AEM Wideband Failsafe Gauge not waterproof

I don't think mine is reading right or something. Plugs look ok, thing says pig rich. Supposedly hit 9.5 in boost but it wasn't bogging out which I would think it would. good time thing. I guess you need to have the AMS on and activated and you cant nail it with just the spring or the microtech jumps with the erratic boost level. 4psi spring but its like 5 or 6 n poop. I remember seeing that on the dyno. Microtech just isn't that good or fast to pull from the table it needs to or some poop.

I personally am absolutely ready for that Rob. I am financially probably about a year minimum from that. OZ, the AEM failsafe is self calibrating, unlike others which you can calibrate to free air. Supposedly if it goes to "18" when you turn the key on, you are good to go. I am not that confident but I have half a day today to wrench on it which is more than I have had in a while.

Kevin, air is about 20% oxgen. My innovate wideband display reads exactly that with the key on and the sensor heated. If you're seeing 18% in free air, I'd be suspect of that.

I did an analog voltage output test just now. According to the spreadsheet, its almost spot on to the display. I even tried an extra sensor I forgot I had and got the same readings. Gauge is on. Its me that isn't. Operator error.

I did an analog voltage output test just now. According to the spreadsheet, its almost spot on to the display. I even tried an extra sensor I forgot I had and got the same readings. Gauge is on. Its me that isn't. Operator error.
What kind of error?
did you fixed the problem?

I spoke to an AEM guy. There is a small chance that the analog voltage is incorrect coming from the gauge which I will be able to verify by comparing to a dyno sniffer. Plenty of world famous v twin tuners in this town, not one sportbike tuner but I can just stuff a sniffer rod in the downtube with my wideband still hooked up to check that. If it is off, I would be surprised. But nobody else seems to have had one innacurate. Too bad there isn't a calibration ability on it.

I spoke to an AEM guy. There is a small chance that the analog voltage is incorrect coming from the gauge which I will be able to verify by comparing to a dyno sniffer. Plenty of world famous v twin tuners in this town, not one sportbike tuner but I can just stuff a sniffer rod in the downtube with my wideband still hooked up to check that. If it is off, I would be surprised. But nobody else seems to have had one innacurate. Too bad there isn't a calibration ability on it.
Can't they fix it?
After all it is an expensive gauge.
One thing i noticed with my gauge is that it needs a very good ground connection near the battery negative pole and also that the voltage outputs (both pressure and AFR ) have a floating ground that also needs to be grounded near the battery otherwise the voltage output is totally wrong.

I spoke with a "tech" who walked me through the sensor and pressure test but he recommended sending unit back for warranty exchange. The 12v pin actually was not secured in the harness which I hadn't seen until testing the unit. I showed him a datalog and the rpm was reading erratic as well as the AFR. But you are absolutely right, he should have recommended that and I thought about trying it but I didn't want to do something out of his instruction at that point.

I spoke with a "tech" who walked me through the sensor and pressure test but he recommended sending unit back for warranty exchange.
Great news!
You did well not to go against his line of reasoning, replacing the whole unit is the best choice by far.
Mine works fine for more than 1 and a half years, the only problem i had was 3 cut wires due to bad installation of the wire loom by my mechanic (it needed more slack).

I spoke to an AEM guy. Plenty of world famous v twin tuners in this town, not one sportbike tuner but I can just stuff a sniffer rod in the downtube with my wideband still hooked up to check that.
Than your do not have any tuners.If you can tune a motor you can tune a motor does not matter what it is.
I tune everything will GREAT RESULTS.

You are right. But there are tuners with reputations that do not deserve them, we all know that.

Edited: I am not going to badmouth anybody anymore. This is a unique business and unlike the car scene that I came from. But I would never have had to pay someone to teach me how to set up a clutch I spent $2k on.

Last edited:
Back