Mph 200 down - after 30 years

MPH 200

Donating Member
Registered
Since we couldn't make it to Arkansas, a group from Austin went to the Texas Hill Country for a few days of riding. Finally after 30 years of riding I wreck on the street that did not involve a car pulling out in front of me. First run to 337 (my favorite road) early in the morning. I was leading a slower pace to check out the road conditions & look for any moisture remaining under trees on the road. No knee dragging. I have been down this road hundreds of times. I come in to this left, lean over & the front ends starts to slide out, I recovered & had enough time to say, "Oh ****e that was close." I guess when I was able to recover the front, I lost my line & I was in the dirt at the guadrail. The rear slid out & the bike ended up on top of me. The rear wheel hit the guard rail. The bike flipped over on the right side (Because screwing up the left just wasn't enough) & I flipped over on my back. I stopped, still in my lane & the bike stopped in the center of the oncoming lane. Lucky there was no traffic. Both bar ends snapped off, both sliders bent, right mirror snapped off, rear wheel bent & damage to everything except the hump? I picked up the bike & start it, no oil leak & ride it off the road. The rear wheel still holding air. Everyone gets there & we check it out, no probelm I will ride limp it back home. Get on the bike & the rear tire dumps - CRAP.

Bike got fixed enough to ride, Adam (Rubber2burn) found a used wheel & we still logged 700 miles.

I went back through the corner a few times & there is a patch a 1/4 way into the corner that has a bump in it, I assume this is what caused the initial front slide.

I didn't even get a scratch - Thanks to Komodo gloves, Syed Leathers, Sidi Boots & my Shoei Helmet. I wear full leathers every time I ride.

I am amazed at the sliders, I have heard all the horror stories about the aluminum sliders. Yes they bent the bolt, but no frame damage.

Vortex rear sets have a slight mark on both pegs, but no problems there either - quality product.

If anyone has any 2000 model body panels, tail, nose, tank, I am in the market. I do need both side mirrors as well. The rash is not too bad, but there wasn't a scratch on her. December will be her 10 year Birthday too.

WRECK3.jpg

WRECK4.jpg

WRECK6.jpg

WRECK9.jpg

WRECK7.jpg

WRECK12.jpg

WRECK11.jpg

WRECK20.jpg

WRECK13.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to hear you are Okay!
Testament for gear.
Sorry about the bike, but you are up and that's most important.
Bubba

Michael you did not tell me the tank took damage. Well if you want I can talk to some buddies of mine and we can get new plastic's and stuff for her if you want her back in mint condition.

Oh, that had to be depressing! Sorry to hear about it, but the important thing is no damage to you.

How about a brief video. You can see the gray patch where the dip is as my friend enters the corner.

- 337 short[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Michael you did not tell me the tank took damage. Well if you want I can talk to some buddies of mine and we can get new plastic's and stuff for her if you want her back in mint condition.

Thanks Adam. Wish you could have made the trip. The tank has some scratches on it, no dents.

glad you're ok. THe damage to the bike isn't to bad either. Now that you've got the Busa crash out of the way what's next. :thumbsup:

Michael, you forgot to mention how "lucky" you were to have the opportunity to pay $300 for a new Pilot Power from the local stealership to be mounted on the used wheel you bought from the guy in Kyle. :banghead:

Back