Bar warmer question

StrtRac3r

Registered
So we have been having some pretty cold mornings lately, 28-40 degrees. I ride into work about 6am, and I'm debating what to purchase.

Bar warmers
Hotwire or similar glove liners
Or plain and simple better gloves

Any of you guys have some input on what has worked and hasn't for you?

lil charlie said:
Heated gloves...they will heat the back side of you hand where grips only heat your palm.

Those were my thoughts too, just wasn't sure about the "gentle" heat described by cycle gears website. I want electric blanket hot lol.

I've been using these for a couple of years now. I've rode in single digits without my hands getting cold. All you need to do is keep the wind off of your hands, then any good ski gloves will keep you toasty warm.
Amazon.com: Quadboss ATV Hand Mitts (BLACK): Automotive

003.JPG

004.JPG

That's a trip, and good on the budget. Any weirdness using the brake and clutch lever in those?

I bent a small pc. of metal, drilled a hole in it and attached it on the bar ends to keep them from touching the clutch or brake lever. After a few times of riding you will adjust to the feel. I don't even think about them anymore when I ride. Plus I can take them off or put them on in about 10 seconds. Velcro holds them in place. I get some funny looks then everyone is like " That's pretty cool".

Every time I think about heated gear, I think about the frost on the roads that forms here when it gets below freezing and I just save that money:lol:

Gerbings heated gloves.
I have to unplug mine sometimes, as they keep your hands really warm.

The cold has stopped me from riding so far this year. Last year I installed Moose heated elements under my grips. They kept my hands warm on my 85-95 MPH interstate ride back and forth to work 40 miles each way until it got into the 20's then my finger tips would begin to get cold and then hurt..

The problem with describing yes they work they keep my hands warm in cold weather is.. People from the North think cold is below 2 degrees to where people in Miami think cold is in the 70's...
Also we all have different blood circulation to our fingers.. I personally start to get numbness in my finger tips from cold weather in anything below the 50's if I am not moving circulating the blood flow...

So when expressing your expierence please describe the tempatures and also at what temp your hands begin to get numb from the cold while sitting or standing, this will give us a better understanding..

Ive been reading about some gloves that use a lithium ion battery with the heating elements that run down and wrap around each finger tip. They cost around 240.00

The cold has stopped me from riding so far this year. Last year I installed Moose heated elements under my grips. They kept my hands warm on my 85-95 MPH interstate ride back and forth to work 40 miles each way until it got into the 20's then my finger tips would begin to get cold and then hurt..

The problem with describing yes they work they keep my hands warm in cold weather is.. People from the North think cold is below 2 degrees to where people in Miami think cold is in the 70's...
Also we all have different blood circulation to our fingers.. I personally start to get numbness in my finger tips from cold weather in anything below the 50's if I am not moving circulating the blood flow...

So when expressing your expierence please describe the tempatures and also at what temp your hands begin to get numb from the cold while sitting or standing, this will give us a better understanding..

Ive been reading about some gloves that use a lithium ion battery with the heating elements that run down and wrap around each finger tip. They cost around 240.00

Gerbings gloves plug into bike.
They keep my hands hot, and sometimes too hot down to freezing.
Below freezing they are still Very warm and have kept my hands warm in the low teens.
No comparison to heated grips at all.
My hands get cold with the gloves turned off once it gets into the mid 40's.

I have heated grips (symtec) and freeze out liners from cycle gear and they work well until about 20 miles into my 60 mile ride to work in 40 degree weather. I would seriously consider heated gloves as there is no alternative.

Gerbings gloves plug into bike.
They keep my hands hot, and sometimes too hot down to freezing.
Below freezing they are still Very warm and have kept my hands warm in the low teens.
No comparison to heated grips at all.
My hands get cold with the gloves turned off once it gets into the mid 40's.

I have read about Gerbings and they have got mostly great reviews. Do the heating element strips go down and wrap under the finger tip?
My issue is poor circulation to my finger tips to where they begin to hurt always my right finger tip sitting over the front brake lever

Do they bar warmers heat the throttle side well also?

On the SV, both sides heated fine. I just wrapped the bar non throttle side with electrical tape before putting the heaters on and both sides seemed to heat at the same rate. As far as only heating the palm side of your hand, I remember the heat being distributed through the glove so my entire hand was nice and toasty.

Yeah cold for my hands is anything below 40.... Riding in 28 on the freeway with vented summer gloves the other day sucked lol. Thanks for all the good info.

Back