Touring Tires

jermzfree

Registered
Does anybody know a way to get more than 5k on a rear tire while touring? Like switching out the rim for a longer lasting tire? I love everything about touring on a Busa except how fast the rear tire wears out. I talked with a Harley rider who was complaining she ONLY got 20k out of her rear tire. Boy was I jealous. Is there anyway to switch the rim for a tire that can last?? On road trips I could care less how well she turns lol.

Does anybody know a way to get more than 5,000 miles on a rear tire while touring ?

Like switching out the rim for a longer lasting tire ?

I love everything about touring on a Hayabusa except how fast the rear tire wears out .

I talked with a Harley rider who was complaining she ONLY got 20,000 miles out of her rear tire .

Boy was I jealous.

Is there anyway to switch the rim for a tire that can last ? ? ?

On road trips I could care less how well she turns lol.

hqdefault.jpg

Not trying to ask them to do more than they should ~ if you buy a higher number they'll last longer . . .

However, that also means that they will not stick nearly as well as the lower number tires !

What I've found out is that the 180 / 55 " HOOK - UP " works great for the drags.

I wouldn't ask that tire to perform well heading up to an Idyllwild ride !

The " ADVANCE " 005 would be my choice for curving roads .

The " APEX " 010 would last me a little bit longer.

Buy whatever you want to go ride with ?

I'm OK~ with a good Shinko.

Just my two cents here.

Red, *<(;{)-

Does anybody know a way to get more than 5k on a rear tire while touring? Like switching out the rim for a longer lasting tire? I love everything about touring on a Busa except how fast the rear tire wears out. I talked with a Harley rider who was complaining she ONLY got 20k out of her rear tire. Boy was I jealous. Is there anyway to switch the rim for a tire that can last?? On road trips I could care less how well she turns lol.
Depends on tyre brand ,maintaining right tyre pressure and set up including own weight. I run pilot road 4 GT's ,I'm getting on average around 27000kms on them, Metzler have just released an equivalent but have heard nothing yet on their life span

The best I ever got mileagewise was~7500 miles from the old avon Storms. But I hated just about everything else about them, they still had tread left when I replaced them! Running the new Metzeler o1's now and really like them (~3000 miles so far). My previous favorite set was a mix of Metzeler M3 front and Z6 rear. Those lasted around 6500 miles to the cords.

I just switched to the PR3, only have put about 1k miles on them so far.

I currently run Battlax and have so for a number of years. I usually get 5-5500k on road trips. The center of the tire just gets worn out quickly from highway miles. Last summer I tried a shinko and got 4500k but it was a dirt cheap tire so money well spent.

I currently run Battlax and have so for a number of years. I usually get 5-5500k on road trips. The center of the tire just gets worn out quickly from highway miles. Last summer I tried a shinko and got 4500k but it was a dirt cheap tire so money well spent.
Try the avon storms , I know there not the most loved tyre but for road trips would be a good choice for milage 10000+

It also depends on your wrist and speed on how long that tire lasts.
If my busa is my main transportation I'd buy the hardest compound tire made for longevity.
But I didn't buy the busa as a daily, more as a toy to race and have fun with.
It's hard to find the equal in a tire if you want it to hook, last mileage wise and lean with.
But I bought a pp3 tire and it had almost 5k miles with lots of tread left, I did a lot of wheelies and street racing with it.

I have been really happy with my Michelin Pilot Road 3's

I have about 8000 miles on them with plenty of tread left.

:thumbsup: I have those on my BMW S1Krr and really like them for a commuter tire. I drive a lot of interstate miles and kept wearing the center.

I tour exclusively on my Hayabusa. I'm on my second set of Michelin Pilot Road 2's. I got an easy 12000 miles on the first set.

Between this bike and my last bike, I've done 4 sets of PR2's. I'll keep buying them until they stop making them... at which point I'll switch to PR3's or PR4's.

Group Question. What Pressures do you guys run on your "Touring Tires" and what is your typical load-out (weight wise).

42/42 and ~325# (me, my gear and whatever luggage I might be toting).

I am running Road Pilot 4 GT, on the first set I've done about 9,000 miles (replaced due to large nail). Now I am on the second set and so far have done 8,000 miles and have 4mm left this will probably last for another 4,000 I hope. This included over 2,000 miles in French alps and the rest of it was commuting through city, also I am fairly heavy on the throttle.

Group Question. What Pressures do you guys run on your "Touring Tires" and what is your typical load-out (weight wise).

42/42 and ~325# (me, my gear and whatever luggage I might be toting).

:popcorn: 42/42 for me. 160lb rider and maybe 100lbs gear?

Back