My Busa Overhaul

Moving sucks and i just did it.
I moved Jen From VA to NH, lease signed and moved in within 7 days, over 1100 miles.

I ordered all my parts from APE anout 3 weeks ago, now just waiting on them to get here.

As far as the crank goes between a gen 1 and gen 2 your talking about a 2 millimeter longer stroke in standard sizes thats less than an 1/16" thats for the 1441, your 1551 kit has the same crank but the journals are ground to give you I think an additional 2 millimeters. So side by side you could see a difference but just looking at it no you can't tell. The fluted mains are what APE does the Gen 2 (to my knowledge) does not come factory like that.

I had to order the seals and head gasket separate from APE too the 1397 with a gen 2 crank does not come with any seals, gaskets or bearings other than the piston rings. Its an extra $200 for all the seals and gaskets. You have to order the main bearings yourself from suzuki based on your crank and casing specs they are about $9 each you need a top and bottom, I would have to count I think it has 8 or 10 so another $200 for mains.

If you order cams from APE I think I read the gears are already installed, you may want to check into the, because if M/T just ordered them from APE for you they should have them.

I think he's going to find the information you just posted very informative indeed KvHotDog4 so thanks for sharing!

I hope his luck changes for the better very soon because I know he's gonna feel heaps better once the busa is back together and he gets the chance to let a little (more like a lot ...) of steam off from all the frustration.

I suggest a BUMP for some good luck .......:thumbsup:

So, my luck changed for the better a lil bit. I got a check in the mail for $300, I bought the bearings for the rods and mains, the lower end gasket kit, and got the HVOP gear from GixerHP. I MIGHT be able to get this motor at least MOST of the way back together before I move. BUT, I still need a head gasket, the adjustable cam gears, and the studs and nuts.

If anyone has those, please let me know.

I'm moving starting next weekend so I'm going to bust my ass this week trying to get this together. Here's some pics for you guys.

101_2359.jpg

101_2360.jpg

101_2361.jpg

101_2362.jpg

101_2363.jpg

101_2364.jpg

101_2365.jpg

101_2366.jpg

101_2367.jpg

101_2369.jpg

101_2373.jpg

101_2374.jpg

101_2378.jpg

101_2379.jpg

101_2381.jpg

101_2382.jpg

101_2383.jpg

101_2384.jpg

Awesome .... things are starting to come together.

As for the head ... have you checked it for adequate sealing....that is leak tested it so you know your valves are sealing off nice and tight.
Just a suggestion as its a very simple test you can perform yourself and it will save you heartache later.
Waiting until later and finding out a couple of the valves are not sealing properly means ripping the head off again to have the problem fixed.

I'd suggest you perform the simple test using a suitable leak testing fluid, dye or other means available to you.

I know the machine shop would have checked this at the time of reassembly but if you are anything like me ... I check everything at least twice just to be sure and for the peace of mind.

Things look pretty good though from the pics you posted.
Hope you get lucky with the other parts ... :beerchug:

Got GixerHP's HVOP gear in today, holy crap that was fast!!! Thank you!

Its installed, nothing to really show but I can post a pic if you want!

So, anyone got some adjustable cam sprockets, 84mm head gaskets, cylinder studs, or cylinder stud nuts?

Anyone ordered anything from Schnitz racing? How long did it take to get stuff?

Back