My Busa Overhaul

@ the end of the day it's your $$$ and bike. Gen1 fans and Gen2 fans are different, I wanted 2 do it rite the 1st time and be done with it. Got a gen2 rad and oil cooler off ebay 4 a good price and got the rest off a couple race sites like Schnitz and star racing. Didn't want 2 have any compatibility issues so I swapped the whole thing out

I hope I didn't offend you, or have you think what you did isn't the right way. There's different ways to get around cooling issues on these bikes. While a gutted thermostat isn't a good option for someone in the Midwest, it is down south here. We have 2 temps, hot and hotter. It just doesn't get cool enough. Being matts in New Mexico, he could benefit and save a bunch of money, and it will work as good.

On the flip side I'd suggest a set up simular to yours, 1busa, for people in the northern reigions as the temps swing more dirastically day to day, and a thermostat is needed to regulate engine temp.

It's anecdotal but my Gen II fan(s) seem to never run, except it traffic jams caused by wrecks, etc. I think my '08 runs cooler than my '06 did and it absolutely can handle the traffic jams and my '06 couldn't.

I hope I didn't offend you, or have you think what you did isn't the right way. There's different ways to get around cooling issues on these bikes. While a gutted thermostat isn't a good option for someone in the Midwest, it is down south here. We have 2 temps, hot and hotter. It just doesn't get cool enough. Being matts in New Mexico, he could benefit and save a bunch of money, and it will work as good.

On the flip side I'd suggest a set up simular to yours, 1busa, for people in the northern reigions as the temps swing more dirastically day to day, and a thermostat is needed to regulate engine temp.

Hey no offense taken at all, you've always been eager to provide feedback and knowledge to those in need. I only commented on my experience and limited knowledge. I never said that its my way or the highway :laugh: I was just trying to give him some feedback on what worked for me and my experience with that particular setup. That's the great thing about modding and dealing with busas, there's so much info and different ideas towards improving your bike that you have the ability to pick and choose what would or wouldn't work for you based on $$$ or capabilities.

If I was him I would listen to you too.......:beerchug:

Well, to all of the responders, the Gen I radiator doesn't have mounts for two fans (I didn't think it would but it was worth a shot). I think I'm going to ditch the thermostat and go with Rob's idea of switching the sensor with RCC's mod. That should keep her cool enough. Right?

I remember hearing the gen 2 rads cooled better years ago, but I never seen any official test to confirm that. I think where they benefit is they have 2 fans that were made to fit on the radiator, so that's where they are picking up the gains from. Gen 2 cores are also a little thinner, so that further backs up my thoughts.

The fan temp switch relocator is a good idea. It turns the fan on sooner, and stays on longer. Those have been a hot item, and I sold my last one 2 weeks ago. However, I can get you one if you would like, and save you a few bucks directly from RCC.

I currently run a stock gen 1 rad, with temp switch relocated and a single fan with a muzzy blade on my turbo bike. I also have a a heat exchanger blocking half of my radiator. In 110 degree Texas heat it doesn't overheat. How? I gutted my thermostat. I do this on bikes that stay in the southern states. It just a takes a little longer to warm up, but it stays way cooler. And it's cheaper then radiators, special coolant, more fans ect.

Matt, I'll return your call in a bit, been another crazy day my friend.

@ the end of the day it's your $$$ and bike. Gen1 fans and Gen2 fans are different, I wanted 2 do it rite the 1st time and be done with it. Got a gen2 rad and oil cooler off ebay 4 a good price and got the rest off a couple race sites like Schnitz and star racing. Didn't want 2 have any compatibility issues so I swapped the whole thing out

It's anecdotal but my Gen II fan(s) seem to never run, except it traffic jams caused by wrecks, etc. I think my '08 runs cooler than my '06 did and it absolutely can handle the traffic jams and my '06 couldn't.

So, just for gits and shiggles, how hard is it to go from Gen I to Gen II radiator?

So, just for gits and shiggles, how hard is it to go from Gen I to Gen II radiator?

It's not a direct bolt-on and the upper radiator tube is on the outside on the Gen I where the Gen II is on the inside. Yes the radiator is thinner by about 1/8" or so. I got one to use when I had an intercooler to use for the turbo setup I had to give as much clearance possible.

It would be easier to just add an additional GSXR 1k fan to your exisiting radiator. I use the Honda fan switch in the relocator kit for one fan and the stock switch for the other fan. Honda switch comes on first and does what it needs to do. The other fan has never come on since doing this as it never gets hot enough......yet I haven't ridden in traffic at 100' weather yet but I am sure it will come on if needed to.

I'm still kinda up in the air about the Gen II radiator mod but I figure, I've got it this much done with this much money in it, would it kill me to mod it out for cooling? I don't know, I'll put more thought into it later. For now I'm still concerning myself with the engine, fuel system, nitrous system, and dyno along with misc gauges and stuff. Once the engine is installed, fuel system is installed, nitrous is installed, I'll do the cooling portion.

The one thing I have yet to do though is find that elusive Gen II ass-end that is in my price range. Don't care what color, just need it to be complete with plastics, subframe, and the black tray inside along with a Gen II seat to fit.

:cheerleader:Got bored and disassembled my handlebars. Then I painted them. Then I re installed them. I think its a nice touch. 4 days till I order a ton of parts and get her DONZIES!:cheerleader:

20140208_140148.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Decided to do the same touch to the triple since I'm getting the skeleton clamp. Should make it look good and tie the flight deck together nicely

20140209_173205.jpg

So here are the parts I've gotten so far from online retailers and org members. Thanks for all that helped so far!!

20140218_191543.jpg

20140218_191816.jpg

20140218_191438.jpg

20140218_191446.jpg

20140218_191451.jpg

20140218_191458.jpg

20140218_191503.jpg

20140218_191616.jpg

20140218_191653.jpg

20140218_191701.jpg

20140218_191528.jpg

20140218_191606.jpg

20140218_191723-HEARTS.gif

20140218_191837.jpg

20140218_191513.jpg

20140218_191523.jpg

I decided to mount the 24v kit battery and wiring a little different but it will work hopefully. The pics are:

Brake line
fan
3-7 is 24v kit
Brock's Alienhead full exhaust
New Tires
Chain
My Helper
Triple Clamp
Cut and Spliced injector wires
and new injectors

Back