who changes their own tires?

rockethead

Registered
How many of you change your own tires and what equipment do you use? pics would be helpful too. I think it's a rip off taking my bike to the shop to replace the rubber and end up paying $80 per tire which is rediculous.

Its not an easy chore but its doable. I would say a two person job to make it easier. Rim guards, tire irons, bead breaker, and lubricant.

that is a rip off. my uncle picked up a whole no mar setup and does them on the side. doesnt have to deal with transporting bike and tires to somewhere and has it done at his leisure. people have had success with the harbor freight stand but ive heard they ditched the motorcylce attachment.

Our local shop charges 20 to mount and balance if you carry them in and 40 if it is on the bike, Not a bad price. I just carry mine in and a buddy that has worked there 18 years does them, So I know they are always done right.

Pshhh well i guess i need to come learn from you then! Teach me master :bowdown:

I think it took about 15 minutes per tire removal and install.... maybe 20

Rubber off and on the rim, five minutes, by myself. I bet a master could do it in two.

How many of you change your own tires and what equipment do you use? pics would be helpful too. I think it's a rip off taking my bike to the shop to replace the rubber and end up paying $80 per tire which is rediculous.

Holy crap! i would avoid that place like the plague..

I do mine, got the lower cost version of the NoMar....made by NoMar... :laugh:
No-Mar: Scratch Proof Tire Changer

Got mine on sale awhile back and have probably done close to 2 dozen tires for myself and friends so far. Very quick and easy, I could be making a nice income on the side I suppose but do it for the fun of helping friends. :beerchug:

My friend changes mine, with a No-mar changer. Around here, if you don't buy the tires from them, they won't change them. I used to go thru Shinkos pretty fast with all the passes I made at the track, and paying $250 to have one purchased, mounted, and balanced was killing me. I need to buy my friend some of the wear parts for his, as many as he has changed for me:rofl:

OP, you need to find a shop that wants you for your business not just your money. $80 per wheel is rediculous! Before I found the shop I go to now (which does it for free) I paid $45 per wheel, $35 if tire was bought from their shop.

Holy crap! i would avoid that place like the plague..

I hear ya, When I bought the Busa it must have been sitting for awhile because I went through the rear tire pretty quick, leaving me in a bind looking for a rear tire on short notice. If I had more time I would have taken the wheels off myself. They won't get me again:cussing:

If I was working, I would do them at my shop for $40 for both.

Steve has a set up, we can park out bikes, get the wheels off, change the tires and get them all back on in an hour for both.....

Once you get a routine down it's just not a problem. If we balance them you can add 30 minutes...

I have too. Go through about 3 sets a season so It's just part of the routine. I got hit with that $80 charge at my local shop too (I didn't bother to ask how much when I dropped them off-duh!) & said never again. Bought all the stuff after that. I really ought to invest in one of those fancy changers ($500+), but too cheap.

For $100 you can buy a nice balancer, I got the No-Mar balancer and the Travel Bead-Brakr (which we sell). Basic tire irons are okay, but I picked up a nice one at my local BMW shop. I keep a package of wheel weights in the shop all the time. Changing is simple, balancing takes me a little longer.

The big trick with changing your own is dishwashing soap and some water on the bead when you put it all back together. The Travel Bead BrakR set we sell includes this.
Buy Now: Motorcycle Bead Breaker Tire Iron Bead BrakR | Pashnit Moto

It's pricey to buy your own equipment & tools in the beginning but $80x3 is $240 in labor I save each season. I've had this stuff at least 4 years, so I've saved in excess of $1000. Just think about the mods you can buy with $1000. :thumbsup:

Here's changing rear on the K1200R I had for awhile:

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Img_4742_bead_breaker.jpg

Img_4742_bead_breaker.jpg

Img_4754_tire_change.jpg

Img_4755_700.jpg

This is the No-Mar Wheel Balancer. They run about $100 and any brand will do.

Img_4845_wheel_balancing.jpg

Img_4850_wheel_weights.jpg

Img_4855_wheel_weights.jpg

One trick with getting the wheel weights in the right place is to use masking tape. Put them in the light spot, spin the wheel, then move them back & forth until the wheel spins evenly with no heavy spots.

Img_4856_wheel_weights.jpg

All balanced!

Img_4857_wheel_weights.jpg

Img_4754_tire_change.jpg

Img_4755_700.jpg

Img_4845_wheel_balancing.jpg

Img_4850_wheel_weights.jpg

Img_4855_wheel_weights.jpg

Img_4856_wheel_weights.jpg

Img_4857_wheel_weights.jpg

The big trick with changing your own is dishwashing soap and some water on the bead when you put it all back together.

I've heard/been told to keep moisture out of the inside of the tire. Makes the pressure fluctuate less due to temperature.

Back