Pilot Power report

vman1300

Never Forgotten
I finally have a little time on a new set of Powers. First off, I am no tire expert but I have used quite a few since 99 on my Busa.

The Powers have a V shaped profile that will take a little getting used too if you are switching from a street tire. Coming off a set of Michelin H2 race tires I was right at home.

The 1st thing, these tires warm up faster than any street tire I have used. On the ride to the Gap from Robbinsville, they felt ready to go after just a few corners.

On Friday when I made my 1st run thru the Gap, I took it sorta easy to see how they would react. The side to side transition was almost equal to the H's and far better than any of the other street tires I have used. The Powers felt really good.

On Saturday I picked up the pace and by Sunday I was running real close to the pace I do with race rubber. I will problally switch back to the H2 in warmer weather and keep the Powers close by for cooler temps.

As for wear, I have about 400 miles or so. Not much to give a good measure off wear. I will be heading back to the Gap next weekend for a little more spirited riding.

For the majority of riders, I feel the Power will offer what you are looking for.....

<!--EDIT|vman1300
Reason for Edit: None given...|1115248651 -->

csrear.JPG

Thanks for the info vman
cool.gif

I've been looking at the Powers. I'm getting a new rear tire put on this weekend, but I'm going with the Bridgestone BT56 again. Mainly because I don't want to run different compounds and profiles on the front/rear. I'll probably get a complete set at the next change time.

What pressures do you run in the powers? Do you lower the pressure for the Gap like you would on the track? Just curious
rock.gif

Thanks for the report. I've got a set just waiting to be put on!

Kevin, thanks for the update! I also just switched to this tire set-up and couldn't agree more with your thoughts........

sounds good Vman, I have a set of powers that I got during the tire day sale
cool.gif
Just put a new M1 on the rear, since I still have the front M1, but am hoping it lasts til ~july and I can put the powers on in time for the CO run
biggrin.gif

What pressures do you run in the powers?  Do you lower the pressure for the Gap like you would on the track?  Just curious
rock.gif
I am still playing around with tire pressure on these. I have been running 36 front and rear for everyday riding. I did drop them to 32 rear and 34 front. I liked that setup well. I dont know how much I will be using these at the Gap or other roads here in the mountains of WNC. I just bought a spare set of rims so I can have a set of each mounted. When I head to some great curves, I will still use the H2's.

My bike had the powers on it when I bought it. He had just installed them a couple of weeks before I bought it with 16.5K miles...It now has 19900 on it and the center of the tire is worn out, but I'm more of a straight-liner and took the first 1500-2000 miles very easy, so that may be why it lasted so long. Now I'm debating on jumping to a Shinko or sticking with the power...

My bike had the powers on it when I bought it.  He had just installed them a couple of weeks before I bought it with 16.5K miles...It now has 19900 on it and the center of the tire is worn out, but I'm more of a straight-liner and took the first 1500-2000 miles very easy, so that may be why it lasted so long.  Now I'm debating on jumping to a Shinko or sticking with the power...
It depends on what kind of riding you do on tire selection. If you are into drag/street racing, the Power would be a poor choice. It is pointed in a "V" shape, so there would not be a large contact patch. The Shinko is a awsome tire. I used one back when it was called a Yokohama 003 on one of my old GSXR's.

If you are planning on hitting any seriour curves at a brisk pace, the 003 would not be a good choice IMO. In this world of motorcycling, we all want tires to last 10000 miles and corner like a cat on carpet.

You have to decide what you want out of a tire. Are you looking for a tire to go to the strip/street on a regular basis or a tire to hit the curves? Maybe the best bet is a spare rear rim.

Thanks for the imput. I think I'm going with a Shinko for this time since I'm mainly straightline. I like the curves, but I'm not that good, so I don't have that much lean.

I also have put on powers. The biggest difference, warmup time, what warmup time? These tires are ready togo quickly
biggrin.gif

Good to know keep us posted on the milage, I have a set in the garage waiting for the current tire to wear out, should be soon.

Back