Saturday Ride

MrGxr

Donating Member
Registered
Its a Saturday and three of us decide to ride up to the top of the Sandia Mountains just outside (or above) Albuquerque, NM. Weather was overcast, but we didn't get rained on the whole ride. Headed out of Albuquerque on Old Highway 66 and then North on Highway 14 to we reached Highway 536(?)and then it was a run up to the crest. Joe and Roy were on cruisers and I on my Busa. Joe rides a Harley and Roy rides a Valkryie. Honest now... I tried to hang with them, but the Busa wouldn't let me. Once we were heading up the mountain the Busa took off on me and well it was GREAT!!! The road has many twisties and a bunch of switch backs. The top section before you reach the Crest has approx 4 switch backs and some major twisties. Actually, I only remember a couple of straight runs, then it was down shift and take her into a turn. After reaching the crest we came back down, once again it was impossible to stay with the cruisers and we made our way over to Madrid, NM. After lunch it was North Highway 14 to Santa Fe, NM and then I-25 back down to Albuquerque, NM for the end of the ride. It was my first time on the Crest road and I am definitely going to do it again. Here are some pics of the run.

Twisties above the ski area. I had to stop and wait for Joe and Roy, so I decided to take a pic or two.

<!--EDIT|MrGxr
Reason for Edit: None given...|1119775763 -->

Twisties.jpg

The stage inside the Mine Shaft. They have live music two or three times a week.

The_Stage.jpg

Madrid is like an old mining town that was taken over by the hippies a while back. It has some of the greatest old buildings and a fantastic Jazz Festival each year. A great destination for a ride or even a family day trip for lunch and some window shopping.
Did I tell you the ride was GREAT!!!
I may have to do this ride several more times between now and August just to keep my mind off the roads we are going to ride up in Colorado.
tounge.gif

Nice!
cool.gif
 Thanks for the pics! BTW Do your friends ever get tired of you leaving them?
rock.gif
wink.gif
Not really, they just smile and ride by me. Then when they see me coming they move over and let me pass them again. It makes for great conversations at lunch when I pass them on a curve with my knee just off the ground... comments on insane, crazy, wouldn't catch me doing that and such are heard. These two are die hard cruisers.

Back