THE MUST DO KICK STAND MOD!

Re: THE MUST DO KICK STAND MOD!

LoL.. Finally did this. Sure has some angle to her now. Thanks again!

Wuggz are you seriously trying to put an sv650 stand on a hayabusa? Please, for the bikes sake, don't do that. That stand is so thin, it is made to hold a much smaller, also taller bike.:banghead:

May172014089_zpsaa9a6666.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]I just bought my first Busa. Besides tuning it up the first thing I did was the side stand mod...thank you very much great advice. I didn't take off too much just enough to get the stand over center.

Bump for the Newbs!

I just completed mine this past weekend.

On a related note; How much lean is optimal? My bike obviously leans a little harder after doing this mod. I'm still at factory ride height and have no plans to lower the bike. I 'm pretty handy with a welder and can easily add a little material to the underside of the kickstand if having the bike sit upright a little more is in my best interest. Thoughts?

20150503_130058-1_zpshie5yrtx.jpg

This is for the NEWBIES! *When parked and on the side stand, Your busa WILL fall on it's left side while your looking at it. *You will say, no not me, I leave it in gear, I push it farward, etc etc etc.. *The nature of the beast with the flaw in the side stand your bike is going to fall. *With that someone (dont know who) came up with this mod.

Take a dremel or grinder and make a small grind in the face of the kickstand to allow it to travel forward more. *This slightly changes the lean angle and puts more ummph oh the side stand. *In turn this prevents the dredded fall over.

YOU ARE GRINDING THE KICKSTAND ON BOTH SIDES, NOT THE STOP PLATES ON THE "MOUNT"!

"HOW MUCH DO I REMOVE?" Anywhere from ½ the thickness of the "stop" plates to the thickness of the stop plates as seen in yellow is more than enuff. Much more you might lessen the integrity of the stand itself but I doubt it. Little by little, and try fit it!

<!--EDIT|ICEMANN
Reason for Edit: None given...|1120404705 -->
Many thanks for sharing this modification. I have had two recent scares where my bike has began to topple off its side stand & just stopped it in time. Carried out the modification last night with great success. Cannot believe how much more stable the bike has become.Surely this should be considered a vehicle recall by Suzuki as i have never experienced this with any other bike before. Looking forward to your comments. Regards

Did anyone not stop to realize modifying this particular part will eventually weaken the metal? It may lean further onto the stand but it's also putting more pressure on the cut area of the stand, but by all means if you feel you are smarter than a japanese engineer then go ahead!

Did anyone not stop to realize modifying this particular part will eventually weaken the metal? It may lean further onto the stand but it's also putting more pressure on the cut area of the stand, but by all means if you feel you are smarter than a japanese engineer then go ahead!
You don't take enough metal off to weaken it -- if you were to compare 'modified' versus stock it would be very clear IMHO that it hasn't been weakened. Also, regarding the "Japanese Engineer' -- try to keep in mind that a Japanese engineer was responsible for the design flaw that allowed the kickstand to roll forward with the bike and cause it to fall over. So they clearly aren't above making an error once in a while.

Last edited by a moderator:

I learned my lesson and don't take chances anymore bro,I mostly always leave it in gear now when I shut it off(except for in my driveway when warming it up,then it's sloping rearward).:laugh:

I wish I would became a member of this forum about 3 weeks ago:banghead: I had my busa for about 4 days before it fell over while opening the garage door. I wanted to :cry:

Thank you OP for this. I saw this mod even before I owned a Busa.
For those out there that do not want to do this mod or believe they are the only ones who know how to park a motorcycle, this is great info just to know that others have had an issue with the way these bikes stand. I know after reading this post I was a lot more diligent in my parking habits with any bike.

I have a 2014 Busa and I decided to take a little off the stand just to be safe. I can see how if your not parked in the ideal situation it could be an issue. Not sure I did enough but if I don't feel it is I'll do a little more.

Measure twice cut once!

In my case I used my rear stand...removed the kickstand... Sat in my recliner with a small file and scrapped away while watching TV (barnwood builders) people used to build stuff with the simplest of tools. If you don't have access to a dremel or grinder it can be done with a little elbow grease and a small file. If you do have a power tool I bet you could do it on the bike with someone holding it for you while you grid away.

I've seen some guys take a bunch off but with mine I didn't get crazy (probably because I did by hand). At the end of the stand (part that hits the ground) I would say it moved 1/2" forward. Again might not be enough yet.

I have also added a R&G foot to her to give it a little more of a footprint. It was a little pricey but I hate dropping a stand block on the ground and screwing around trying to get it on it and picking it up afterwords. I would inevitably forget it.

Anyway whether or not you decide to do this mod just knowing that a lot of people feel the stand has issues should keep the thought of your bike on the ground in your mind and make sure you do all those little things to keep her up!

Back