MC Mustang's retirement from the Marine Corps, PCola, Fl. on 2 Aug

Shawn,

I would love to attend however I cant make it. I'm sorry I waited until basically the last minute but I was hoping I could swing it. Just not going to happen this time.

Semi, Juli, and I are in Charleston headed your way. Leave a light on for us, be pulling in Thursday night.

Sent from my Ford F-150 using Forum Runner

We'll be in Thursday evening as well. Since you made the reservation Shawn...I think you know where we'll be!

Wish I could be there for ya, brotha! Heading across the water for a few weeks. It's a tremendous accomplishment and you need to take full advantage. This retirement will only happen once.

Omar and I are on the road...likely stopping in SC tonight, then to FL tomorrow... :)

via Samsung Galaxy SIII

Made it to High Point, NC. Probably another 10 hrs to go.

We both worked all day on Wednesday...drove as long as we could before needing sleep :)

On the road again...

via Samsung Galaxy SIII

Why so serious? LOL

Sent from my Ford F-150 using Forum Runner

Congratulations Shawn and thank you for your years of service to our great nation. Semper Fi

What is a Marine Mustang?
The Answer is:

Any Marine, after having served on active duty in the enlisted ranks of the United States Marine Corps or Marine Corps Reserve, has risen to the officer ranks, and further served as a commissioned or warrant officer on either active duty or reserve status. The title includes all such Marines: active duty, reserve, retired, and/or honorably discharge.

The title of a Marine of this status is, and shall evermore be...MUSTANG!

"There is no honor greater than to be called "Mustang". You have long epitomized the warrior virtues of courage, devotion to duty, sacrifice, and imaginative leadership."

General Alfred M. Gray USMC, 29th Commandant of the Marine Corps and a Mustang.

Semper Fidelis – Marines

This is what I posted to Shawn's FB page this morning:

Today is your big day Shawn Hughes. I'm sorry I'm not there due to other military committments, but I wanted to leave you an observation from someone who has preceeded you into military retirement:

- It is not the UNIFORM that makes the MAN; it is the MAN that makes the UNIFORM. The uniform, all bright and shiny with ribbons and badges, is merely the trappings of the MAN that wore it and EARNED those trappings. The uniform didn't sweat, suffer, cry or bleed, the MAN did. While you may put the uniform away, that does not change YOU one bit. The sound of Reveille, Taps, The Star Spangled Banner, the Marine Corps Hymn; all these hold and stir special place in you and beat in the heart of a Warrior, who wrote that blank check paid to the United States of America, for the amount of "up to my life" - and that never changes regardless of your status. You share a bond that many will never know or understand, that "look" that those who have served that can spot another in a crowded room. You stand in a long line - that brotherhood that bonds you with those that have come before you, and will come after you.

I salute you sir, and welcome you to the ranks of the "Retired, but never really gone"...You may stand down, someone else has taken the watch...

AND, to everyone's (but Shawn's) surprise, a PROPOSAL....:)

Back