10 Years Ago Today

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Today I celebrate another anniversary in my life. There are many that knew me 10 years ago and many friends and family that will remember the hot summer day in 2007 when I was involved in a motorcycle accident on Hwy 37. Every year around this time I get emotional and think back to that day, a fresh start for me really. In some ways that crash forced me to adjust my priorities and helped me to see the important things that were right in front of me every single day that I ignored and pushed aside.

As the years have gone by I have learned to deal with the constant pains and aches of the physical injuries obtained that day. A broken, ruptured and bulging vertebra in my neck and a broken T-5 in my back are consistent reminders of the second chance God granted me to reset my life. There are day's the migraines are unbearable but they are great reminders that I have the luxury to still feel the pain, it's better than the alternative!

I remember several month after the accident and I was still having severe headaches, I had been X-Rayed over and over and had spent hours getting MRI's when my surgeon finally told me that they knew why my headaches persisted. In that process he stated they found that I had an injury that he had observed and sent my films to several of his peers across the country. This particular surgeon had been in practice for over 25 years and he stated to me in a very serious voice that he, nor any of his peers ever seen the injury that I suffered on anyone that wasn't a quadriplegic or dead. I remember standing motionless afraid to move after months of activity and the surgeon told me that the damage was scarred over and I was fine. At the time of the crash it seems that my C-Spine ruptured the covering over my spinal column and I was leaking out cerebral spinal fluid. The doc told me then that this was a gift and second chance on life and I hope that I have taken the last 10 years as just as he described, a gift.

I wish my father and oldest son Evan & wasn't there that day to see me laying on the ground motionless, I hate that they saw me that way. I have no doubt that this event brought Evan and I closer and my Love for life and my family was multiplied.

I hope that on this 10 year anniversary others can look at my life and see that I am different, that they noticed a change. I hope that my family knows that I love them more every day and I am so grateful for the past 10 years with them. I thank God for the opportunity to adjust and have the second chance to do better.

What a joy it has been to see my son's grow, spend 10 more years with Kristie and live life with some great friends.

What will the next 10 hold for me? More great changes I hope……

busa-wreck 030-sized.jpg
busa-wreck 046-sized.jpg

Thank you for sharing Cap, powerful less to learn and share with others. I for one am glad you are still here, as it wasnt long after that we met. Remember that "long ride" to OKC thread I started. Sheesh.

Thanks for keeping the "doors open" here CAP! Believe me I feel your pain. Hope we can revisit this thread in another 10!

I remember when that happened. Glad you got the second chance. Thanks for sharing your feelings.

The things that had to line up just so for that accident to not only happen but then happen in a manner that left you a Just in the other side of life long disabilities or worse no life at all are staggering to contemplate...

I don't know if calling your accident a "gift" is quite right, but it sounds like you now have a unique view on the value of every single day and every single relationship.

I hope you don't have much in the way of lingering physical pain from that crash.

Thank you for all you do for us.

The things that had to line up just so for that accident to not only happen but then happen in a manner that left you a Just in the other side of life long disabilities or worse no life at all are staggering to contemplate...

There is no doubt in my mind that I was the recipient of a second chance and that I needed to get some things done. I can tell you that my son that was 13 then and was there with us on the ride is now a college graduate, married, he has been called into Christian ministry and is currently attending Seminary. My youngest son is following right in the same steps as his brother and wants to attend the same college and not sure where he goes after that. My family is tremendously important to me, they always have been but now are without fail the absolute priority second only to the God I serve.

cap

Doug i can totally agree with you,, back in 1997, Friday the 13th, of June, i had a major crash,, i was soooo lucky,
a rabbits foot,
cats 9 lives where all used up, in one shot.
I was stupid,, and thats it,
STUPID.
Took out a almost 200HP bike for a test run,, and yes it hooked up,
Tossed me like a rag doll, i had rash all over my back,, arms, hands where the worst,, and ill end at that,
I was wrapped up like a mummy for almost 3 months, as well as out of work, because of the accident.
Im lucky to be alive, as well i wish i could grasp who really was watching over me.
That time in my life, i had lost faith, and im still looking, i know there is something, but still have not found it totally. I have found family has made a huge ompact, as well my outlook on my future.
My Granddaughter has a huge impact on my outlook on my future, as well as my humanity.

Back