Redneck Magnet?

MinnesotaGuy

Registered
Okay, so I'm doing my best to get my new bike out of the "break-in" zone by tooling around some nice country roads in western Wisconsin that are lightly traveled so I don't have to deal with too many other vehicles as I learn about my new ride. Just today I ran into what I can only think of as a couple of idiots - both driving pickup trucks. Here's my story: After I go through some twisties, I decide to turn around to go back through them - there is a pickup truck pretty far down the road, which is all straight highway at this point (which is why I'm turning around); I'd say about a half mile away coming toward me. Naturally I make my U turn and head back, pickup behind me but now we're going in the same direction. I'm not pushing the bike at all at this time, but I am doing the curves about 15 - 20 over the posted speed - just getting a feel for the bike.

Now that the stage is set - here comes the fun. This guy in his pickup obviously thinks he's piloting the amazing space shuttle because in a matter of about two minutes he is on my ass like a horny dog on aunt Betty's leg at the family picnic. I can tell he's just angry about something - I could tell by his aggressive driving, but there was really nothing around to make anyone angry about anything. "Okay" I think, "I'll let him pass so I can focus on my ride". I actually pull over and let him go - there was a white van about a half-mile ahead anyway and I wanted to make some room for me to zip along without worrying about pulling behind anyone. I wait a couple of minutes on the side of the road and re-engage my journey. About a mile later, this sugar in the pickup has pulled over, so I zip by and don't think anything of it until a few minutes later when he's coming up on my ass at crazy pace - again. Hmmm... Seems like he wants to play. For the first time, I roll on the throttle a bit quicker than usual and find fifth gear (up to that moment, I haven't had to use that gear). Then I see some nice curves ahead and decided to really see how much fun this thing is (within my limits) - I slow it down a bit and hit the curves and come out with more throttle than I thought I should - just as I come into a small town, so now I have to slow it down - at this point I look back and I see pickup-boy about a mile back and coming in fast and hot. I didn't care, I made my point. I'm heading home. He must not have seen which way I turned when I got into town, so he didn't follow.

Within five minutes, I have a different pickup truck tailgating me. WTF is going on? Do these bikes attract morons in pickup trucks or what? I didn't even play with this guy, I give it some gas (within the break-in rules of course) and I can hear his pipes and see the black smoke from his diesel engine belch out his stacks in my rearview mirror - Jesus, that truck actually has some snot (once it gets passed the hesitation you get from a diesel), anyway, he backed off pretty quickly as I gently rolled on the gas and was able to move away from him with obvious ease.

I mean, I run into morons on the highway all the time - but this was a different experience for me. Does this happen a lot? I was challenged by these clowns even when I wasn't interested in playing tag with them. The bike handled them fine, with remarkably little effort, but it was strange enough to me to present this story to you guys. Was it just a freak thing or do I need to expect this when I go riding?

Last edited:
Did you hear banjo music while this was happening? If so, pin it and don't stop. There are morons everywhere. If there is no banjo music, best to pull off and let the idiots go by or take a side road and get away from them.

This kind of stuff does piss me off but to be honest most of the time you would have to be breaking the sound barrier to catch me in a truck on a backroad. But the Busa is a legend and it attracts all sorts from the "wow that's a busa" crowd to the "here's my chance to prove my manhood". You won't believe how many times I have let a kid twist the throttle and here the beast roar. Just the price of wrapping your legs around a bike like the Hayabusa. If I'm honest, I would yell "Buuuuusssaaaaaaa" whenever I would see one before I got mine. My wife got so sick of this I think it's why she let me get one!

Did you hear banjo music while this was happening? If so, pin it and don't stop. There are morons everywhere. If there is no banjo music, best to pull off and let the idiots go by or take a side road and get away from them.

LOL! Well, now that I think about it, the scenery was actually very similar to what you saw in Deliverance. I didn't hear the music, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. Jesus, I had better re-think where I'm finding road time. I actually wonder if the guy simply hated motorcycles and bikers in general, or had a special hate for sport bikes or something. But then again, I AM riding a 'Busa', so eff 'em if they can't see a guy out for a ride without throwing a hissy-fit. I mean, I thought I was being pretty responsible by letting him pass so he could get to wherever the hell he was going and so I could simply enjoy the bike without traffic - I wasn't in the mood to play tag with this idiot.

You won't get that every ride, but you will get it way more than you get on your Indian. I get something like that once every couple of weeks. Usually kids that I ignore, but every once in a while I will have an adult that wants to play in an appropriate area and that is fun.:D

On the way home from the dealership, it was rush hour traffic - no chance to go fast enough to use the higher gears. After that, I found that fourth gear will get me to work and back and stay under 5500 rpm. I did find some freeway time since this happened (where I could go faster), and I did use the top gears then, but up to that point I haven't because I didn't want to bog down the motor. This comes from being a cruiser rider for so long - too high a gear for the speed is a bad thing, the big, heavy cruisers can't handle it.

haaa... I live in Cali so there are all kinds of guys in burner cars trying to test the size of their balls, when they see the bike. I get a lot of Nice bike man at gas stations, from the other riders, even non riders, and some cruzer guys ask "how the hell you hand onto that thing".
you will just have to get use to the attention. Guys like that, you just blast them and forget em. They will go home and tell their buddies the fish tale, of how they saw the elusive busa, flying down the road, 140mph and they almost caught it... :cool: puts a smile on my face every time.

I've only had one encounter from another driver....my bro in law....flapping his gums about his 110 ci stroked chopper. Blah blah blah...He gave all kinds of mis-info to a clan of riders we were out with. Fortunately they were obviously smarter than him.. anyway from a light with my wife on the back we hit it...long story short I was already fueling up when he and the others showed up to the gas station.

Had a guy just yesterday pass me on one wheel. After he got by he settled down..

So yes the do attract all sorts from the busa's can't corner crowd to the idiots with something to prove (even though you don't care). And can't for forget the story tellers. Every once in a while you can find a genuine bike loves.

You will get use to it. Head shaking too.

I know you are breaking it in so when you are done and idiots mess with you ....11000 rpm usually does the trick quik... I don't goose it to prove a point most of the time but rather to remove myself from people

I know you are breaking it in so when you are done and idiots mess with you ....11000 rpm usually does the trick quik... I don't goose it to prove a point most of the time but rather to remove myself from people

Yep. I just did my 600 mile maintenance - so now I can go up to 8000 rpm and frankly, that's getting some good snot out of the bike right there. So I think you have it nailed down fairly well, Captain; you and I share philosophies about getting away from dangerous people.

That said, I'm happy to report that my first time taking off the cowling was as much of a bitch as the rest of you seem to have had. I was delighted to read the thread about it in the Do-It-Yourself section and learn that I wasn't alone. I'm moderately functional when it comes to working on my own machines, but I also know where to draw the line - it took me about four hours for that first oil change, chain maintenance, and exhaust bolt re-torque... Three and a-half of those hours was spent removing the cowling as carefully as possible. I mean, it IS a brand new bike after all, and the learning curve was steep.

Last edited:
Back