Facelift On The Beast

HoboJoe

Registered
Howdy Cowboys . I am beginning to think that this search is becoming an exercise in futility. Have begun thinking that maybe my best and most cost effective option might be to find one that is perhaps a bit rough around the edges cosmetically. Have begun searching out a new set of bodywork. I would tend to think that some of you more experienced hands have already done something like this. As always would greatly appreciate some advice and opinions on where to purchase as well as the positives and negative's of such a course of action. Thanks again......via con Dios

I would have a budget, and be patient.
There are alot of good bikes at cheap prices out there. They are for sale here often too.
Guaranteed if you buy junk today...there will be 5 great deals tomorrow.

Howdy Cowboys . I am beginning to think that this search is becoming an exercise in futility. Have begun thinking that maybe my best and most cost effective option might be to find one that is perhaps a bit rough around the edges cosmetically. Have begun searching out a new set of bodywork. I would tend to think that some of you more experienced hands have already done something like this. As always would greatly appreciate some advice and opinions on where to purchase as well as the positives and negative's of such a course of action. Thanks again......via con Dios
Do a search on aftermarket fairings and read all the horror stories on that. I'm with sixpack on this one.

Now there you go with that "P"
Word again. . This IS going to be tuff. Patience is not one of My strong points. I don't suffer fools well anymore but I do get where you're coming from. And of course you're right about the deals coming after I commit. Ain't that always the way. The key I think would be to find a machine that has not been abused or neglected and didn't need a ton of work or money thrown at it before you could feel confident that it won't come apart from under you. That's where a keen eye, the right questions followed by the right answers and some mechanical knowledge would come in handy. As for the Bodywork, I have seen some positive posts here regarding the Nicecycle parts and did take a look. Seems to be nice stuff at a reasonable cost without being bottom of the barrel. From the two responses thus far I'll say it's a vote against. Hopefully someone else might be able to relate a more positive outcome from doing something similar. Either way, I do rely on the sizable experiences the members of this Board have already been thru and appreciate them all. Seems like an invaluable resource to me. Thanks again

There is a strong argument made from both sides. It all depends on your situation. Budget for one, you can find bikes that have been sitting on the showroom floorfor a couple of years with 0 miles. Those dealers are willing to deal. Plus you get all of the suzuki perks. Your also looking at 9-10K, but you have a brand new bike.

You could also find a bike that needs some work save alot of money up front and do the work yourself. May or may not end up saving in the long run.

Lastly you could be patient set a budget for what your willing to spend. Figure out what exactly your looking for (gen 1, gen2, stock, what mods if any). Then ask for help here to find it and advice when you think you have. (Things you have already done)
I have even seen guys here take the time to go look at a bike for a complete stranger just to help them out.

This is why I landed here in the first place. As much as anything, doesn't seem to be a whole lot of Snobbery here. A quick example. Played Drums back in The Day. A Musician thru and thru. Still am in my heart. Will always be. Once Life came at me fast and furious Family took over and the Musical life became secondary. No regrets. GOD, FAMILY. COUNTRY. Recently, I decided it was time to do it again. I had been out of it for so long, I needed to brush up some. Joined a widely viewed forum in hopes of gaining some current knowledge of what I was looking to put together. The Kit itself, cymbals, hardware and the like. Two weeks later, not a single reply, opinion or word of advise. Plenty of views. Just no one willing to spend a moment to help a fellow Drummer. Never met a more arrogant, high handed and Provincial group of people in all my days. Told them so in no uncertain terms as well. Probably why they threw me out. Good Riddence. From the start have not found that here. Just regular people with a common interest sharing what they know. Not a bunch that really thinks too all fired much about themselves. Really a breath of fresh air. Apologies for the length of this post but I've been looking to get that off my chest for over a year. Feels good! Hey, did I get that Profile thing right? Thanks as always

I know you probably know this, but we are not trying to make your search harder. I'll give my" hayabusa buying experience". I looked for hayabusas for a few months and there was some listed with stupid high prices. I sat down and started searching one day in march, 2011 and found one bike listed by a dealer I had dealt with before. The bike was listed as a new silver 2009. At the time, I wasn't sure i wanted to spend the money, but it was not that far off from what people were asking for used bikes. I gave them a call and setup an appointment. Long story short, They went to their warehouse to get the bike while I did the paperwork and called me to let me know that it was actually a white bike, not silver. I said, fine I'll take it anyways. I went home that day with a new bike, at 0% finance for a little over 10k out the door. I figured this was my dream bike and I was going to keep it for years to come. Not sure if you have considered a new bike, but something to think about. I've gone both ways on cars and motorcycle purchases depending on what's out there and my money situation.
One more thing, if you post budget, location and what you are looking for, we can maybe keep eyes out and like stated above, some members have checked bikes out for other members in other areas. You might end up with a nice deal and road trip as the icing on the cake. Lol!

Last edited:
Back