Chatter Question

Jason75

Registered
Hey All,

New to the forum and there is likely other threads on this topic but I though maybe I could get some help with an unresolved issue.

I have a buddy's 99 in my garage. Issue is, whe I release the clutch about 2/3 of the way out the bike chatters and almost feels like the chain is skipping over the front sprocket but it's not. Once I get rolling it shifts through the gears fine. Goes into neutral fine, responsive on the throttle but as soon as I reach that point on the clutch it chatters. The chatter is pretty bad.

Took the clutch out and didn't find anything much wrong with it. Some wear and play in the cam set and a minor amount in clutch hub...

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

As Turbojonny said .. Even a small warp in the steel plates could cause this. How new is the clutch ? Or is it the original ?

Theres quite a few things that could cause this, ranging from cheap to very expensive to fix.

I've been getting what could be described as chain jumping or skipping on the front sprocket, like a bad judder, when releasing the clutch, my bike Is a 2001 ry and has over 40k on it and I've read that a worn out cushdrive can generate this result, mine only does it sometimes but it almost feels like the gears are trying to jump out of mesh, only noticed it in first, I've got some replacement cushdrive rubbers on the way, I'll post, once I've fitted them.

Thanks.

Question about cush drive rubbers. How much free play should be in there? I can grab the sprocket and move it back and forth quite a bit. I want to say 3/8 of an inch. Is that normal?

3/8 of an inch is excessive, that's like nearly 10mm, I'd check to see if they're missing lol.
There should be no movement between the cushdrive rubbers and rear sprocket hub, if in doubt call a bike shop and see what they say.
I've fitted my new ones but haven't had a chance for a good test, in the short run I've done, I haven't had my judder again, it feels more positive on pull away now, I posted a new thread about changing them.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your response. I just took them out and there is a lot of wear. Need a replacement for sure. Thanks again.

What they look like

50630487356__EA3771E1-EB0B-4F4D-8EE1-D2FEB496DE6A.JPG

As Dave said, you shouldn't be able to move them with arm force alone. Someone mentioned that the ones from an old GSX1100 are identical and are half the price of the Busa ones.

Back