1125R owners chime in please

I owned a 2008 1125R and now own a 2008 Busa.

As someone else said, they're two 'different animals'. Same rider, same conditions, the Buell will outpace the Busa in the corners. If you're most concerned with handling, the Busa can be improved upon by raising the rear a little (dogbones), and adjusting the suspension to suit your weight. But the difference in weight of the two machines is going to be the telling thing in terms of cornering, I suspect.

Straight-line performance...the Busa is an Order of Magnitude quicker. I thought the Buell was fast until I cranked the Busa. No contest here. But then, I weigh 60# more than you do, so the torque and additional horsepower of the Busa are very telling at my mass. At your weight of 145#, the 1125 will scream.

Riding 2-up (which I don't do) I have to figure the Busa's gonna win that contest simply by dint of its greater size/wheelbase. As for solo riding, they're both about equal in my opinion, in the comfort department. I lowered the pegs on both by 1". The Busa, I raised the bars with Helis and a spacer. Both had Corbin seats. I'm old and rickety, but I could do 200 miles a day on either, pretty easily, and more if I pressed it. Neither, in my estimation, is a sport-tourer. But if I had to pick in this department, I'd choose the Busa (for its greater size/mass). On both bikes--even the Busa with the mods I've done--you're riding 'hunched forward' compared to a straight-up seating position. Unless you're rolling a steady 75-80 so that the wind props you up, you're going to feel the forward-leaning position after a few hundred miles. At least, that's my experience.

It sounds like you're going to save your pennies and go for the Busa. But if you do change your mind, as others have said if there's not a significant price difference, get an 09 or 10 1125R as they did some mods that improve things. As for recalls, I believe they finally got all that sorted out. Mine ran hot, basically. But not so hot I couldn't ride it here in the desert on the hottest day (I just had to be careful opening the fuel cap when I stopped...long story, check the Buell sites for more info.)

This choice comes down to money, versus what you want the bike to do for you. If you're interested purely in the twisties, and money is a limiting factor, then the Buell is the clear choice in my book. But if you want more all-around versatility--wicked straightline performance...and you can come up with another grand or three (depending how lucky/unlucky you are) for a used one, then it's the Gen 2 Hayabusa.

For what it's worth, one of the odd things about the Buell is not the bike itself, but the people who surround it. We have strong Hayabusa supporters on this site. Every such brand-specific site will. But with Buell, there's a certain cadre of...what shall I call them? Fanatics. There's almost a cult-like atmosphere surrounding Eric Buell, and if you own a Buell and attend Buell events and/or frequent Buell sites, you'll be sure to come into contact with these folks. They're very interesting people. Let me just conclude this by saying, I really like this site we're on now, and the people here...

I'm like you. I always wanted a Busa. It took me ten years to get around to getting one, but I finally did it. I won't say I'll never sell it--because you can never say 'never'--but I would prefer to keep it (and a true touring bike for LONG trips) for as long as I'm able to ride.

Good luck.

Alan

Last edited:
I had a Ninja 650 for my first bike. Rode it for a year, then got the Busa. My first impression of the Busa was that it felt much more stable both going straight and cornering (maybe the extra weight...). I thought to myself "This feels like a bike that costs twice as much as the 650". I had no trouble getting used to handling the Busa, just approached the beast with great caution and respect.
Thanks for your input! This really surprises me.. just like it surprised me to sit on a ZX-14, stand it up and think "wow, this feels really light?"
I would love to have an impression of the busa like what you describe!
I owned a 2008 1125R and now own a 2008 Busa.

As someone else said, they're two 'different animals'. Same rider, same conditions, the Buell will outpace the Busa in the corners. If you're most concerned with handling, the Busa can be improved upon by raising the rear a little (dogbones), and adjusting the suspension to suit your weight. But the difference in weight of the two machines is going to be the telling thing in terms of cornering, I suspect.

Straight-line performance...the Busa is an Order of Magnitude quicker. I thought the Buell was fast until I cranked the Busa. No contest here. But then, I weigh 60# more than you do, so the torque and additional horsepower of the Busa are very telling at my mass. At your weight of 145#, the 1125 will scream.

Riding 2-up (which I don't do) I have to figure the Busa's gonna win that contest simply by dint of its greater size/wheelbase. As for solo riding, they're both about equal in my opinion, in the comfort department. I lowered the pegs on both by 1". The Busa, I raised the bars with Helis and a spacer. Both had Corbin seats. I'm old and rickety, but I could do 200 miles a day on either, pretty easily, and more if I pressed it. Neither, in my estimation, is a sport-tourer. But if I had to pick in this department, I'd choose the Busa (for its greater size/mass). On both bikes--even the Busa with the mods I've done--you're riding 'hunched forward' compared to a straight-up seating position. Unless you're rolling a steady 75-80 so that the wind props you up, you're going to feel the forward-leaning position after a few hundred miles. At least, that's my experience.

It sounds like you're going to save your pennies and go for the Busa. But if you do change your mind, as others have said if there's not a significant price difference, get an 09 or 10 1125R as they did some mods that improve things. As for recalls, I believe they finally got all that sorted out. Mine ran hot, basically. But not so hot I couldn't ride it here in the desert on the hottest day (I just had to be careful opening the fuel cap when I stopped...long story, check the Buell sites for more info.)

This choice comes down to money, versus what you want the bike to do for you. If you're interested purely in the twisties, and money is a limiting factor, then the Buell is the clear choice in my book. But if you want more all-around versatility--wicked straightline performance...and you can come up with another grand or three (depending how lucky/unlucky you are) for a used one, then it's the Gen 2 Hayabusa.

For what it's worth, one of the odd things about the Buell is not the bike itself, but the people who surround it. We have strong Hayabusa supporters on this site. Every such brand-specific site will. But with Buell, there's a certain cadre of...what shall I call them? Fanatics. There's almost a cult-like atmosphere surrounding Eric Buell, and if you own a Buell and attend Buell events and/or frequent Buell sites, you'll be sure to come into contact with these folks. They're very interesting people. Let me just conclude this by saying, I really like this site we're on now, and the people here...

I'm like you. I always wanted a Busa. It took me ten years to get around to getting one, but I finally did it. I won't say I'll never sell it--because you can never say 'never'--but I would prefer to keep it (and a true touring bike for LONG trips) for as long as I'm able to ride.

Good luck.

Alan

Thanks a lot for your insight Alan, exactly what I was hoping for. I'll keep waiting on a busa, unless my impatience gets the best of me lol. I'm really itching for an upgrade from my trusty 650. It's a tough decision choosing what path to take.

I appreciate everyone's help. Thanks guys!
Stay tuned :beerchug:

Wrote a road test article for a magazine on the Buell Ulysses when that came out. Fun machine, not sure if I would own one. Loved everything about the bike except the motor.

Put 1600 miles on it in 4 days. :laugh:

Can read the road test article here:

Buell Ulysses Ulyses XB12X - A 1600 Mile Road Test - Pashnit

4715-FR177.jpg

Buell Ulysses XB12X Road Test - Friction Zone Mag, by Pashnit

4288-SacRiverDelta-II.jpg

4668-FR177-II.jpg

4307-sunrise-900.jpg

4446-Sequoia-900.jpg

4715-FR177.jpg

4288-SacRiverDelta-II.jpg

4668-FR177-II.jpg