Plasti-dipped Again, This Time It's Bright

InfiniteReality

Registered
With summer right around the corner (even tho it feels like it already here), figured it was time to dip the bike again. I bought a couple of gallons on Black Friday with this one being the brightest. Wasn't my best dip job, as I ended up having crap in my gun that kept spitting out when spraying it, but oh well. I used a gallon of white as the base coat, then a gallon of Blaze Orange for the top coat. I considered using TopCoat for a shine, but with the crap in my gun I couldn't get out, figured it wasn't worth it. I ended up kinda digging the matte for this color. Pictures don't do this color justice, it's stupid bright and orange in person. Like brighter than the safety orange deer hunters have to wear. I love this color alot more than I expected once it was back together.

Short video of the bike when playing with the P4:

IMG_3798.jpg

IMG_3796.jpg

IMG_3802.jpg

IMG_3795.jpg

IMG_3806.jpg

IMG_3807.jpg

IMG_3812.jpg

IMG_3816.jpg

IMG_3819.jpg

IMG_3822.jpg

IMG_3824.jpg

IMG_3829.jpg

IMG_3831.jpg

IMG_3840.jpg

Last edited:
It's amazing how quick you change colors. In the time I've been thinking about plastidipping mine, you've gone through 3 or 4 themes. You make it look like it's easier than changing undies. LOL!
I think your best two so far have been the green and the blue ones.

It's amazing how quick you change colors. In the time I've been thinking about plastidipping mine, you've gone through 3 or 4 themes. You make it look like it's easier than changing undies. LOL!
I think your best two so far have been the green and the blue ones.

Haha, thanks! It actually is easy to do, just clean, remove everything, tape a few things off, wipe down and spray. :) What does take a bit of time is when you remove it, while it's not hard it isn't as quick as the make it seem. Probably takes a couple of hours to peel it and noticed it's more difficult when using TopCoat for some reason. I seem to change colors every spring and fall, and already have a color just waiting for fall to come around.

insane. i like that color. do you put new emblems on each time or are you taping and peeling them?

insane. i like that color. do you put new emblems on each time or are you taping and peeling them?

Thanks. I just spray over the OEM graphics, then cut out new decals every time and overlay them on the dip. Took a while tracing and drawing them up in CAD, but glad I did initally and came in handy 5x so far, lol. I need to revise some and have them extend further, but never think to do it until I'm installing them.

Your new name is The Chameleon !

Lol !

I liked the last color better but this is cool also .

It's a very Hayabusa sort of color .

I think you're the only guy with more Bold New Graphic's than Suzuki !

That's a BIG bottle under there . . .

$_3.JPG

Thanks for the compliments! I have to agree, the busa pulls off a color this bright very well. When I walked into the parking lot after work yesterday, in the slew of cars and a couple of bikes, mine stuck out like a sore thumb.....which is good, at least I can be seen and actually feel a lot safer on the bike, lol.

As far as spraying, this product makes me look good. It's extremely easy to spray with a Wagner-type of gun. When it's wet, it looks kind of rough but self levels and comes out smooth. The TopCoat (clear coat) is a little more difficult to spray though, it's thinner and have to keep moving.

The bottle is all show and no go....the "got nitrous?" decal on my bottle is actually poking fun at myself, lol! I actually do have it hooked up to a purge and filled with CO2 and the plan was to put a dry kit on it, but never have. I just like the way it fills the swing arm gap....and looks kinda cool. :)

I sprayed my stock mirrors with the Kanji-mod, but decided to change things up and got some matte black mirrors that have signals on the mirror itself as well as the outside. I really dig the way these look and they're actually useful. I haven't ridden with them long enough after getting them aligned to make a call if they're better or worse than OEM, but I think they're about on par with them so far.

Cool - When the title said Bright I was expecting Corvette Yellow. :D

Have you ever figured out how much money you have spent changing colors - what 3 or 5 times a year?
How much time from start to finish does it take you?
I suppose you have it down to a science now, right?

And one more:

Are you married and if so, does your wife approve of all the money and time spent getting a new bike numerous times a year? :popcorn:

Cool - When the title said Bright I was expecting Corvette Yellow. :D

Have you ever figured out how much money you have spent changing colors - what 3 or 5 times a year?
How much time from start to finish does it take you?
I suppose you have it down to a science now, right?

And one more:

Are you married and if so, does your wife approve of all the money and time spent getting a new bike numerous times a year? :popcorn:

I think one of my future colors may be Blaze Yellow since I running out of basic colors to do, lol. After seeing this color in person, I'm really considering it.

This is the 5th time I've dipped it since 2013, but to be fair it's the 4th time I've dipped it since August-ish of 2015. I also dipped the whole Raptor July 2015.

As far as money, the first dip (white) cost me $205 shipped because I bought the dip and their gun setup. It takes a gallon to do the bike including mirrors and nitrous bottle, so once you have the gun (or already own a Wagner-type of gun) a gallon can be as cheap as $55. Adding pearls to it adds a little bit of cost, but regular pearls are only $15 (for a gallon of dip). Of course, the color changing pearls are more expensive with the Hypershift being the most expensive of the pearls but also has the most drastic color change too. If you decide you want a gloss finish you can get away with only using a quart of TopCoat for $25. So you can get away doing it for under $100 pretty easily but could double the price as well or some where in between. :)

Not including the gun, the white was the cheapest since I didn't use a base coat, pearl or TopCoat. The most expensive Hayabusa dip I've done was the Hypershift ZTN which costed me right at $200 sipped. I've also done my old Ford Raptor and got it on a promo and costed me $328 shipped (light blue and black, no pearl or clear).

An hour to wash and dry the bike, an hour to pull fairings off, maybe an hour max to tape lights and misc parts, an hour to spray and an hour to put it back together, an hour to cut out new graphics and apply......so 5hrs of work total. I usually wash/dry the bike, remove fairings and wipe them down Friday, spray it saturday when I wake up and re-install & graphics Sunday.

Plasti-Dip makes me look good. It self levels and really easy to spray. Worse part is taking bike apart and putting back together, lol. Yep I'm married and wife doesn't mind how often I dip it, although sometimes doesn't care for the color. For the most part I'd guess I've spent maybe $750 total for all 5 dips including the gun. :)

First off, I must apologize... I did NOT dip my bike Blaze Orange, it's actually called FIREBELLY ORANGE. I have no clue why I called it Blaze Orange, they only sell those in rattle cans....although I do think they're basically the same color, just you can buy Firebelly in gallons.

Couple more random pictures when trying to take an actual picture to accurately capture just how stupid bright the color is. The more I see it, the more I fall in love with the color. Just something how how crazy bright it is gets to me. I really do feel A LOT safer riding the bike in traffic. The last picture is one of the more accurate pictures when the only light in the shop is the flood light in the background, yet the color still appears to glow.

IMG_20170319_095706.jpg

IMG_20170319_114052.jpg

IMG_20170321_152607.jpg

IMG_20170321_154230.jpg

Thanks for the info you gave.

The color is alright, just not sure if the matte surface would hold up to bugs etc.
Sure it looks good now in pristine condition - but if you ride it a 100 miles or more - then photo it and let us see it with bugs.
Would like to know how well it cleans up.

Then again maybe that's why you change colors so often. No need to clean your bike just rip off the dip and re-dip it. :D:D:D

Thanks for the info you gave.

The color is alright, just not sure if the matte surface would hold up to bugs etc.
Sure it looks good now in pristine condition - but if you ride it a 100 miles or more - then photo it and let us see it with bugs.
Would like to know how well it cleans up.

Then again maybe that's why you change colors so often. No need to clean your bike just rip off the dip and re-dip it. :D:D:D

Welcome. Yep the matte surface does very well against bugs, they wipe right off easier than they do on the paint. I think on the green dip thread, I made a video showing how easy or hard (since I didn't know at the time and someone asked) they come off with just a rag and water. They seem to wipe off easier on regular dip than they do when you have TopCoat on top. I've already put about 150 miles on it since last weekend, I can snap a picture of it if you'd like?

To be honest, I'll clean it may 2-3 times while it's dipped. I ride the bike 75% of the time compared driving the car unless it's raining when I leave my house so never stays clean very long. The only dip I never cleaned once was the light blue because I dipped it right before a 3 month turn around working 7-12's. Normally I wash it before dipping since I usually ride for a month or so in OEM colors, but this past time I just left it dirty, removed the Hypershift and re-dipped it.

Back