The Journey of a lifetime and a request to the .org

I would think the KTM adventure 990 would be a logical choice. It has won the dakar rally 6 consecutive times. The dakar is the most grueling rally in the world. Not that your friend would use it in this manner but its dependability has been proven. Here's a pic.

Or the BMW version would be a great bike as well

Motocycles_BMW_F_800_GS___BMW_Motorcycles_012148_.jpg

Go Malcolm go! Be safe out there, if you ever head out my way let me know.

Seeing how successful of a choice the rebel has been I guess that my pick of a TW200 wasn't all that terrible.

wow, what a great trip! this is an amazing experience he is having :beerchug:

Hello again to my friends in .oRg-ville :laugh: Malcolm is now somewhere on the outskirts of Mexico City, here's his latest update from November 30th:

Tomorrow is likely to be another great day as I explor the remains of the ancient city of Teotihuacan, just north of Mexico City. Started over 2,000 years ago, and in it´s hay day it had a population of about 125,000, it was Mexico´s first great civilisation. But before them were the Olmec´s,and countless other great civilisations and communities in the countries of Central and South America right down to the south of Chile. One thing they had in common was some understanding of the year, and certainly by the date of the Spanish arrival, the 365 day calender had been in use a ling time. Tomorrow in a little annual mile stone for me because it was the 30th November 2008 that I set off from Santiago to the southern tip of mainland Chile to start my ride north to Alaska. The mileometer on my Honda ´Rebel´ reads, 25,475, and what a great ride I have been having over amazing landscapes, through ancient histories, and coming face to face with many people of the 14 countries I have zig-zaged through. To think that I have so much more to see in the coming months is so exciting, and I just wanted to share this moment with you.
Malcolm

That's all for now folks.
-Jim

Can't wait for him to hit the west coast here. I know a few people who would like to meet him. :beerchug:

Well folks, Malcolm’s adventure continues :thumbsup:; he has now journeyed to Mexico’s Pacific coast and plans to take a ferry over to Baja and from there go north to the States. However, it appears his adventure got just a wee bit ‘wilder,’ as described in his own words below:

“Yesterday I came down about 2,700 meters from the icy mountains to the warmer Pacific coastal plain, and I am in Alamos, a small town built by the Spanish, which is now a national monument, and quite lovely. The mountains around the little town of Creel were amazing! 22 canyons, 9 deeper than the Grand Canyon, and so many others that it seemed that the peaks went on and on forever into the blue sky.
I am hoping to catch the night ferry to the south of Baja California on Tuesday, and there I guess that everything will be different again, as I ride it´s full length, north. Everything is good, and my right foot is slowly getting back to its normal size so that getting my boot on each morning isn´t so difficult. That was the result of colliding with a crash barrier about two weeks ago. It was such a relief getting my bike mended quickly so I wasn´t held up too much. I learnt the importance again of wearing the right gear at all times, and it was an experience sliding along the road with my bike following behind. I´m hoping that my boot, which was ripped open, won´t leak. That day didn´t start too well as I was attacked by two dogs as I was leaving a deserted mining village, high up in the mountains and clouds. Normally when this happens I can accelerate away, but the very narrow rough cobbled streets made this impossible, and one dog got its teeth into my boot whilst running alongside. I felt its teeth around my ankle, but later I discovered that it hadn´t drawn blood, and I have still to find a way to stop up the holes. Maybe I`m due for a new pair of boots.!”

I have to laugh about his casual outlook, after all this Malcolm’s primary concern is getting new boots. I don’t know about you folks but crashing in Mexico and getting attacked by wild dogs would overwhelm my concerns about my boots. :laugh:
-Jim

:laugh: he seems to have an amazing outlook on life and is actually living it to the fullest :beerchug:

Go Malcolm!

Thanks for the update. It's always a pleasure to hear the latest on Malcolm and his journey.

Wish him the best on the rest of his adventure! :)

Well .oRg-sters, Malcolm is alive and well and should be somewhere between Flagstaff AZ and Joshua Tree National Monument as we speak. Here's a couple of his last missives along with some photo's, enjoy:

Hi Jim'
Since my last up date I have been having a great ride through Mexico, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah and now Arizona. I was at the Grand Canyon yesterday, and today at Flagstaff my bike is being serviced, getting a new tyre etc. I have now clocked up over 32,000 miles, and the Rebel has never faltered: Great!
Tomorrow I will be heading west towards California, and the coast to smell the Pacific again, loosing altitude from here, 7500 feet, and hopefully the chill factor will gradually reduce as I leave the snow behind.
I hope all's well with you too, and I look forward to your up date.
Malcolm

And this after my reply to him:

Hi Jim,
It's very kind of you to recommend that I stay with your parents and or Kirk in San Diego, and to have your advice.
Yes, my route from here, Flagstaff, will be to Sedonan and then on Minor roads to Joshua Tree national Park, with many detours on the way. I had decided not to go to San Diego itself, but now with your kind suggestions I will, but first I will ring you.
By the way I did spend time touring all of the Baja peninsula, watching grey whales and much more. My routes are rarely direct.
Thank you again,
Malcolm

Here are the pic's:

IMG_1589.jpg

IMG_1587.jpg

IMG_1853.jpg

IMG_1832.jpg

IMG_1736.jpg

IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1615.jpg

IMG_1889.jpg

This makes me kinda jealous that he is gonna be able to do this great adventure! I am just happy when I can get out of town and head up north.

Well, I would have recommended a VFR as his weapon of choice. - Reliable, comfortable, good handling...and old guys just love them!

Seriously; all of the old dudes I know ride VFRs.

Well, I would have recommended a VFR as his weapon of choice. - Reliable, comfortable, good handling...and old guys just love them!

Seriously; all of the old dudes I know ride VFRs.

He's already on his Rebel and half way "done" with his planned motorcycle adventure, from the sound of it...

:poke:

Just seen this for the first time also. Way to go Malcom. Greta reading about his adventures. Too bad he isn't heading my way, I sure would like to sit down with him and talk for a few.

Malcom Malcom... you make me soooo jealous I have to admit, but let that not in any way hint that I wont wish you and greatest of journeys ever. Ride safe, enjoy ever sunset and sunrise and please, tell us about it right here
Cheers, God bless

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back