If you had a choice, would you get a Gen1 or Gen2?

Once you own a Gen II, you will never look back. Trust me.

I am sure if I rode a more advanced busa (genII) I would probably feel the need to upgrade...the thing is I really love the lines of the genI, I have had my 05 for going on 7 years...I would have a very hard time letting go of this bike. If anything I would own both if I felt I needed to get a genII...which I dont.:laugh:

So I am a bit torn right now. A friend wants to buy my bike bad, he's in love with it. If I sell it to him I can buy a 2011 busa pretty much the next day. Wondering how many of you guys would switch over from a Gen1 to a Gen2 if you didn't have to have a bike payment.
From the info in your sig and my memory haven't you pretty much turned your gen1 into a gen2 with the gen2 motor, forks, brakes etc? Since you pretty much have a gen2 except for looks I guess it would depend mostly upon the "new" bike factor...if you want a brand new machine or not :laugh: For me I probably won't upgrade most likely, I think the 2nd gens are awesome machines, but I have my first gen set up just the way I like it and am completely happy with it. The 2nd gen just isn't different enough to make me want to bite. I'd rather spend the money on other bikes/toys :laugh: But a 3rd gen might be a different story though lol.

I like new stuff not second hand so I know how it's been treated, but that's just me, so a gen II for me.

If giving the choice, I'd go with Gen2 and try to figure out how to make a better tail section. It looks good with a fat tire under it,but with a stock tire... I just don't care for it. It's like it was made for a 300 stuffed up under there.

It all depends, I guess. For me, the G1 has all the performance I will ever need (and more), I like the styling better, and it runs on regular gas. The G1 can be had for less $$, so, I give the nod to G1.

Others feel differently, and that's OK. It's a little bit like saying: "Which would you rather have, chocolate, or vanilla?" You really can't go wrong, because it's a personal thing.

I did have the choice and went with a Gen II. Have not looked back since then.

Once you own a Gen II, you will never look back. Trust me.

I couldn't dissagree more. When a Gen II dominates me on the track and when a Gen II tips the scale equally with my Gen I, I will reassess the subject, not until then. I love this argument.

DM_17698.jpg

P1020651.JPG

MF1A9535.JPG

How much $$ will this upgrade actually cost you in the end? How much $$ have u put into the gen 1 and how much more to pay the gen 2 and how much more to mod it the new bike the way u want? Then registeration and insurance fees go up on a newer model bike. Now if u just want a new bike then go get it and nevermind the cost. Only thing better than a bus is being happy on a buss even if the bank account takes a hit.

I thought I would never trade my 05. But I love my Gen II even more. Yes, you have start all over again on mods, but thats the fun. Both are fun bikes, but I am very happy I made the change.

Had both. If you don't see that :whistle: Gen I :thumbsup: Gen II :bowdown: What you often don't hear is that 95% of all rational complaints were corrected in the Gen II. Yes many mods can still be had, for appearance and performance and comfort, but the Gen II is just fine out the box.

GEN II

Up until this past weekend I would have said a Gen 1, but after following Skydivr on his Gen 2 noticing the power difference and how significant it was and even though the tail isn't my type of styling the brake light is alot bigger and brighter. The turn signals are also more noticeable. The tail WAS the only thing I had against the Gen2 and well now I like it. So yes I would probably trade my 07 with 54K miles to a brand new Gen2. However, thats only if they trade even :poke:. Good luck in what you choose and post pics!:beerchug:

I think the Gen 1 looks so much better then the Gen 2. However I would take the Gen 2 for the power and technology difference. Mainly the rear of the Gen 2 I find is ugly, so I would do the Gen 1 conversion for the rear. Also not having a note is great. I plan on getting a White Gen 2 here soon, and I will throw my Gen 1 tail on it. I plan on having both generations. One for show, one for drag.

Somebody tell me what you CAN'T upgrade on a Gen I to equal or surpass that component on a Gen II? Therefore it comes down to 1)aesthetics 2)weight. All other points about the differences boil down to the following....."how far is the owner willing to aftermarket/develop/improve the equipment?"

If someone wants to make the point that one doesn't have to do as much to the GenII to make it the way they like it.....then I'll listen, otherwise it's just folks unwilling to "see the development through to the excellence that is waiting to be tapped".

The Gen II is an amazing bike but I will never cave to the position that the Gen I is lower in pecking order to a Gen II. If this discussion only applies to stock vrs. stock then what I've said doesn't apply at all. Doyle

IMG_0009.jpg

P1010331.JPG

MF1A1348.JPG

Somebody tell me what you CAN'T upgrade on a Gen I to equal or surpass that component on a Gen II? Therefore it comes down to 1)aesthetics 2)weight. All other points about the differences boil down to the following....."how far is the owner willing to aftermarket/develop/improve the equipment?"

If someone wants to make the point that one doesn't have to do as much to the GenII to make it the way they like it.....then I'll listen, otherwise it's just folks unwilling to "see the development through to the excellence that is waiting to be tapped".

The Gen II is an amazing bike but I will never cave to the position that the Gen I is lower in pecking order to a Gen II. If this discussion only applies to stock vrs. stock then what I've said doesn't apply at all. Doyle
What you have said doesn't apply. I owned an 05, loved it! Stock vs stock my 08 handles better therefore makes me more confident when riding it. I can mod my bike enough to make it a spaceship if I wanted to but I don't think that was information the OP was looking for.

Back