? about cutting exhaust

pack mule

formerly known as rtgt
Registered
I messed up hauling my bike back from Penn. after I purchased it. I used the hooks at the back of my bed to secure the bike at the passenger foot pegs. The hooks were not touching the pipes just the straps coming across. Well, when I arrived home I was suprised to find a dent in each exhaust can. It has been 1 1/2 years now and it still bugs me. My question is can I cut the pipes like I've seen the stock ones done? Will cutting approx. 4 inches require some changes to the computer? Or does anyone one have a way of removing the dents in them? The pipes are R-22, the one on the right is alot worse than the left. Pics provided Thanks

100_2877.jpg

100_2878.jpg

You might hook up with a dent repair guru and suck them out. Cutting the cans will have very little to no effect on the tune. Good luck with it.

I thought about the dent repair but wasn't sure if it could be massaged from the underside like they do on car repair.

I have done a bunch of Yosh and "Yosh style" exhaust cuts. You have several options...call Yosh and order a skin and you can get rivets for it and replace this out...you can drill the rivets out repair the dent and re-rivet it, and you can cut and redo very easily if you are good with tools.

IMO...call either a dent guy or get a new skin.

Re sleeve the cans or just cut them down...they are bolt ons, so no tuning needed.

Those look like the same one's I had which were relatively inexpensive, you should weight the cost/ "hassle" factor verse new ones. Someone will always buy those on ebay making it :thumbsup:

OEM mufflers  2-13-08 003.jpg

Mine was the rs3 carbon fiber series...think it was close to $200 for just the the sleeve. BIG difference.

yep, big difference between 65 and 170!! Funny thing about that exhaust on the katana, I got the full exhaust for $120 shipped on ebay and only thing wrong was a small hole on inside of muffler where swingarm nut had hit it when the bike it was on was wrecked. I ended up just using some high temp epoxy.....problem solved. If those stainless sleeves are that cheap, I would for sure just buy a replacement sleeve!

Last edited:
Trying to keep it cheap right now, that why I was looking to cut them down. Before I spend any money on them I'll go with the complete exhaust. I was looking at doing that in the next year, just wanting to fix that ding while it is sitting. I have all the tools and I really like the look, so it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for all of your replys. :thumbsup:

I have done a bunch of Yosh and "Yosh style" exhaust cuts. You have several options...call Yosh and order a skin and you can get rivets for it and replace this out...you can drill the rivets out repair the dent and re-rivet it, and you can cut and redo very easily if you are good with tools.

IMO...call either a dent guy or get a new skin.
hmm you can cut my Titanium can down for me :) (about 3") :)

I say CUT EM!!! They will look a LOT better too. :cheerleader::cheerleader: If done right then you can't even tell.

Before...
101_2807.jpg

After...
pipes.jpg

101_2807.jpg

pipes.jpg

How does the tone change after being cut down? Just get louder, or have a different note to it, too? I'm thinking about doing it to my scorpion cans.

Back