One size fits all filter wrench

chrisjp

GM of Haya's in the Hills
Donating Member
Registered
well i picked up some amsoil and a cap filter wrench from the dealership (10$) for my oem oil filter. so i take the right side off and there was just no way with my HMF high mount full system headers that i was going to slip that cap filter on. so i didnt have a strap filter wrench or a pair of plyers large enough to get it loose. so i asked a neighbor if he had a strap filter and he said no then came over to look at the bike and said...here let me show you a trick. and he asked for a leather belt. i was like WHOAAAAAAA. so i took some pics and it came off like butter. so remember this in a pinch it works for whatever size filter you have just place the buckle so as you pull in the direction to loosen it tightens down. and when i put it back on i used the belt the opposit direction to give it a little snug once it hand tightened up (shoulder just dont let me have hand strength still. see pics :thumbsup: (ps yes to remove the filter i did have to take off the oil cooler inlet hose connection right at the filter so i could pull the filter out and put in a new one.)

DSCF2961 (Medium).JPG

DSCF2962 (Medium).JPG

DSCF2963 (Medium).JPG

DSCF2964 (Medium).JPG

DSCF2965 (Medium).JPG

DSCF2966 (Medium).JPG

DSCF2967 (Medium).JPG

I've been using a leather belt on my 06 since new. Works great! The HMF system makes things too tight for the usual oil filter removal devices.

By the way, I never remove the inlet hose, as you mentioned. The hose will give just a little and you can pull out the filter easily. Re-threading a new one takes a little practice because the hose gets in the way, but be patient and it will go on nicely.

Did you remember to put tin foil on the pipes to catch the drip when you loosen the filter?

newspaper ...didnt have foil and i wiped it down after if any drips were on and for the 10 sec it took to loosent the bolts and simply move it out of the way...was way better then the frustration of figuring out how to wiggle it out and in while dripping hot oil. and the bolts and all quickly reattached

Last edited:
Chris thanks for the tip...always fun to deal with the fairing, eh? 2hip

no...dont take me any time at all to pull the ferring off and back on. i learned how to pop and rotate off and on long time ago so its just a issue of pullling the bolts

Back