now i know how the harley guys feel!

jch364

Registered
the other day i was riding home just minding my own business. when i came to a stop light i smelled something like burning oil. I thought that surely it must be from the exhaust from the car in front of me. at the next light i could still smell it. this time i noticed smoke coming from up through the triple tree!!!???. I pulled over and looked under the bike and to my amazement i watched oil drip onto the pavement. and noticed oil on the side fairing on the right side. Ok now im in panic mode. My cell phone is dead and i gotta get her home. so i drove ever so slowly continually checking the oil light and temp gauge. after i got home i pulled the panel off on the right side praying that the oil was from a loose filter. or maybe oil cooler had a puncher. anything but the engine....

well as it turns out it was the right oil cooler hose that was leaking. not the connections but in the line somewhere. .... put a new one on and cleaned up the oil and checked and all is well. didnt loose any oil to speak of. maybe an ounce at best. thank god i feel really lucky that it was only a hose. I would never have thought that the hose would have developed a leak though. kinda odd i think but then again it is an 06 with 41k miles. i think its gonna be needing all new hoses soon.....

anyone else had this happen? just wondering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: now i know how the harey guys feel!

sorry meant to say harley not harey... joke doesnt make sense when you miss spell the point of the joke..:laugh:

Do you have to move the hose to perform an oil change (oil filter access?)?

Sorry, dont know how that feels, I never had a drop of oil leak on my HD... :poke:

the other day i was riding home just minding my own business. when i came to a stop light i smelled something like burning oil. I thought that surely it must be from the exhaust from the car in front of me. at the next light i could still smell it. this time i noticed smoke coming from up through the triple tree!!!???. I pulled over and looked under the bike and to my amazement i watched oil drip onto the pavement. and noticed oil on the side fairing on the right side. Ok now im in panic mode. My cell phone is dead and i gotta get her home. so i drove ever so slowly continually checking the oil light and temp gauge. after i got home i pulled the panel off on the right side praying that the oil was from a loose filter. or maybe oil cooler had a puncher. anything but the engine....

well as it turns out it was the right oil cooler hose that was leaking. not the connections but in the line somewhere. .... put a new one on and cleaned up the oil and checked and all is well. didnt loose any oil to speak of. maybe an ounce at best. thank god i feel really lucky that it was only a hose. I would never have thought that the hose would have developed a leak though. kinda odd i think but then again it is an 06 with 41k miles. i think its gonna be needing all new hoses soon.....

anyone else had this happen? just wondering.

how were you able to smell oil with your helmet on?

I have never removed the line for any reason. actually the only time it was removed was when the exhaust was put on but thats it. i only smelled it when i was at the stop light and then noticed the smoke... .....

Harleys don't leak oil, they mark their territory :rofl:

hmmmm, got over 30K miles on mine and not one drop.....ever :cheerleader:

83851-kromdom-albums-4944-02-rkc-picture29817-2-tone-pearl-white-and-tangelo.jpg

Last edited:
Don't know may have been a good idea to tow it instead of going for it... I always go to the side of caution.. oil leaking on hot muffler could ignite. Glad it worked out :thumbsup: I wouldn't trust that oil light for nothing I believe a member said his engine started ticking before the oil light came on an by then it was all over...

hmmmm, got over 30K miles on mine and not one drop.....ever :cheerleader:

83851-kromdom-albums-4944-02-rkc-picture29817-2-tone-pearl-white-and-tangelo.jpg

Don't let their rag'n get to you. Nice, nice bike and love the color, I have two HD's an '02 Road King and never a drop of oil out of it either, now my '61 Pan is another matter.....but then does anyone out there still have a '61 Suzuki of any kind that they still ride?

Back