Sorry Ride-on explained.

newman

Registered
Some people don't know what ride on is, it seals the tyre if you get a puncture.
Here is a leaflet on it. If it works fingers crossed.

Scan.jpg

Scan1.jpg

Don't believe what they say mate.

Even a properly and professionally plugged tire (mushroom plug from the inside, and with follow up heat treatment) is not as reliable as a tire without a puncture. Imagine how many revolutions a tire makes, and how a contact patch travels around the tire subjecting it to thousands and thousands of sudden impacts and stretches, and so on and so forth. The contact patch pounds on the punctured area so violently! Do you know how many times a contact patch pounds the punctured area during a 130 miles ride? A very rough calculation - about 100,000 times. Riding on such tire for 1300 miles would result in about 1 million hits on the punctured (and patched) area!

If structural integrity of the tire was compromised, there is a small chance that even the best plug may lose its adherance and let some air out after so many hits on the weakend area of the tire. That is the exact reason why the general recommendation is to not go fast and aggressively on plugged tires - this greatly reduces a chance of such thing happening.

What this product label says that this substance will plug the puncture (implying: better than a professionally installed plug), and will be reliable after thousands and maybe millions of violent hits on the punctured area. I don't believe this for a second.

I am also wondering what would happen with the tire valve core if you decide to let some air out while ride-on is inside. Wouldn't this product completely clog the valve?

Another critical point I wanted to make is this. If you have ride-on inside the tire, and let's say you got a puncture which ride-on sealed - you are completely unaware that you have a sealed puncture. As a result of not being aware, you keep riding as fast/aggressively as you normally do. Would you ride like that if you knew you had a puncture, although sealed? I doubt it.

So, another negative point is that aside from how well the product works, this product effectively masks the fact that you got a puncture - not good. Wouldn't you rather know that you got a puncture, and adjust your riding accordingly?

Slightly off topic, but as I mentioned in a different post, having a TPMS on a bike makes it a lot safer for a rider when it comes to punctured tires.

I don't trust it because you may never know you had a compromised tire. That being said I always use slime in my mountain bike and lawn tractor tires.

Sent from my Eris ADR6200 using Tapatalk

Back