$27 for 15 min. rear wheel?

eynlai

Registered
Just pulled my rear wheel off today. Did it for the first time cause my rear is showing the core. I can't believe how easy and fast it was. How the hell can they justify charging $27 to $30 for that??? It took me all of 15 minutes, probably 10 once I get it down. Took me 30 minutes to clean the dirt and gunk from the swingarm, inner rim, and surrounding area. I'll drive it into a shop to get the tire mounted and balance for $20 to $25, bet you they're over charging for that too.

Here's the first pic of my tire about to give out.

Photo_060305_001.jpg

And these are all the tools that were needed. The only one missing from this pic is the 12mm wrench to loosen the chain tension lock-down screw. I got to go look for it now. By the way, the wood board was used with the hammer to bang out the axle shaft.

Photo_060305_004.jpg

the mechanic that takes it off makes 27 dollars an hour.
the service #### that gets you the appointment makes 18 dollars an' hour.
the big titted ##### that answers the phone makes 14 dollars an hour.
the electric bill is 400 a month.
the phone bill 250 a month.
getting rid of the old oil,tires,batteries,metal,brake parts,coolant,shop rags,coveralls, big money.
advertising,janitorial,rent or mortgage,fuel,tools,supplies,re stocking,shipping,un-claimed items, and lets not forget... INSURANCE, and THEFT...

those 2 are kinda the same....but different...

the list is endless....

but if you can do it yerself....why not.

but.... thats why they charge...30 dollars for that.

I just took both front and rear wheels off to get tires mounted. Took about 45 minutes of work on my end but I was only charged 36 bucks to mount and balance both tires. It might be more work for me but it saves money and allows me to learn more about the bike.

you got a certified brigs&stratton mechanic doin the work... $75/hr, and it goes up the totem pole from there.

getting rid of the old oil,tires,batteries,metal,brake parts,coolant,shop rags,coveralls, big money.
advertising,janitorial,rent or mortgage,fuel,tools,supplies,re stocking,shipping,un-claimed items, and lets not forget... INSURANCE, and THEFT...

the list is endless....

but.... thats why they charge...30 dollars for that.
Holy Crap... but uh, I agree with RSD...

Oh and for me it's a peace of Mind. I'd rather have a professional who's changed a billion or so tires change and balance mine, align my wheels properly, and set the chain to spec. It takes the guess work out of it. None of that "gee did I get the tension right?" crap...

I don't want that in my head when I am bombing along. You do have to find the right mechanic.

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117900115 -->

u guys are lucky..in my city they are trying to charge $95 per wheel. thats taking off ,balancing and throwing the tire back on. my tire alone cost that much....what a rip

at the risk of offending someone... Which I usually do:

The whole motorcycle service and repair industry is one giant rip-off. The math just don't add up right. Car: $15 per wheel at most. On a bike just one wheel cost almost as much!!

I know those shops are not paying the techs $30/hour. Honestly, the techs should be lucky to be getting paid above $17/ hour.

By the way, car shops have just as much, if not more overhead cost than bike shops, but charge only a fraction for labor of "similar" function like oil change, tire change.

Professional tyre change in India.... along with wheel removal cost about 2-3 dollars in India!! 5 Dollars or so if its a car!!
biggrin.gif

The whole motorcycle service and repair industry is one giant rip-off.  The math just don't add up right.  Car: $15 per wheel at most.  On a bike just one wheel cost almost as much!!
dont worry about offending anybody...there are very few crybabies left around...hehehehe

you say a car wheel costs 15 bucks.
and a bike wheel almost as much.

The car tire gets spun off a rim , and a new one slapped back on in about a minute. If yer lucky,the high school kid thats doin' the job will balance it (if its a rear tire,he probably wont bother) then 4 or 5 lugs and its slapped back on.

The bike rim: if they're half way decent they are usin' RIM SAVERS or an' equivelent. A new valve SHOULD be installed,I always get one anyway,then it takes several minutes to properly balance the wheel,which HAS to be done. Then there a fug-of-alot more to re-installing the wheel. If its a rear,then there's brake and chain issues.

I have ordered a very cool lazer tool in order to get my rear sprocket lined up perfectly. Should be in soon,I'll post up its operation when it arrives.

Don't get me wrong,I'm not trying to defend every shop thats out there...there's always good and bad...

I've been doing my own wrenching for over 25 years. I took my bike to a shop ONCE. And during that ONE time. They shop broke a piece,and charged ME for it...so I know where yer coming from.

There's just more than meets the eye when yer running a bizness in this day an' age.

hav a good 1...wait for the bell... RSD.

I can mount a standard bike rim on a regular tire maching and change it out in 1 min , nothing special required.

My shop is going to start doing bike tires after I told the owner that the local shops all charge around 50 to mount a balance a single internet bought tire on a pulled wheel.

Shops dont like to mount tires you bought from the internet , period. I dont blame them but we are not going to
toss out a good opportunity.
I am thinking we will be charging somewhere in the $20 range per wheel to mount and balance IF it can be mounted on our tire machines. Some of the wider tires are tricky and those will have to be mounted by hand.

The whole motorcycle service and repair industry is one giant rip-off.  The math just don't add up right.  Car: $15 per wheel at most.  On a bike just one wheel cost almost as much!!
dont worry about offending anybody...there are very few crybabies left around...hehehehe

you say a car wheel costs 15 bucks.
  and a bike wheel almost as much.

The car tire gets spun off a rim , and a new one slapped back on in about a minute. If yer lucky,the high school kid thats doin' the job will balance it (if its a rear tire,he probably wont bother) then 4 or 5 lugs and its slapped back on.

The bike rim: if they're half way decent they are usin' RIM SAVERS or an' equivelent. A new valve SHOULD be installed,I always get one anyway,then it takes several minutes to properly balance the wheel,which HAS to be done. Then there a fug-of-alot more to re-installing the wheel. If its a rear,then there's brake and chain issues.

I have ordered a very cool lazer tool in order to get my rear sprocket lined up perfectly. Should be in soon,I'll post up its operation when it arrives.

Don't get me wrong,I'm not trying to defend every shop thats out there...there's always good and bad...

I've been doing my own wrenching for over 25 years. I took my bike to a shop ONCE.  And during that ONE time. They shop broke a piece,and charged ME for it...so I know where yer coming from.

There's just more than meets the eye when yer running a bizness  in this day an' age.

hav a good 1...wait for the bell... RSD.
well, after exiting the U.S. Army, I became a factory certified auto technician....... yeay.

having been in the auto business now for longer than I will admit, it all boils down to INSURANCE!......

your paying for the guy's wages, his boss' wages, the lights, electricity, etc.. "overhead". and there is the INSURANCE that keeps the doors open. Some guy with backyard knowlege of cars can mount tires. Tires can kill people, just ask Ford.
So, this guy with a limited knowlege of physics and customers' expectations is fuggin up everything he touches. THAT IS WHERE THE EXPENSIVE INSURANCE KICKS IN. Insurance pays for the wheel he broke/scratched. Insurance pays for the tire that went flat and caused the car to veer into a payphone with somebody usin it.

you get where i'm goin here I hope.

if you dont want to pay the high labor rates, and dont want someone scratchin your ####, take a vo-tech course in motorcycle mechanics or auto mechanics and go from there......

I can mount a standard bike rim on a regular tire maching and change it out in 1 min , nothing special required.

My shop is going to start doing bike tires after I told the owner that the local shops all charge around 50 to mount a balance a single internet bought tire on a pulled wheel.

Shops dont like to mount tires you bought from the internet , period.   I dont blame them but we are not going to
toss out a good opportunity.  
I am thinking we will be charging somewhere in the $20 range per wheel to mount and balance IF it can be mounted on our tire machines.  Some of the wider tires are tricky and those will have to be mounted by hand.
you can mount someones polished wheel, or chrome wheel on a standard tire machine without marking it....wow. Good on ya.

Yer gonna mount the big ones by hand....without scratching up the paint,polish or chrome....good luck.

How are you gonna balance them, especially the tricky ones, like those from a VFR or Ducati. (single sided swing arm bikes)

I'll do alot of the general stuff by myself. But the rest of it, I let my local tech do.

Rev is right, ya gotta find a GOOD tech, one you can trust. They can be tough to find...I am lucky as we have (in my opinion) one of the very best here in town.

I don't mind payin' for good service. My time is worth somthing too...(some might argue that point, but....)

Just my .02

By the way eynlai.....

Ya let that rear tire go WAY too far.....

That's flirtin' with disaster there....:;):

getting rid of the old oil,tires,batteries,metal,brake parts,coolant,shop rags,coveralls,  big money.
    advertising,janitorial,rent or mortgage,fuel,tools,supplies,re stocking,shipping,un-claimed items, and lets not forget...  INSURANCE, and THEFT...

the list is endless....

but....   thats why they charge...30 dollars for that.
Don't forget the 3k in tire machine and spinbalancer. the cost of weights and the lift that they put the bike on to take off the rear wheel. It's always amazed me how most people think that they are underpaid at thier jobs but want the shop to get screwed when it comes to work.

Back