After some research into that... the only differences are that it measures things in Kilometers per hour.. I rode it about 30 miles last night after I got back and I don't think thats going to be a problem. It is slightly concerning to look down and see the speedo at 140+ and you really didn't think you were going all that fast.. haha That equals out to about 90mph BTW.

Anyway, I'm sure most of you have ridden SV of some sort somewhere along the lines so I won't go really in depth other than to say.. A. It's quick, B. It's light, & C. its very quick handling.. It actually turns in a bit quicker than the Duc.. That could just be the tires on it. Previous owner had Bridgestone BT020's. I've never ran them before.. we'll see what I think about those for a few days or whatever and make a call to go with new pirellis, or what.

Just a few quick, and dirty shots for ya...

SV_frnt_low.jpg

This bike was amazingly clean. I always thought any bike I had would be kept very clean.. but when I got there and we were checking each others bike out I was like... "Damn, this makes the Ducati look filthy!"

Just a side note on the guy that bought it. He's from up North (dern yankees!) and all the guys he rides with are BIG Ducati fans. I think peer pressure had a bit to do with it.. whatever.. He seems happy as a bug in a rug and I'm happy. Nice guys though.

SV_rear.jpg

hopefully have some pics of the bike still in one piece after the VIR grand course Monday.. should have some killer pics from the guys that do pics at the track days though... just hopefully not of the dirt/pavement/sky.. repeat variety.

In summary, I haven't ridden it alot yet.. but I'm very pleased. Plus the yellow color is much better than I first thought. I wasn't all that much on it to start with.. but after seeing it in the sun and in person.. it's nice. Different, but nice.

SV_side.jpg

yah, I know you had one.. haha I saw your posts on SVrider. Even replied to one.. haha.

Seems like a great bike.. not sure I could live with that hard ass seat for a primary bike.. but other than that I'm pretty impressed.

Any cool tips/tricks you did that were worth the effort?

The rear shock has been changed to a GSXR600.. Haven't ridden it enough to know if I like that or not.. and this guy did the racetech stuff to the forks.. Feels better than the stock SV I rode.. but I think it needs heavier springs for me.

yah, I know you had one.. haha I saw your posts on SVrider.   Even replied to one.. haha.

Seems like a great bike.. not sure I could live with that hard ass seat for a primary bike.. but other than that I'm pretty impressed.

Any cool tips/tricks you did that were worth the effort?

The rear shock has been changed to a GSXR600..   Haven't ridden it enough to know if I like that or not..  and this guy did the racetech stuff to the forks..  Feels better than the stock SV I rode.. but I think it needs heavier springs for me.
I think the bike is good as is...some guys get caught up dumping $$ into the SV, frankly if its not good enough then buy another bike because your kind of ruining the point of the SV and you will come out ahead plus you will never recover that money.
Its a cheap bike that performs very good for its price range...I say do a few cheap cosmetic mods, maybe change the fork oil to something heavier and leave it at that.

Congrats ego
beerchug.gif

That thing is going to be a blast on the track. There's a LOT of info out there for setting up the SV as a track bike. One of our board members, "Oracle" converted an SV into a track only bike. Might want to send him a PM if you need help.

Back