Recovering an autocomm mic

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
I recently went up and spoke to Keith at Tulsa Truck Supply about my autocomm mic. Over the past couple of years the foam that covers the mic has worn off. Keith sat down with me and showed me a trick and I wanted to share it with you....

I think the kit I bought runs about 10.00 to recover your mic but Keith showed me some added techniques to help with mic placement as well as wind noise. For me I had two distinct tasks, one was to recover the mic and the second was to add more wind protection.

Recovering the mic:

Step 1. Very gently pull the foam and glue from the end of the mic.
KNG_2742.jpg

Step 2. Clean off of the wire loop that surrounds the mic itself. There will be extra glue and foam that needs to be removed. You can rub your finger on the wire to get the clumps of glue off.
KNG_2743.jpg

Step 3. Line up the new pieces of foam so you know what order they go on.

Step 4. Make sure that as you put the two glued pieces together that you have everything lined up so that the mic is in the middle.
KNG_2745.jpg

Step 5. Make sure that you press the edges together very closely to ensure that the foam sticks together on both sides...

Adding wind protection:

Step 1. Take some duct tape and tear off a piece about 3 - 4 inches long.
KNG_2738.jpg

Step 2. Place a penny in the middle of the sticky side of the tape, use a razor knife and cut around the penny.
KNG_2739.jpg

Step 3. Remove the penny and put it aside, you will need it again.
KNG_2740.jpg

Step 4. Place a piece of 4 inch duct tape flat on your workspace, place your penny in the center of the tape (Sticky side up). Once you have the penny in the middle place the back side of the microphone directly over the penny.
KNG_2747.jpg

Step 5. Work the tape around the edges making a good tight seal working the wrinkles out.
KNG_2748.jpg

Step 6. Once you have the edges smooth the trim up the tape and cut it out as close to the foam as you can get it.
KNG_2750.jpg

Step 7. Take an additional foam sock and poke or snip a small hole in the side as to allow the mic boom to slide through. Slide the foam over the boom with the opening to the front instead of the back.
KNG_2751.jpg
KNG_2752.jpg

Step 8. Now you have a mic with a cover that protects from the buffering wind of an enclosed helmet. In the pictures you can also see that the extra foam creates a "Sweet Spot" that you can feel when you put the mic in the helmet.
KNG_2753.jpg
KNG_2754.jpg
KNG_2755.jpg

Good luck.....

cap

KNG_2742.jpg

KNG_2743.jpg

KNG_2745.jpg

KNG_2738.jpg

KNG_2739.jpg

KNG_2740.jpg

KNG_2747.jpg

KNG_2748.jpg

KNG_2750.jpg

KNG_2751.jpg

KNG_2752.jpg

KNG_2753.jpg

KNG_2754.jpg

KNG_2755.jpg

What a great "how to" Doug, thanks. (I have a new one but as soon as it wears, I'll know what to do). Doyle

What a great "how to" Doug, thanks. (I have a new one but as soon as it wears, I'll know what to do). Doyle

Thanks Doyle, the penny, tape and extra foam will protect the mic from the wind of full face helmets. Its pretty standard to have a vent right where the mic goes. The foam on the mic cover protects the side of the mic so that the wind whooshing around cant set the mic off if you are in VOX....

Cap

Back