How to steal a bike!

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
First of all I don't think I should be posting this question as some answers may give certain people certain ideas, but it will also make certain people me more cautious.

Someone posted here about a Gixxer 1000 being stolen and in terms of protection, it had plenty. Disc lock, "Forget About It" lock I hate the way they spell that to an immovable object, plus it was covered.

That particular bike weighs nearly 400lbs.  Now to a couple of muscle-heads that may be no problem, but for an average individual, it may take 3 to 5 guys to pick it up into a van/truck. I mean, a friend of mine had his Honda 954 stolen but he had nothing on it, didn't even lock the steering, so I could see that just being rolled away. But to me, four guys picking up a bike at least 3 feet in the air is:
1) an attention getter
2) a hassle
and
3) risky as one may lose their footing.

Geez, the dealer had a hard time loading my girl's Katana onto a pickup with aid of a ramp. The bike was on and they used the throttle to help it up and were still struggling.

Do theives go through the lifting process, or do they have an easier way?

Also, if theives do go through the lifting process, are our bikes any safer since they weigh nearly 500lbs?

If you are stealing the bike do you care if the bodywork gets scratched a little?
Two guys can put a bike in the back of a truck or van in as much time as it takes you to read this sentence.
If you were driving down a street and didn't know the bike being loaded why would you think it was being stolen?
Even if you thought it looked fishy, would you call the cops?
By the time the cops came do you think the thieves would still be there?
The truck/van license tags you just wrote down to tell the cops were stolen last night.
Bottom line, if someone else wants your bike bad enough, they'll come get it.......
Full coverage insurance is your only defense.

they did that to my bike in 2003
chained to a tree (not the fahgetaboutit) plus disc lock, plus covered plus parked in front of my car in a gated + 24hr security parking lot.
Probably in internal job. The only way to get was when one of the cars parked next to me was gone. The popo found the bike 4 days later with the front disk lock still on it.
If they want it they will get it

If you are stealing the bike do you care if the bodywork gets scratched a little?
Two guys can put a bike in the back of a truck or van in as much time as it takes you to read this sentence.
If you were driving down a street and didn't know the bike being loaded why would you think it was being stolen?
Even if you thought it looked fishy, would you call the cops?
By the time the cops came do you think the thieves would still be there?
The truck/van license tags you just wrote down to tell the cops were stolen last night.
Bottom line, if someone else wants your bike bad enough, they'll come get it.......
Full coverage insurance is your only defense.
Oh so very true. Insurance is best and hope.

a few months ago someone posted a picture of a roller set up two guys were using to move the bike with disklocks, ironically they left the rollers where the bike was stolen. i think the owner chased em down the street or sumtin.
biggrin.gif

I was "lucky" enought to witness an attempt to steal my neighbors ZX-11. Here is the sequence at it happened. He lives on the 1st floor, and I am above him on the 2nd. His bike was parked by his window (not locked). He was gonna ride to work in 15 min.

7 pm on a weekday. I hear his alarm goes off. Run to the window. See a van in the middle of the road, and 4 guys carrying the bike towards the van. My neighbor runs out with the baseball bat. They see they can't make it to the van in time, and drop the bike in the middle of the road. Van starts moving. They jump into the van, and drive away. $400 in damages. Not too bad considering they dropped it from like 2 - 3 ft hight. Another 15 sec, and the bike would be gone.

First, don't let would be thieves know you have a bike, and what kind of bike it is. Don't wash your bike proudly in your driveway. Same goes for warming up, leaving it after rides. Watch for anyone following you when you get close to home.

Second, alway keep cover on the bike. No-one is going to steal the bike before coming over and lifting the cover to find out what's under. That's extra work. By leaving the bike not covered and in plain view, it makes it easier for a thug to make decision sitting comfy in the car.

Assuming the points above are taken, and alarm with perimeter sensor and a pager is a good thing.

Locking to a solid object would slow them down.

Being inventive is good. Do something simple, but non-standard to throw the thugs off.

Ultimately, there is no absolute protection, but you could make it difficult for them.

Put your bike in a seperate garage, that is on a slight downslope and build a gate around your house, which encases your busa castle. If the freakin theives want to try to get past the dogs, the upsloap with a 400 lbs. bike & my bullets then more power to them. I can't even get my bike out of my backyard when it rains to heavy because of the mud!
blush.gif
tounge.gif

trying to protect my duc has given me countless headaches, trying to outsmart those thieves. here's what i did: shone an overhead light on it, while i park it in my driveway unlocked. the light makes it seem like god himself is smiling on it. the entranced thief walks over to it, but fails to notice the 4 foot wide moat that surrounds the light (he doesnt notice it because of the light difference conceals it). the moat drops him straight into the special circle of hell reserved for bike thieves. it took a lot of digging and damned soul borrowing, but my bike has yet to be stolen so far.

ok dude are you serious about the moat thing?
rock.gif
I just park mine behind the dumpster and park my car beside that with the scorpio

i thought everybody had a moat...

you don't?

your the last one without a moat I bet.

First of all I don't think I should be posting this question as some answers may give certain people certain ideas, but it will also make certain people me more cautious.

Someone posted here about a Gixxer 1000 being stolen and in terms of protection, it had plenty. Disc lock, "Forget About It" lock I hate the way they spell that to an immovable object, plus it was covered.

That particular bike weighs nearly 400lbs. Now to a couple of muscle-heads that may be no problem, but for an average individual, it may take 3 to 5 guys to pick it up into a van/truck. I mean, a friend of mine had his Honda 954 stolen but he had nothing on it, didn't even lock the steering, so I could see that just being rolled away. But to me, four guys picking up a bike at least 3 feet in the air is:
1) an attention getter
2) a hassle
and
3) risky as one may lose their footing.

Geez, the dealer had a hard time loading my girl's Katana onto a pickup with aid of a ramp. The bike was on and they used the throttle to help it up and were still struggling.

Do theives go through the lifting process, or do they have an easier way?

Also, if theives do go through the lifting process, are our bikes any safer since they weigh nearly 500lbs?

Yes you are correct not a good topic.... Just in case anyone gets any ideas.......

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1116064305 -->

de_044_2.jpg

most getaway vehicles have fake plates...they usually just go into a neighborhood late at night and snatch a few...takes 2 seconds...and it wont set off a car alarm...

With that said they dont care about the plate being run. Usually it’s not a distinct vehicle, and a common color. "A Blue Truck"

all the badges will be gone...no ford, no chevy...

Next it'll take 2 or 3 guys.

2 if they both get out, and 3 if one stays in the truck.

A trick I learned that REALLY works……while in art school i lived a really bad part of Houston TX.

I put a laminated sign on my bike that said. "THIS BIKE IS BEING FILMED"

i also made another one that said "HOUSTON POLICE DEPT"

NOW here is why this little trick works...
Its a gamble...50-50 that it could be true...
In my case my bike was being filmed every night via 8mm cam corder...

Plane and simple trick...

I always parked it next to my window and the camera was right there....

A friend of mine does this here and it works great...along with other measures. his bike is also truly being taped at night.

Regardless most thieves will move on to the next bike if there is something like this on a bike. its not 100% but every little bit helps.

trying to protect my duc has given me countless headaches, trying to outsmart those thieves.  here's what i did: shone an overhead light on it, while i park it in my driveway unlocked.  the light makes it seem like god himself is smiling on it.  the entranced thief walks over to it, but fails to notice the 4 foot wide moat that surrounds the light (he doesnt notice it because of the light difference conceals it).  the moat drops him straight into the special circle of hell reserved for bike thieves.  it took a lot of digging and damned soul borrowing, but my bike has yet to be stolen so far.
Thieves do not want Ducs. Duc parts are not in demand. Duc will be the last bike somebody will want to steal. Plus Most duc owners but new #### anyways...

Busa's are not high on the most stolen bike list. If you have a R1, GiXXER, or a Ninja.. those are the most wanted bikes.

I used to know several bike theives. Parts are what they want... as most of the time the motor and frame get trashed.

ROYZGSX

I was walking out of a small bar/restaurant somewhere in MI one night to ride my Harley Road King back to the motel we where staying at. I was one of the last one's leaving and the back parking lot was now dark and empty, to my surprise there are two idiots in a pickup truck trying to tie a rope to my bike and tow it out of there (it was not locked)
Thinking this was not anything I wanted them to do I walked up to them and asked what the hell they where doing,,, the answer I got back from one of the idiots was "mind your own business moran" So I took him up on that since it was my bike,,,and did draw my 45 H&K from my side holster and said that this is my biz,,, both of them run of leaving the pick up running on idle. I took the keys from it and rode back to my hotel.

Screw locks, pack heat!

Swede

There is a lojack system for motorcycles now, don't remember what the cost is though. Other than that, a locked garage and a .45 will do a lot to keep your belongings yours.

Back