240 Installation ? ? ? ?

DEMMYM

Donating Member
Registered
Hey guys, I was looking at the Bike tonight, ( OK I was giving her her evening massage ) when I got to looking at what all would need to be done to install the 240 kit Im thinking of getting. Heres my question and comment.

Im assuming with the wider rim in the rear, The sprocket will move out further hence the need for an offset front sprocket.

So if everything is moving to the left, How does my chain clear the frame of the bike.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

240 CHAIN 002.jpg

240 CHAIN 003.jpg

With the 240 kits, you have to notch the frame. (Yeah, sucks doesn't it.) The super wide (300mm+) bikes either are so wide, that they are completely outside the frame, or the have jackshafts.

Well that depends...I believe they just notch it a little, just to clear the chain, and this is why the wheel on 240 kits isn't centered. It moves to the left so you don't have to notch so far, that it wouldn't be safe.

Its a 1/4 inch for dead center...or less to be just off a bit. Do a search....there is a big write up of this on here somewhere.

BIGROD IS CORRECT.
ON THE 240 IT ISNT NECESSARY AT ALL.
HOWEVER IT WILL NOT BE EXACT CENTER.
THE AMOUNT OF NOTCHING ...OR GRINDING IS MINIMAL.
FOR A 250 IT REQUIRES A LITTLE MORE BUT
IS NOT NOTICEABLE TO THE NAKED EYE UPON COMPLETION.

ONCE YOU HAVE THE OLD ARM OFF IT IS VERY EASY TO DO.

YOU WILL ALSO HAVE TO GRIND A SMALL AREA FROM THE FRONT SPROCKET COVER TO ACCOMMODATE THE OFFSET FRONT SPROCKET.

DONT BE DISCOURAGED AND GOOD LUCK:thumbsup:

Notching the frame sound scary.... Exactly where do you notch it at and with what. Do anyone have a pic to point out where this notch would be?

THe notch goes.....Yes where the chain will rub the frame:poke:. To have a center tire or as near center as possible (1/8 off ) you notch the frame 1/8+ deep and 1/2 high. ** I have heard that the GenII do not take asmuch notching** You notch it with a grinder.....or a file if you have strong elbows and time to kill.

Or:rofl: put it all on and when the chain blows off after that 1st mile....notch the frame where the chain has already started to.

THere are several 240 101 topics here...Search newbi...search. One is like 3-4 pages long.

:rofl::rofl:

Or put it all on and when the chain blows off after that 1st mile....notch the frame where the chain has already started to.

THere are several 240 101 topics here...Search newbi...search. One is like 3-4 pages long.

micheal you need to get out and ride misty....skip the 240 for now and do it next winter...if you put to much bling on your woman in one season you will turn her into a ***** and she will no longer respect you other then for your $...LOL plus you dont want those pesky blue busa's to be able to pass you..do you?
Todd

Back