Want To Break 200 Mph On Gen1

Smokey74

Registered
Just looking for a quick answer from the guys that should know.. my mostly stock 06 makes 163 to the wheel. I'm looking to add nitros and try to go 200+ mph on GPS. My mechanic recommend a 40 shot and explained that once turned it will end up being more like 50 hp add. So that means roughly 213 rwhp.. I'm currently 240 lbs. Will my bike hit the mark? Do I need to diet or add more power or both?? Gearing change or stock?? I know there are plenty of other options but just looking for answers to my questions. Thanks

Just looking for a quick answer from the guys that should know . . .

My mostly stock 06 makes 163 to the wheel.

I'm looking to add nitrous and try to go 200+ mph on GPS.

My mechanic recommend a 40 shot and explained that once turned it will end up being more like 50 hp add.

So that means roughly 213 rwhp ?

I'm currently 240 lbs.

Will my bike hit the mark?

Do I need to diet or add more power or both??

Gearing change or stock??

I know there are plenty of other options but just looking for answers to my questions.

Thanks .

20170430_185247.jpg

Find the longest stretch of down hill roadway to pin it on ~ gear it one tooth smaller out back & loose some weight . . .

View attachment 1573124

Find the longest stretch of down hill roadway to pin it on ~ gear it one tooth smaller out back & loose some weight . . .

I'm not gonna lose 100 lbs.. I tooth? That's it?? I've run it out many times, speedo buried and stopped pulling. Didn't have GPS on me but I know it wasn't 200 mph. I've seen 192 indicated on a different bike. 200 mark is on my list of to do's

I'm not gonna lose 100 lbs..

1 tooth?

That's it??

I've run it out many times,
speedometer buried and stopped pulling.

Didn't have GPS on me but I know it wasn't 200 mph.

I've seen 192 indicated on a different bike.

200 mark is on my list of to do's .

Turn on your GPS the next time you fly on an airliner ~ I'm sure that you will get two hundred miles per hour . . .

Sorry to tell you its going to take more than a shot of nos. At 240 lbs i would think plus 1 out rear is enough. If not maybe plus 1 in front too. Its going to take more than a mile. Honestly, i think you are going to need power.

Put an 18T countersprocket on the front, get your ecu flashed to get rid of the top speed limiter and raise your rev limit to 12,000; get your bike dyno tuned
by someone who knows what they are doing, go out with your gps and see what you gained. BTW, a 40 shot will put 30 to the tire, period. And if you go that route, you better make sure you are adding enough fuel on that nitrous map to make it safe . . .

A head and cam package will accomplish what you want without spraying.

Put an 18T countersprocket on the front, get your ecu flashed to get rid of the top speed limiter and raise your rev limit to 12,000; get your bike dyno tuned
by someone who knows what they are doing, go out with your gps and see what you gained. BTW, a 40 shot will put 30 to the tire, period. And if you go that route, you better make sure you are adding enough fuel on that nitrous map to make it safe . . .

My ECU is "unleashed" with all limiters removed and bike was dyno tuned with 13:1 air fuel ratio across the board and 163 rwhp. Basically just slip ons and a good tune is all that's done right now. The same tuner is the one that told me a 40 shot would net closer to 50 at the wheel with fuel mapping change included. He wasn't sure about what Gearing combo to use but seemed to think I'd have the power needed to break 200 mph. I have a 3 to 4 mile stretch that is slightly down hill for the first mile and then levels off. I can probably drop 20 lbs. and obviously changing Gearing is no big deal, just looking for accurate info from someone who's done it on a Gen1.

Last edited:

Can you tell me more about the head and cam package? I was told a 40 shot was safe with proper fueling. It's definitely cheap in comparison to other options I've looked at.

Because you are focused on top end, your bike should have been dynoed with the ram air compensation turned off, and the rev limit set at 12,000 rpm.
The ram air should then be re-enabled, set for the final gearing you decide on. A 40 shot is safe with the proper fueling, but it won't put 50 to the rear wheel,
sorry, I have done enough nitrous to know. And yes, nitrous is less expensive compared to other options, although other options are safer - especially when you intend on holding the bike wide open for several miles.

Because you are focused on top end, your bike should have been dynoed with the ram air compensation turned off, and the rev limit set at 12,000 rpm.
The ram air should then be re-enabled, set for the final gearing you decide on. A 40 shot is safe with the proper fueling, but it won't put 50 to the rear wheel,
sorry, I have done enough nitrous to know. And yes, nitrous is less expensive compared to other options, although other options are safer - especially when you intend on holding the bike wide open for several miles.

Thanks for the info.. My plan was to get the bike to 185+ and then give it the juice to get me over 200. I don't plan on leaving the kit installed permanently, just long enough to accomplish my goal. I will put the bike back to stock afterwards as it is my sport tourer. It only has 3,200 miles on it and will probably get sprayed less than a dozen times. Safety is a concern but I am experienced at speeds above 180 mph. What do you recommend?

If your not going to spray till 5th or 6th gear I would do a wet system. If you put your bike on a diet and you lose 20 pounds you can hit 200 mph in a straight away. Go 1 tooth up in the front and smaller rear tire. Bump the Rev limiter up too. Lower your bike as much as you can safely.

Nitrous.
When you jet for a 40 shot you should see 30 whp gain to 40 whp gain. Depending the nitrous set up you run and bottle pressure. That's why when you use nitrous you start small and work your way up in jets. I have sprayed many bikes and always started small. Like a 20 shot and worked my way up. Helps you figure how much the bike wants in fuel when swapping out jets.

To break 200 you will need to lose some weight, have at less 200 whp, and good conditions.

Get something to data log too. That is a very helpful tool.

With your weight/HP you will need to spray the whole time so you will need 2 small bottles or 1 large bottle or you will run out of N2O...... and hope for a good tail wind. I had your exact specs and ran 199mph. It also caved in a landing on one piston.

So I built a 1441 and had no problem breaking 200 each time I ran. My best was 210.8 MPH

With your weight/HP you will need to spray the whole time so you will need 2 small bottles or 1 large bottle or you will run out of N2O...... and hope for a good tail wind. I had your exact specs and ran 199mph. It also caved in a landing on one piston.

So I built a 1441 and had no problem breaking 200 each time I ran. My best was 210.8 MPH

You do realize I'm not trying to do this in a mile? I'm just simply looking to exceed 200 mph. I don't care if it's 2, 3 or even 4 miles. I don't see why I need to use the nos the entire time as the bike will get me to 185 the way it is. Once up to speed I'm just looking for a boost to push me past 200. I am looking at the dual small bottle set up though.

Nope...didn't realize that, most conversation on 200mph is in a mile.

When I ran the mile, I started with 1# bottle in the hump and ran out before I was through the mile (pressure drop). So I added a second bottle a 2.5# bottle in the swing arm and it last over 2 runs....but I was spraying 1st through 6th when full throttle and above 6000 rpm.

Be careful and think about doing it on a track. If nothing else, you will have a speed certificate that you did actually break 200 MPH.

Nope...didn't realize that, most conversation on 200mph is in a mile.

When I ran the mile, I started with 1# bottle in the hump and ran out before I was through the mile (pressure drop). So I added a second bottle a 2.5# bottle in the swing arm and it last over 2 runs....but I was spraying 1st through 6th when full throttle and above 6000 rpm.

Be careful and think about doing it on a track. If nothing else, you will have a speed certificate that you did actually break 200 MPH.

That's what I figured.. Track has too many rules and I really don't care about the certificate. This is just for me and I have the perfect spot that will be safe, relatively speaking. I've been running my bikes out on the street for 25 years and have taken many above 185 mph but never hit 200. I just want to do it so I can cross it off my list and be able to tell my grandkids Pap Pap rode his motorcycle over 200 mph. Hope to get some good video of it as well.

So.. now that you know it's not a mile.. do you have any advice on bike set up or do you think my plan will work? I've already held the busa wide open for miles with the speedo buried. She's super stable and smooth.. better than any 1000cc bike I've run out.

Might as well jump in .....

You have several hurtles that you must overcome. First is the exhaust, with just slip ons, it a cork that will just kill the top end RPM with or without Nitrous. Next is relying on nitrous for top end speed. While you can make the horses, you won't over a long time with a small bottle. As the bottle pressure drops, you will go richer and richer, making less power when you need it. And speaking of horses, your fuel system is only good for about 220 wHP (with spray) and that's iffy over a long distance. And of course, your size, especially with a stock tank. It takes a tight tuck for 200.

Here is what you need: Good Exhaust, good fuel pump, lower the bike, double bubble screen, 18/40 gearing, flash the ecu and use Boost by Smith nitrous harness, 50 HP shot, 2.5 bottle in the hump, nitrous gauge keeping the bottle around 1000 psi, and use a quality nitrous system that doesn't dump all the nitrous into just 1 or 2 cylinders. Do pulls without nitrous until you get the tuck right, hands in, feet end, elbows down, tuck like you love your bike. It will be no good trying to break 200 if you have to spray more than 15-20 seconds, the bottle will loose too much pressure. And do it safety, I would highly recommend going to Loring and racing on the 1.5 mile track.

Might as well jump in .....

You have several hurtles that you must overcome. First is the exhaust, with just slip ons, it a cork that will just kill the top end RPM with or without Nitrous. Next is relying on nitrous for top end speed. While you can make the horses, you won't over a long time with a small bottle. As the bottle pressure drops, you will go richer and richer, making less power when you need it. And speaking of horses, your fuel system is only good for about 220 wHP (with spray) and that's iffy over a long distance. And of course, your size, especially with a stock tank. It takes a tight tuck for 200.

Here is what you need: Good Exhaust, good fuel pump, lower the bike, double bubble screen, 18/40 gearing, flash the ecu and use Boost by Smith nitrous harness, 50 HP shot, 2.5 bottle in the hump, nitrous gauge keeping the bottle around 1000 psi, and use a quality nitrous system that doesn't dump all the nitrous into just 2 cylinders. Do pulls without nitrous until you get the tuck right, hands in, feet end, elbows down, tuck like you love your bike. It will be no good trying to break 200 if you have to spray more than 15-20 seconds, the bottle will loose too much pressure. And do it safety, I would highly recommend going to Loring and racing on the 1.5 mile track.

Thanks.. I'm 6' 1" tall, 50 inch chest. I don't have a belly so I can tuck in pretty good if my ass is back against the hump. I could drop 20 lbs but I'd rather add more power if possible. Lol... 15-20 seconds of spray should be more than enough if I wait to use it until I'm going 180+. Wasn't aware of a 1.5 mile track but in either case, I think I will need more room than that with the mods I'm thinking about. I don't want to spend thousands to do this a few times. I'm returning the bike to stock after I'm done.

Back