Parts Falling Off Brand New Bike

MinnesotaGuy

Registered
So I've had my Busa for about seven weeks and I recently noticed the left grip end is missing... like, gone. It just fell right off the bike. The screw holding that thing on must have been loose. I called the dealership and explained my issue with parts falling off a brand new bike and asked if it was covered by the warranty. They said no, but they decided to ship me a replacement anyway because "parts shouldn't just fall off a bike". They did good by me and I'm happy about it.

Now comes my question; does anyone have experience putting that thing back on? The one on my right handle looks like it has a screw with a smooth head on it, no place to fit a screwdriver to set it. How should I go about fastening the replacement grip end so it does not come off again? I don't feel I'll be able to get it tight in there and I don't trust some Loctite to hold it indefinitely. I suppose I could go to the hardware store and find a similar screw with a slotted or Philips head, but I thought I'd check with your guys first.

Suggestions?

If the dealer ships you everything,
You will get , the bar end, screw, and a plastic cap.
The screw needs a 5mm allen wrench, and there is one in the tools bag under the seat!

You'd be shocked how often bar end weights fall off bikes. For something that's designed to dampen vibrations, it sure is affected by them!

We replace missing weights constantly at the shop, the DRZ400 being the most common bike to shed them.

Loctite the new one in and it should stay put. Do the other side while you're at it! :thumbsup:

Haha yea man, mine almost came off around 300 miles until i saw it moving around one morning on riding somewhere. Rode it home and loctite them bad boys up, no more problems!

You'd be shocked how often bar end weights fall off bikes. For something that's designed to dampen vibrations, it sure is affected by them!

We replace missing weights constantly at the shop, the DRZ400 being the most common bike to shed them.

Loctite the new one in and it should stay put. Do the other side while you're at it! :thumbsup:

Jesus. Frankly I didn't know what they were used for. My cruisers don't have them, so I really never knew what they were all about. Now that I think about it, my kid's CBR500R has them too. Are these bar end weights a sport bike thing? I'm embarrassed to mention how long I've been riding without even even knowing about these things.

I hope there was no one behind you when you lost it and I'm glad it didn't your knee cap or something. That would hurt like hell!!! Lol!! Those little things are pretty heavy for their size. I go crazy with blue loctite on all those smaller items.

Vibration damper. In theory.

That's funny. One of my bikes has a big-ass V-Twin mounted directly to the frame. No rubber mounts, nothing. I could use a little vibration dampening for that bike. I don't even get on that thing unless my bladder is totally empty.

That's funny. One of my bikes has a big-ass V-Twin mounted directly to the frame. No rubber mounts, nothing. I could use a little vibration dampening for that bike. I don't even get on that thing unless my bladder is totally empty.

They're for damping out high frequency vibrations, the kind that make your hands tingle and go numb on longer rides. Big twins tend to not need them since they broadcast lower frequency vibes to the rider.

Hey MinnesotaGuy, you mind not using Jesus' name like that? I'm not offended, it's just that Jesus has changed me so radically that I can't help but stand for Him. Your decision, just thought I'd ask.

That escalated quickly!

I know. It feels weird now. Luckily I think 13013 is wicked cool, he was great to me when I first got here, and ever since. I'll try to honor his request, but no promises. I tend to have a colorful vocabulary so I may let a "Jesus" slip here and there without thinking about it. If it matters to 13013, then it's important to me because I list you guys as my friends at this point, and I treat my friends with respect.

Back