Tires and Brakes

I HATED the road 3 front. Had 2 of them, both sucked. Put pilot power 3 on the front to go along with the road 3 rear and liked the combo. The road 3 fronts just didn't wear good for me and when half wore out they handle really bad, scary really. Went with the road 4s this go around, we will see. And by the way, See ya at the BASH! :D

I run pilot road 4 gt's on my bike. I have zero complaints. They just grip, I rode in rain tonight and they just did what they were supposed to. If I really try, I can light up the rear and do a burnout or pull a wheelie, whatever it feels like doing depending on tire temperature. The tires slip when I expect them to, never when I dont expect them to. Braking hard in the rain, no problem, keeping up with an r1 on twisties? No problem.

I do some pretty dumb crap on my bike. I ride with a group of supermotos and I go just about everywhere they go. Dirt, small jumps, grass, whatever. Granted, I've only rolled on pilot roadsz but I see no reason to change, they're spendy, but they are your life line, don't go cheap!

Moral of the story, I ride in everything, every terrain, every speed, every temp, the Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT's are the tire to buy.

I'm thinking I spent about a hundred dollars more than I would have on the cheapest tire available, but I'm also getting three times the mileage out of these tires , not to mention I only have to change my tires once a year :thumbsup:

Todays installment

IMG_20150402_185242_613[1].jpg

IMG_20150402_173307_563[2].jpg

How many miles on that worn out front?

I'm really liking my pilot road 3's. It still seems odd being 4000 miles into a set of tires and having lots of tread left.

For those that care, easy peezy, loosen axle clamp bolts on brake side, loosen axle nut, loosen clutch side axle clamp bolts, continue to loosen axle nut, and as you do tap it in gently forcing the axle out the clutch side. Completely remove axle nut. Remove the two bolts that hold the calipers in place. Slide the calipers off the rotors. Carefully remove the axle. I place my front stand on two 2 X 4s. This allows the clearance needed to remove the front wheel without removing the front fender Taking a large straight blade screwdriver push the old pads apart pressing the brake pistons back into the caliper. The front brake calipers have two allen guide pins; remove them. Brake pads should slide out. Remove metal pieces on the outside and place them on new pads. Place new pads in caliper and install guide pins.

If all you're doing are the brakes it is not necessary to remove the front wheel.

How many miles on that worn out front?

I'm really liking my pilot road 3's. It still seems odd being 4000 miles into a set of tires and having lots of tread left.

15K on the front and back tires. The bike has 60400 miles on it. This will help me keep up with this set.

Not too many years ago I would have ran a set of tires until I saw signs of a belt, but with the mileage I'm getting I just went ahead and changed them getting ready for the Bash. I have no idea how many more miles I could have got out of these obviously worn tires.

15K on the front and back tires. The bike has 60400 miles on it. This will help me keep up with this set.

Not too many years ago I would have ran a set of tires until I saw signs of a belt, but with the mileage I'm getting I just went ahead and changed them getting ready for the Bash. I have no idea how many more miles I could have got out of these obviously worn tires.
:thumbsup:
If I can get 15,000 out of these that would be almost 4 times the mileage I got out of the previous pilot power's.

It's only January 3rd and I'm closing in on 13K miles. Noticed the rear tire was looking worn tonight. Too much slab time :laugh: I don't know if I'll get 2K miles out of these tires but we will see. Will probably order tires by Feb.

Well, I went for it. Tires will be in 02-03-2016. We will see how long that rear holds up. It would be easy to do a rolling burn out without trying right now. Still looking at rubber though.

Back