Newb question

tcadaniel

Registered
Hey Folks,

I recently purchased a 2011 left over busa and have been slowly getting used to it. I have been riding for about 30 years starting with a 125cc dirt dirt bikes and progressing through 500's, 750's, 1000's. I figured I was ready for the big boy and decided to buy my dream bike. When people ask me about it and how fast it is I usually respond with something about seeing God. Anway I have about 300 miles on it and I have started to notice something strange. When I go into a turn either left or right and even at slow speeds on smooth roads it feels like the rear end shifts out in the opposite direction of the turn. It's like being in a car with a crooked frame. It's really hard to explain but it's definetly very unusual and a little scarry. I checked the tire pressure and they are both at 42 cold and nothing seems loose. Any thoughts???

42PSI is MAX meaning if you were to load the bike to its maximum weight. Try lowering your cold PSI to 38 to start. Tire temps are known to increase 6+ psi when they heat up.

I thought about slick tires being that it so new but it happens even when I'm hardly leaned over. Strange thing is it was fine for the first 300 miles then it just started acting up. It even did it 10 minutes into a ride going slow with the tired still cold. I'll lower the pressure to 38 and see what happens just for the heck of it. It's killing me cause it's beautiful in Pittsburgh today and we get so few perfect days!

When I had the oem 'stones I ran 36/36. Also get your suspension set as properly as possible.

:welcome:

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

Yes every thing is wrong with the stock busa. Tires, You have to much air pressure for that tire, Supension settings. And then the tune up. So you have a ways to go to smooth it out and learn all the tricks. Once you get it down it is a great bike to ride. ???

:welcome::welcome: Welcome to the org. You will love it here. Lots of knowledge and great people How about some Pics? Thats the first rule :laugh:

Ok. Thanks everyone. I lowered the tires to 36/36 and I'll see if it makes a difference. I also noticed that the on the rear frame there seems to be a differnce in where the rear wheel is centered in the frame. On one side I can count 4 lines from the back of the frame to the square axel bolt and on the other side it's almost 5 lines. I'm not sure how sensative that adjustment is. Do you guys think that could be the problem??

Here you go....

hayabusa.jpg

That's probably not enough to cause it to feel funny, but best bet would be to line them up the same for now. I have a measuring device that locates in the swingarm pivot and the rear axle. I check both sides after setting the chain and I'm good. If you can borrow one you'll know for sure if your swingarm is true and you can just go off the marks or if for some reason you need to set one side longer than the other. Whatever you find, it should remain the same relative difference side to side.

That's funny Dennis. I assume you mean the stock cans. I hate the look of those things. I was going to put on a cheap set of slip on's but decided to save up for a full exhaust instead.

lankeeyankee said:
I know what it is:omg: Look, its the reflectors!!! Those are known to cause erodynamic problems! Remove them ASAP!! :laugh:

Don't forget the mudflap:whistle:
:laugh:

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

Good job on lowering that tire pressure, now align that rear axle. I eye ball mine and you'll hear there's better ways, but at least eye ball it and make it equal on both sides and check the torque on that rear axle nut and give the whole rear suspension a good looking over. That misalignment will cause premature wear on the sprockets and chain if not corrected and might be causing a tracking issue in the corners.

I thought about slick tires being that it so new but it happens even when I'm hardly leaned over. Strange thing is it was fine for the first 300 miles then it just started acting up. It even did it 10 minutes into a ride going slow with the tired still cold. I'll lower the pressure to 38 and see what happens just for the heck of it. It's killing me cause it's beautiful in Pittsburgh today and we get so few perfect days!
The key word is Pittsburgh.. It must be you trying to miss all the potholes in the roads there. Maybe you are just being bounced around by all the uneven roads that are like washboards!

Except for that new toll road 576 from the Pittsburgh International Airport and US22. Seen that road and how smooth it was and thought about a 150mph + rip down that thing on my Busa. :laugh:

I would check the suspension settings. Are you a big guy? Eating all that good primanti brothers sandwiches and pierogies! good stuff!

Back