Changed My Coolant Today

bird1300

Registered
Today I changed the coolant in my 05 busa. There was some kind of sediment in the bottom of the overflow bottle. It looked like sand but felt like putty. What could this stuff be? I am going to try to put some pics up.
ATTACH]
20170621_150938_zpsnwi6ukya.gif

20170621_152537_zps5nzwlo4l.gif

20170621_151622_zpsnjx2y9pp.gif

Attachments

• 20170621_150938_zpsnwi6ukya.gif
    20170621_150938_zpsnwi6ukya.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 54
ewe!
subscribed.
I'm doing a coolant flush this weekend or next week sometime when I do a header change.
I highly doubt its ever been done

Not sure the coolant on my bike has been done before either. I like to change the oil, filter, and coolant as well as clean and lube the chain on a used bike right after I purchase it. My peace of mind.

Additives dropping out – coolant consists of a base (typically ethylene glycol or propylene glycol) mixed with additives and water. The base is primarily responsible for providing freeze and boil-over protection. The additives guard against corrosion, cavitation and scaling. Mixing of incompatible coolants, however, can cause the additives to “drop out” of the solution and form sludge or slime.

Copied off Amsoil blog. There's tons of useful info on there. https://www.google.com/amp/blog.amsoil.com/why-is-there-sludgeslime-in-my-radiator/amp/

Bigoltool, the inside of the radiator looked clean.
1303, that info is relieving! Probably the original coolant. 12 years old.
Thanks guys!

Ha ha! Nah jellyrug, that stuff definitely came out of the overflow bottle and the line that feeds it. I hope it all came out when I flushed it. Just in case there is more, I will change it again in a month.

Back