R1 Wheel Swap Or?

89mustang

Registered
has anyone on here done the r1 wheel swap. Was it worth it weight wise? I know it's about the cheapest you can go minus gsxr 1000 wheels. Or do I have to pony up for marvics or carrozeria(sp) wheels? I know it's a pain with the spacers and finding someone to do the axles.

My buddy did the rear aleady. That was pretty easy. We did put a small spacer on one side. I don't remember the details but it was easy to figure out. He hasn't dived into the front one yet so I don't have any knowledge there. He does plan to have an axle made.

Some people say you dont save much. Others act like its the best mod you can do. If it only saves a pound or 2 then might as well put the money somewhere else or buy wheels like you've got. I can't spell it for the life of me.

Just put a set of OZ Piega wheels on mine, Motowheels has them for 2K. Stock rear wheel weighed on my scale 17.8 pounds, and the OZ rear was 14.9 pounds. Those were both rotor less and sprocket carrier less. The front wheel was 1.9 pounds lighter. My scale is probably off, but I weighed them multiple times, and if it was off, it was consistently off.

I should've worded that better. I meant is it worth going through getting an axle made and spacing everything out. Or just buy wheels Made for a busa already

Only you can answer that question.... I've done the R1 wheel mod and @ the time I was able to find a set of R1 rims cheap and a well known guy on PsychoBike who made the front axle kit. I hated the look of the stock Busa rims. I was able to get the rims, bearings,axle,rotors, sprockets, and tires for well below the price it would have cost to just buy a set of aftermarket rims like Carrozzerria or OZ. So for me it was worth it but for someone else they may just want to skip all the hassle and research and buy aftermarket if they have the coin to spare

Last edited:
Do you know how much weight was lost swapping them? I know you have to follow through with lighter/cut rotors and ceramic bearings. I love the r1 wheels. They look good on a busa!

I guess what I was getting at was if there was a enough of a weight savings(5-6lbs) it would be worth it to me. If not i would just wait until next winter and pony up some $$$ and get aftermarket

Thank you for your help on the subject I appreciate it! I'm just like everyone one else trying to do more with less

Google the Hayabusa R1 wheels swap. There's a couple threads I think on PsychoBike that list the weight for each rim Busa,Gsxr, and R1. Can't remember the exact amount so I'm not gonna blow smoke up ur azz. It's a couple pounds. But remember you can shave more off with lightweight rotors, aluminum sprocket, ti bolts, etc.

Every little helps..... I no longer have the stock R1 rims on my Busa. The last time I weighed it with them on my Busa weighed 510lbs. That's with a full tank of gas and 2lb bottle of Nitrous. I've since upgraded to BST's and EBK light weight rotors front & rear and a few other things so I'm Sub 500lbs. Not bad IMO for a 200+HP street legal bike

I appreciate any and all help!

That's not a bad weight at all for these bikes. I've read a few guys that have them down to the 430-450 range.

I know its not going to be the weight savings of an aftermarket rim. Looking to do a few things to shave the weight off. Just to help me out a bit. I'm 185 suited I probably could lose 5-10 myself.

I have the R1 wheels. I weighed everything including cush, wheels, rotors, all together it was just under 5lbs. I sold my busa wheels for what I paid for the R1 wheels, so I'll consider it a free mod and looks way better!

I have the R1 wheels. I weighed everything including cush, wheels, rotors, all together it was just under 5lbs. I sold my busa wheels for what I paid for the R1 wheels, so I'll consider it a free mod and looks way better!

Any pics?

Doubt that helps. lol That's the current condition.

10441473_10152136078517231_92592185089749777_n.jpg

I love the look of the R1 wheels but I'd be scared to death rolling down the road at a buck eighty on some redneck axles lol. My life is worth the extra thousand bucks or so to get wheels actually made for my bike. People won't think twice about plunking down 1,500 for an exhaust but 2k for wheels and they freak out. :D

I been thinking about doing the r1 wheels. Only if I can find someone that has a direct bolt up. So I don't have to piece stuff together. But I also heard the front axle is heavy. So you have to find someone to lighten that up. My bike weighed 460 but should be down in the 440 range now. I haven't gone crazy on weight savings stuff yet. But wheels are my next on weight loss list.

Back