Wasnt there a ORG member that redid the inner panals?

peterbusa

Registered
I remember reading of a fellow on the ORG. that redid the inner panals ,im pulling out my hair trying to get these 07 inner panals to look good enough to put back on the bike ,wrong paint ,hair lines,just dont seem to have the patients,not with painting.Could somone help,thankyou.

Re-did as in how? I have my panels sanded down to smooth and primed. They are just waiting to be painted. Are you trying to match the stock color?

Hey Russell ,sorry for the wait ,i remember somone that lamenated them,ide be willing to try the sanding and painting again if you cant remember who that was but i would still need to know what type of sandpaper to use and paint (same color as the factory),thankyou.

colorrite.com should have the paint codes you need. Any paint shop should be able to mix up what you need based on the code. As for the sanding, it's a royal PITA, and takes some time. Start with something really rough like 80 grit, and just give it a LIGHT sand to knock down the worst of the bumps. Be careful not to put any huge gouges in with paper this aggressive. Move up to 220 till the bumps are almost gone, then some 600. Power tools speed things up, but be careful. After that it's a matter of using a high build primer to fill in any imperfections that are left and sanding smooth. Repeat until pretty. An adhesion promotor on the plastic first is a good idea, but it sounds like you may be past that already..

colorrite.com should have the paint codes you need. Any paint shop should be able to mix up what you need based on the code. As for the sanding, it's a royal PITA, and takes some time. Start with something really rough like 80 grit, and just give it a LIGHT sand to knock down the worst of the bumps. Be careful not to put any huge gouges in with paper this aggressive. Move up to 220 till the bumps are almost gone, then some 600. Power tools speed things up, but be careful. After that it's a matter of using a high build primer to fill in any imperfections that are left and sanding smooth. Repeat until pretty. An adhesion promotor on the plastic first is a good idea, but it sounds like you may be past that already..

I used a 120, then a 220, then 400 to finish them off smooth and ready for paint. It takes A LOT of work to get them smooth and nice. About 4 hours of sanding, maybe some more if you are distracted by other things and have ADD :laugh: Squirrel?!?!

I sanded all of my plastics with 400 before painting and it all came out pretty nice for my first time. When I get the dash panels finished in April I will upload pictures of the bike finished. Until then no one on the Org gets to see :laugh: :moon:. I did post pictures of them in the paint booth after they were finished so you get an idea of how good they look.

Don't forget this one:

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their" - there is a pregnant pause, as he gropes for the right word - "their love, with women all across the country."

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Don't forget this one:

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their" - there is a pregnant pause, as he gropes for the right word - "their love, with women all across the country."

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

wrong thread/smart phone error??? lol

Mine are getting done as well.My painter says he will use some gorilla grip on the panels to make the paint stick better and make it more flexible.Not sure but he says it a trick for making paint flex better.

I did mine.

Sanded with 120,220,400 sprayed with filler primer then sanded sprayed again with filler primer. Then sprayed a single stage black. Let cure. Wet sand with 2000 then rubbing compound and the swirl remover then wax.

ForumRunner_20120401_114338.jpg

ForumRunner_20120401_114407.jpg

ForumRunner_20120401_114338.jpg

ForumRunner_20120401_114407.jpg

I used a 120, then a 220, then 400 to finish them off smooth and ready for paint. It takes A LOT of work to get them smooth and nice. About 4 hours of sanding, maybe some more if you are distracted by other things and have ADD :laugh: Squirrel?!?!

I sanded all of my plastics with 400 before painting and it all came out pretty nice for my first time. When I get the dash panels finished in April I will upload pictures of the bike finished. Until then no one on the Org gets to see :laugh: :moon:. I did post pictures of them in the paint booth after they were finished so you get an idea of how good they look.
Im going to try sanding them first now that i know what type of paper to use,it really makes a job hard when i work ass backwards,thats really all i needed ,i guess i could send them out but i started the job so i want to finish it,oh by the way i feed all the strays in my area (i believe i mentioned that way back when)so when im in my garage i often get visitors,cats squirrels,and somtimes even a racoon has wondered in ,that im not crazy about,they know where the food is ,what can you do but the right thing ,i just dont want any of them getting paint on themselves,hey Russ thanks.Just got home from work thats why im late in responding.

Im going to try sanding them first now that i know what type of paper to use,it really makes a job hard when i work ass backwards,thats really all i needed ,i guess i could send them out but i started the job so i want to finish it,oh by the way i feed all the strays in my area (i believe i mentioned that way back when)so when im in my garage i often get visitors,cats squirrels,and somtimes even a racoon has wondered in ,that im not crazy about,they know where the food is ,what can you do but the right thing ,i just dont want any of them getting paint on themselves,hey Russ thanks.Just got home from work thats why im late in responding.

It's all good. Do not despair when you have found yourself working on them for a long time. Remember, the more work you put in, the nicer they will look.

Thanks Russ,i couldnt get away with a half ass job it would begin to knaw on me and ide endup ripping it all apart and starting again so im just going to take my time and do it rite and yes i will take pictures,oboy!

Back