Rt 66 Adventure - Updated With Pictures

You are loved. The .org is all loved!

Any time. Always know that.

--Wag--

I'm glad you are almost home and are OK. Seems like lots of people that I care about are ending up in the hospital lately. Take care of yourself and I hope to see you guys soon.

Hope your doing better Dennis. What an exciting way to end a trip ! NOT !

Here are the pics from the trip (finally). I have alot of them, so bear with me here.

We left Foristell MO and traveled Rt 66 to Galena KS the first day. The signage in Central Missouri is terrible. We ended up on one dead end gravel road after another. If you think turning the Busa around in a 20' box is tough enough, try doing it on gravel with 40# of luggage mounted on top. Once we got near Springfield the signage and the raods got nice. The ride between Sprinfield and Galena was great.

1) The Wagon Wheel motel. It we too soon for us to stop. If you can plan a stop near Cuba Mo, they just renovated all of the rooms in this classic motel.

2) We had lunch at the Missouri Hick BBQ in Cuba MO. It's next door to the Wagon Wheel Motel.

3) The world's largest Rocking Chair. Luci was disapointed, the thought she's finally be able to rock.

4) An old bridge on 66 near Devil's Elbow.

5) Luci made a new friend along the way.

Day2.IMG_0717.jpg

Day2.IMG_0720.jpg

Day2.IMG_0724.jpg

Day2.IMG_0727.jpg

Day2.IMG_0729.jpg

We got to Galena KS and checked into the Galena Motel. The room was OK for a night, but I thought I was in the Amityville Horror with all the flies in the room. Al least they threw in a free flyswatter. Once we checked in, we went in search of a cold beverage and a meal, but found KS doesn't allow beverage sales on Sundays. So we went back to Missouri to Hogs and Hot Rods. We were able to get a cold beverage, but they stopped serving food at 5pm. Snack food from the gas station for dinner, gotta love small towns in the mid west.

1) Luci at the Galena Motel

2) Hogs and Hot Rods.

3-4) We stopped at '4 Women on the Route' in Galena for pictures the next morning before hitting the road.

Day2.IMG_0731.jpg

Day2.IMG_0733.jpg

Day3.2.IMG_0732.jpg

Day3.3.IMG_0733.jpg

From there we headed to Pops in Arcadia OK. They have over 600 different soda flavors. We spent the night in Oklahoma City with the Professor and Kristi.

Day3.Pops1.IMG_0742.jpg

Day3.Pops2.DSCI0045.jpg

Day3.Pops3.DSCI0047.JPG

Day3.Pops4.DSCI0048.jpg

We started out on Tuesday having to make a U turn again. But we were back on track in no time and on to Vlinton OK and the Oklahoma Rt 66 Museum.

Day4.0.IMG_0744.jpg

Day4.1.IMG_0745.jpg

Day4.DSCI0049.jpg

Day4.DSCI0050.jpg

Day4.DSCI0051.jpg

More OK museum. The 2nd picture is the original concrete curbing they used to pave Rt66. When we were riding on the gravel there were sections where the curbing was coming through the gravel. I didn't know what it was at the time.

Day4.DSCI0052.jpg

Day4.DSCI0053.jpg

Day4.DSCI0055.jpg

Day4.DSCI0056.jpg

Day4.DSCI0057.jpg

1) From Clinton we headed west to Texas.

2) Tim wanted to have a snack at the U Drop In Cafe, but they were closed.

3-4) We had dinner at the Big Texan, home of the 72oz Steak Diner.

5) If you can eat the 72oz diner in under an hour, it's free. If you don't complete the meal, it'll cost you $72. These gentlemen paid for their dinner.

Day4.DSCI0076a.jpg

Day4.DSCI0076b.JPG

Day4.DSCI0076c.jpg

Day4.DSCI0080.jpg

Day4.DSCI0077.jpg

After diner, we headed onto Tucumcari NM. Along the way we saw the Cadillac Ranch and the Leaning Water Tower in Britton.

Day4.DSCI0082a.jpg

Day4.DSCI0083.jpg

Day4.DSCI0084.jpg

Day4.DSCI0084b.JPG

Day4.DSCI0084c.jpg

We spent the night at the Blue Swallow Motel in Tucumcari NM. This is such a cool place. They are trying to keep it looking like it was back in the day before the Interstate system bypased the town. Every room has it's own garage.

Day4.DSCI0086.jpg

Day4.IMG_0753.jpg

Day4.IMG_0762.jpg

Back