Balence Beads Givin Them A Shot

Tb3

Registered
Recently put new tires on. Couple weeks ago the stick on weight on the front flung off while riding at about 40mph.
I've read good and bad on the beads the past few years, but figure what the heck.
So I bought some of the counteract brand off ebay and put in the recommended 1 ounce for the front.
Today is first ride with them and I can't tell the differance because I didn't feel any vibration at all when I was riding around with no front weight.
I hit 100mph a couple times this morning and never noticed any vibration. So I guess everything is good, or hopefully better.
Is there any thing else I should pay attention to?
So far I've only done the front

did the rear and rode this past saterday. got into triple digit speeds for a couple spurts and everything feels a-ok.

I always tape my stick on weights. Goes back to my pit hand days. Hard habit to break. Modern tires never really seem to need a lot of weight. I seldom have more than an ounce on a tire. With modern manufacturing processes tire balancing might be a thing of the past one day.

I hate to sound old school on you because I like new tech usually BUT I am weary of beads in bikes even though the tube deals work well in heavy trucks. I have heard too much bad stuff in narrow bike tires. One big thing is if you don't use nitrogen the moisture in air will clump up the beads and makes for big problems. Mechanic bike shops use them cause they dump em in and send you on your way avoiding liability by referring it to the manufacture, but motorcycle tire shops do it with an expensive balance machine and stick on weights and frown on beads. Maybe the truck tube deals work well because they come sealed?

Balance beads aye? Interesting to hear the OP has so far had good results. Be keen to hear how the beads behave as the tyre nears end of life, as the moisture content of the air in the tyre can indeed make the beads lump together. So to add a little bit of trucking experience to this, a sharp operator tried to use balance beads on steer tyres on his fancy rig. Didn't work too well in the long run, yep you guessed it, due to the beads lumping together. Caused a significant vibration, so back to good old stick on weights.

For the bike I just use a static balancer. Bit of patience works wonders. Proper stick on weights, never lost any yet, but then I clean the surface good and proper beforehand. Bike goes to the track every now and then, no problems at speed, so as old fashioned as stick on weights might be I'll stick with them...pardon the pun!

These things have been discussed ad nausem in the past.

I guess it would be fine if you don't change tires but once a year, but otherwise it's just not worth the trouble.

Good luck.

Ride on and all self sealing fluid ( slime) is self balancing. Used it for years, saved me many times on trips long from home

I have been using beads and have not had any problems or issues. The beads I use are coated glass and not sure if they could clump. I am at the end of my tires life, they have around 14,000 miles on them and ride as smooth as silk. Have done high speed runs and no vibration at any speed.

I have been using beads and have not had any problems or issues. The beads I use are coated glass and not sure if they could clump. I am at the end of my tires life, they have around 14,000 miles on them and ride as smooth as silk. Have done high speed runs and no vibration at any speed.

I think the counter act beads are also coated and arent supposed to clump up with moisture.
I have a aircompresser with a in-line dryer, but obviously thats not as good as using nitrogen.
last weekend I did a couple 130 mph blast just to test for any vibration and was smooth as glass.
if your at the end of your tire life, would you mind posting any thing abnormal you might find on the inside? (clumping, abrasion on wheel, etc.
I recently bought a nomar tire changer and plan on doing my own tire changes from here on out, but I just installed my q 3's.
when I do change them I'll definetly do a vid or pics.
what I think is pretty cool is that the tire gets balenced everytime you take off, vs only getting balenced when the tire is new, or if you are constantly removing/balencing/reinstalling the wheel

I think the counter act beads are also coated and arent supposed to clump up with moisture.
I have a aircompresser with a in-line dryer, but obviously thats not as good as using nitrogen.
last weekend I did a couple 130 mph blast just to test for any vibration and was smooth as glass.
if your at the end of your tire life, would you mind posting any thing abnormal you might find on the inside? (clumping, abrasion on wheel, etc.
I recently bought a nomar tire changer and plan on doing my own tire changes from here on out, but I just installed my q 3's.
when I do change them I'll definetly do a vid or pics.
what I think is pretty cool is that the tire gets balenced everytime you take off, vs only getting balenced when the tire is new, or if you are constantly removing/balencing/reinstalling the wheel

Sure will. I am using counteract beads. Ordering tires this weekend so hopefully will know something by the end of the week.

Beads were not clumped together, I have never had nitrogen ,just regular air in the tires. Rim showed zero sign of wear. Actually reused beads in my new tires. 14,756 miles.
20170711_174223.jpg
20170711_174232.jpg

I am not saying beads are the very best option, but I am having decent results with them. Living in the middle of nowhere the only other option I have is just a bubble balance and I think this is just as good. The only negative with my used tires were I was starting to get some cupping on the front tire. Not sure if that was the beads fault or the fact I like my suspension a little on the stiff side and the tires has almost 15,000 miles on them.

Reactions: Tb3
If they're workin for you, great.
A static balancer is an option too.
All I've used for many years. Never an issue.
Countless top speed runs, and on several bikes. Much better than a bubble balancer.:beerchug:

Beads were not clumped together, I have never had nitrogen ,just regular air in the tires. Rim showed zero sign of wear. Actually reused beads in my new tires. 14,756 miles.
View attachment 1573851 View attachment 1573852
I am not saying beads are the very best option, but I am having decent results with them. Living in the middle of nowhere the only other option I have is just a bubble balance and I think this is just as good. The only negative with my used tires were I was starting to get some cupping on the front tire. Not sure if that was the beads fault or the fact I like my suspension a little on the stiff side and the tires has almost 15,000 miles on them.

Thank you for the info sir!
and thanks for the pic!
The miles on my hayabusa have slowed down drastically due to a RC51 purchase to make it easier to learn to ride the twisty's and the track, but my hayabusa isn't going anywhere. I will get back to riding it more this fall, and I will also report back and take a pic of my next tire change.
I think I'm probably gonna be on the same wall of thinking as you. Beads may not be the end-all be-all for everyone at the moment, but for some of us (depending on the conditions), they may be not only be ideal, but better than lead weights.

thanks to everybody for their input :beerchug:

Back