Moving mirrors for storage/transport

spotrot

Registered
One mirror needed to be twisted to its limit to get it closer to the bike on the RV lift I built.

I just twisted it at the ball joint and all was fine the first few times. One day the ball joint was so loose, the mirror wouldn't stay aimed. I figured it was bumped or something. So I bought another mirror assembly. After a couple moves to its limit, it also became too loose to use.

It wasn't until my third mirror that I noticed Suzuki has this wonderfull spring-loaded hinge inside the rubber boot.:banghead:

Now all I do is separate the boot at the big end and flip the mirror forward.

So in case someone else is as unobservant as I was:

The mirrors can be safely and repeatedly flipped out of the way at the hinge.

However, moving them to their limits at the ball joint may ruin them after a couple tries.

2004 model

mirror.jpg

thanks, i could use this when the movers are picking up my bike in between PCS moves

I've been folding it backwards, without separating the boot, for a while now, when parking in the garage. Never touch the ball-joint.

busa_02_800.jpg

Yep, the folding mirror stalks add a little weight, but there are a very nice feature for some situations. Thanks for pointing it out to folks who may not have know about it.

If you are putting it on a trailer and are needing to fold them forward that much I would just remove the mirror and put it back on later when you get to your destination. All you need is an 8mm socket I believe and when I take mine off for trackdays it only takes me about a minute to remove the mirror or put it back on :thumbsup:

Good lookin out :beerchug:

I fold mine in sometimes to get back in the garage , between the cars, but I haven't noticed it getting loser.

I'll keep you experience in mind tho... thanks.

you could have saved yourself a few mirrors if you had posted on the board that what you were doing and how the ball broke. :thumbsup:

glad you got it figured out. :beerchug:

Good lookin out :beerchug:

I fold mine in sometimes to get back in the garage , between the cars, but I haven't noticed it getting loser.

I'll keep you experience in mind tho... thanks.

OOOH!!! I should've read it closer! DOH! :whistle:

I thought the OP was saying the hinge got loose --- that's where I bend my mirror in... not at the ball.

Disregard me other reply...

But a good heads up anyway :thumbsup:

Back