Saddlebags. Help me make my decision...

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
Nelson Rigg CL-950 Deluxe Saddlebags :: MotorcycleGear.com
Nelson Rigg to match the tank bag I already have. Those have about a 20 liter capacity each.

Or...

MotoCentric Mototrek Sport Saddlebags - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore
Have around 22 liters per bag and expandable to 26.

Anyone have these and can give me a good review on them? I would especially like to know how the rain covers hold up on them. I want some luggage to take trips on :thumbsup: They are about the same price with free shipping. One holds a bit more but I am more concerned with quality and how well the rain covers work and stay on...

And if you guys know of a better bag feel free to share!

Nelson-Rigg gets my vote...a bit biased since I also have the full matching set (saddle bags, tail and tank bags). Zero complaints about them plus hard to beat the bargain price from NewEnough.

Nelson-Rigg gets my vote...a bit biased since I also have the full matching set (saddle bags, tail and tank bags). Zero complaints about them plus hard to beat the bargain price from NewEnough.

My OCD wants nelson rigg to match.... I may end up having to get a motocentric tank bag if i get the saddlebags... Have you ever used the rain covers?

I was looking at pashnit.com and saw the tank cover that is to match color of your bike and the matching tank bag.. am sure they'd have saddle bags to match as well.. check it out..good luck either way.. i borrowed a friends bags and tank bag for a 300 mile one way trip and I tucked the bag strap under the rear seat..and used some S2S straps to hold a small gym type bag to it as well.. and a tank bag..I was fully loaded up..lol..:beerchug:

My OCD wants nelson rigg to match....

Me too, good thing NewEnough had the pieces I wanted in stock...actually made my shopping so much easier. :thumbsup:

Have not used the rain covers yet but I did a "test fit" and do not anticipate any issues. I always have standby plastic bags nearby so I can "wrap" the bags' contents, augmenting the rain cover.

Me too, good thing NewEnough had the pieces I wanted in stock...actually made my shopping so much easier. :thumbsup:

Have not used the rain covers yet but I did a "test fit" and do not anticipate any issues. I always have standby plastic bags nearby so I can "wrap" the bags' contents, augmenting the rain cover.

I might go motocentric because i need a slightly larger tank bag. i have the mini nelson rigg and i want a wee bit more room...

Went with the Cortech stuff and overall I was very pleased;

Cortech1.jpg

CORtech.jpg

Cortech2.jpg

I have the Nelson Riggs and they work pretty well. I also bought a rear bag with built in cords(not shown), we can take two nights of stuff for both us.

IMG_7131 AC.jpg

For touring I use Ventura - one bag holds 51 litres, with the second one 102 litres. Plenty of room.
And you don't have to worry about rubbing the paint on your tail section. If you have to go with one of the two - I have a Nelson Rigg tail bag and it has been a good piece. I think you will do fine with either one.

KNG_0865.jpg

Steve, do you know the weight limit for that Ventura Rack system?

By the way, AWESOME pic!

Steve, do you know the weight limit for that Ventura Rack system?

By the way, AWESOME pic!

Weight has never been an issue. Both bags are supported well. The front bag by the passenger seat and the included luggage rack supports the rear bag. These are the largest bags available. There are others available. I just load the heavy items first and in the front bag. Many members use this system, I don't think you will hear a complaint from any of them. Price is an issue. They are pricey, but the quality, usable space, design and durability are top notch.
Ventura did their homework on this system. If you look close, the antenna for our radio communications/autocom is seen in the left rear pocket.
The pic is Bear Tooth Pass. Wyoming/Montana border. A must see place.
Cap hauled more electronic items then a Best Buy store. I think he had 6 cameras, a large laptop, gigantic camera and bigger zoom lens. He had room left over. We even had the $20 walmart bike cover bungee tied under the rack. I hauled a soft cooler with six bottles of water and snacks for each day in one compartment.

On the day trip to the park, I took one bag and left the other in the motel.

IMG_4007.jpg

For touring I use Ventura - one bag holds 51 litres, with the second one 102 litres. Plenty of room.
And you don't have to worry about rubbing the paint on your tail section. If you have to go with one of the two - I have a Nelson Rigg tail bag and it has been a good piece. I think you will do fine with either one.

Thanks for the in depth review steve. Looks real nice just out of my price range :( maybe down the road ill look into ventura or keep an eye open for a deal.

Sent from my rooted HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk.

I have the nelson set with the matching tailpack and love it. I packed a weekend worth of stuff and still had room. They both look nice good luck.

Back