Will There Be A Gen 3 Busa?

Chango

Registered
I have been really busy these past few months. I put my busa away for the fall and winter and have not looked at bike stuff. I decided to take a peek in and I don't see Gen 3 discussion. Have folks given up on it or did Suzuki decide not to do it? Or is it just a quiet time for folks to wait and see?

I think it is equal parts people have given up and quiet time to wait and see... though there were 9 years between the Gen I and Gen II, so since this is the 9th year following the Gen II... who knows?

There is always rumors about an ongoing gen3 project, or a gen3 being a sure thing due to some euro regulations forcing changes to be able to comply, but who knows. Personally, I'm happy with my gen two and I'm also glad that new hayabusas don't come out as often as new iPhones do or I would be broke. :laugh:

My guys at Suzuki UK says there is a 'Project' at Suzuki for a ZZR1400 beater, but its not been named yet. It is going to get a GSXR tag, but no word if it will carry the 'Hayabusa' crown.

I'd like a Gen-3 and I think it could be do-able for Suzuki to use the bare bones on a multi bike range to make it more profitable. A replacement, plus a more tourer option plus a super-naked etc.

The danger is they will go like Honda who killed the Bird and gave a replacement no one wanted, or go like Yamaha and focus elsewhere.
Hopefully like Kawasaki they will just upgrade / update and improve.
It's worked for their long standing 750/1100/1000 GSXR range.

I'm not sure, as they have always had big brute naked in their range, GS1000 / 1135EFE / GSX1400 / B-King etc and they have nothing now other than a sensible 1250 Blandit.

I 3rd Gen to the Busa is something that Suzuki should capable of doing easily. For the last few years, manufacturers have been making bikes that are only fractions faster to the Bus and they have been either made with more CCs (ZX14R) or with a lot of technology like TC/anti-wheelie (S1000RR and R1). Meanwhile, the Busa has maintained it popular aftermarket base that allows owner to either keep up or leave friends in rearview mirrors.
I see it beings a simple task for Suzuki since All of the electronics are being tested and used with the 2017 GSXR1000. Now a minor redesign of the bodywork and a rebuild of the engine with a few more CCs and 220+hp and the "Crown" will be returned home where it belongs.

I feel that it is amazing how the Busa has gone this far with less power and it's heavier than most of the competition.

I feel that it is amazing how the Busa has gone this far with less power and it's heavier than most of the competition.

Even though its quite dated against some of the recent models,
it still sells on its reputation, and has a quite loyal / cult following.

The somewhat aged design still stands head and shoulders above the rest
for tuners and rev-heads. Domination at the drags, dyno's world wheelie comps etc etc feed the image that many folk see as being King of the Hill.
Out of the crate bikes aren't amazing but modded ones can rule their fields.

What brought me to the busa, besides the reputation, was the comfort. My 09 gsxr 600 was uncomfortable and vibration was bad at highway speeds. I remember smiling the whole way home for 45 mins as I enjoyed the "Cadillac feel" of the busa the day I bought it. It was a pretty good day!

image.jpeg
What brought me to the busa, besides the reputation, was the comfort. My 09 gsxr 600 was uncomfortable and vibration was bad at highway speeds. I remember smiling the whole way home for 45 mins as I enjoyed the "Cadillac feel" of the busa the day I bought it. It was a pretty good day!

Comfort is key to owning (and riding) longevity. Had a 999 Duc that was a beautiful and very serious motorcycle but I couldn't ride it more than a few hours w/o my hands/wrists/knees giving out. My 06 has over 64,000 miles through eleven states so far. Talking about the day you bought it, I flew to SoCal early on a Saturday morning, made the deal (the dealer paid for my flight) and rode it back north up the coast hiway, about 460 miles. It was a very great day! And eleven years later it will go anywhere and looks pretty good doing it.

I will always have a Generation 1... but eventually will have a two and three as well ... number 3 is coming it's just a matter of time. ..

View attachment 1571283

Comfort is key to owning (and riding) longevity. Had a 999 Duc that was a beautiful and very serious motorcycle but I couldn't ride it more than a few hours w/o my hands/wrists/knees giving out. My 06 has over 64,000 miles through eleven states so far. Talking about the day you bought it, I flew to SoCal early on a Saturday morning, made the deal (the dealer paid for my flight) and rode it back north up the coast hiway, about 460 miles. It was a very great day! And eleven years later it will go anywhere and looks pretty good doing it.
I want a 999 in the WORST way!!!

And eleven years later it will go anywhere and looks pretty good doing it.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. .. you and I have the best looking bikes ever... 06 S.E. = sexy

I'd like electronic cruise control and heated grips. I keep waiting for a Gen III too, though it'll be hard to top the II. These bikes are amazing!

I just think the time has past for these things. How is the ZX14 selling? H2 is a low run special bike. Besides, if Suzuki changes the Busa enough to make it really new (V4 or V6 engine, full electronics, updated looks) people won't see it as a Busa. Sort of a catch 22 for Suzuki. They might be better off to offer a dealer installed electronics upgrade for $3-4K with TC, Launch, ABS, wheelie, IMU or put out a new bike. That way people can move to the new bike or keep their mods an just add the electronics for a modern bike free of Euro4 regs. I always thought someone should offer Busa conversion kits. Make it a street racer, spout tourer, drag racer, etc. (I know the parts are already out there but it would be more like building a new car at the dealer).

I don't think suzuki will give up. Suzuki and kawasaki have been battling it out for a long time. I hope they come out with a gen 3 that's force induction. I do think the new gsxr is bad ass with the new motor. But only time will tell if it can hang with the gen 5 zx10r and the new r1. Oh and that stupid bmw s1000rr. Hopefully next year we see a new busa.

Back