Clutch Question

barkleyw

Registered
I have a built up 1999 hayabusa - am new to this. I keep burning clutch plates up - put in stiffer springs, brought the stack height up to 1.98-2 with wider steels and I still am slipping them.

couple questions - whats the greatest stack height I could go with and...

what would be the most economical clutch upgrade that I could use on street and strip.

Chinese clutch lever installed ? They are good at burning up clutches as they are improperly machined just ever so lightly applying pressure to slave cylinder causing slipping clutch . If its a ASV lever did you install the correct pad ?

Other issues dirty/bad slave cylinder not returning causing you to burn up the plates . Master can do the same . Have you replaced the OEM clutch line ? its 18 years old if not . The rubber at each end breaks down , and internally could have a partial blockage keeping pressure applied even after the lever is released .

Are you drag racing it now? If so, you might be causing your own problems there if you slip the clutch too long.

What oil are you using? I don't want to start another 20 page debate on the best oil, but there are some bad choices that can cause clutches to burn up.

Are you running proper oil, if you are not running the proper oil this could happen. The Busa has a wet clutch.

Use a stock suzuki clutch pack. You can find them on ebay for about $120. It will include steels, fibers, springs and even a cover gasket. Did you check for any warped steels? Is the stack installed correctly? I had a friend put his together wrong and it slipped

With a built motor, you're putting alil more horsepower to stock clutches. Ever thought about a stage 1 or stage 2 lock up??? It works on the street as well.

Back