Quick Connect Tail Section Container??

Sirsdg

Registered
Ive poured over the tail section in effort to find a way to best create a method to "grocery get"
my requirements are must be able to carry two 12 packs. plus food.

Ive looked at aftermarket stuff ( givi bags=too pricey and too perminate) most standard saddlebags cant handle the wieght without sagging or pose risk to swingarm/tire OR require too much additional stuff...

what ive come up with and wanted to bounce around here and see what thoughts are.
take the internals of the gen 2 humpcowling, IE the plastic chunk with the two L hooks and the pin system, add four mount points and bolt to a frame. ( may run re-enforcing strips along the plastic part to keep it form cracking to hell under load, then fab two "pipe" under to accomodate sliding in side frames and use a pin to hold them in place. the "hump" replaced peice on top fab up an aluminum container of sorts, english wheel and shape it so its got some charicter but still long enough to fit a foam food box in easily or a couple sub sandwiches. likely as wide as the tail section itsself to accomodate the side additional support brackets. on those fab up a basic aluminum framwork shaped "L" for the right side with a diagonal brace bar on the front section ( so 12 packs dont go shooting into my leg under heavy braking.

what im curious of is what type of load can that mounting spot take? obvoiusly some downward load considering passengers park asses on it.. but side to side and shear load. the object is to be able to turn key remove the entire section and replace it iwth the cowling at will without any tools or time spent and no hardware installed in addition to the bike. Ill work on a drawing today of it. Ill be sussing this out for the next few months and plotting the design before I actually mock up anything. most likely Ill fab the trunk/hump first and sort out mounting points for the side pans after. ( im leaning to leaving an inch space plus between the mount plate and the bottom of the trunk to run something continuous through to attach both side pans.)

( yes im a certified welder, have a full shop and TIG to do the aluminum. )

couple of problems,
1 mounting load.
2 material choice ( aluminum seems the obvious since wieght reduction is a good thing. BUT depending on the aluminum type IE 6061 t6 sheet is vastly stronger than say mystery aluminum bar stock.. stainless would be the strongest option. but the wieght is undesirable. Im thinking the frame and mounting points done in stainless and the aluminum trunk riveted to the framework.
id considered putting a gasket on the trunk, but personally I avoid the water falling from the sky as a rule.. ( to the point where ill stay an extra night in a hotel til it blows over.)

ive got little faith in the plastic pan used to hold the cowling on but its one less thing to fab using it. HOWEVER...
if i actually fab up the main platen and use the OEM mounting block ( where the pin enters the locking side) then ive got metal as a base and could feasibly increase overall max load. ) granted, im expecting no more than 60 lbs of total load even if I where to load it up for a cross country trip, ( total packed wieght on a 4 month ride to the four corners of the continental US was 48 lbs. thanks to backpacking pals I know.)

Buy a used passenger seat.
take the cover and foam off.
Bolt any small bike storage box, or even a plastic milk crate to it. The white plastic pan can be painted any color.
Blancabusaless made a nice setup a few years back. The clamshell type container he used was large enough for a helmet, and still had extra room in it.

I use a Nelson Rigg tail bag for grocery getting. Don't know if it will hold 2 twelve packs but it expands and will hold quite a bit. I just hook it to tie down bolts.

IMG_2177.JPG

The rear rack bars ? Yes however you do not have to use the rack it is a option from SW MOTEC
just bags you will have 2 half dollar sized quick
Connects were Frankenstein bolts go on each side
And one rectangle bracket on back of passenger peg/exhaust mounts

Back